Defer...for experience of a lifetime? Watch

josee32
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Ok...so a bit of background....

I've just finished my 3rd year at college as i started again after my first year (personal reasons)....and have just completed my BTEC, i am supposed to be going to sheffield uni to study medicine with a foundation year in september, however, ive got an opportunity to travel for 5 months in september and i don't know what to do!

As i'm essentially already a year behind with uni and i'm going to have to do this foundation year before i start phase 1a...i don't know whether to have another year out??

I am soooo excited about going to university and i have got my grades so know i have got in....but i just don't know whether to defer it or not for 5 amazing months??

any ideas guys?! i'm really stuck here....

thanks in advance
inksplodge
  • CV Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i wouldnt defer, personally.
Miss_Scarlett
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by inksplodge)
i wouldnt defer, personally.
Seconded.
steve2006
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
where abouts is this trip of a lifetime
josee32
Rep:
?
generally travelling around the world but mainly in the americas/caribbean
Norfolkadam
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Miss_Scarlett)
Seconded.

Thirded

Not for 5 months. 12 maybe. You'll be bored as hell for the rest watching your friends have fun at Uni.
josee32
Rep:
?
(Original post by Norfolkadam)
Thirded

Not for 5 months. 12 maybe. You'll be bored as hell for the rest watching your friends have fun at Uni.

very good point....although i also want to do camp america so could have done that after? which would be another 2 months...
afc1886
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I would say yes go for it but the prospect of ebing 2 years behind evryone else in terms of earnings by the time you leave uni, also being what 24 without any money to speak of would suggest you shouldnt. Only my opinion though, if you feel you want to do it even given doubts about deferring, go for it, why should anyone tell you not to
groovychez89
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think its a great idea, you've got the rest of your life to go to university, people go when theyre like 40.. its not everyday you get these trips of a lifetime! and when you get back.. it'l give you plenty of time to get a job and save up a bit of cash before you go to uni!!
Norfolkadam
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by josee32)
very good point....although i also want to do camp america so could have done that after? which would be another 2 months...
Even so just imagine what it will be like sat on your sofa 3 months after getting back, no job, getting texts from your friends about how amazing Uni is and knowing you won't be there for another year. Not to mention the fact you are putting off earning and paying off student loans for another year.
Alison267
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
University will always be there, amazing opportunities won't be.
Many people go to university when there over 18, so i wouldn't have thought it'd matter that much that you'll be 2 years older.
I'd personally go travelling for 5 months. Then go uni next year. for the rest of the time you'll be able to get a job and be able to provide better for yourself, money wise.
josee32
Rep:
?
thank you everyone....has helped me think about it properly!

very much appreciated
Roobagnall
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
do it! youll regret it for ever if you dont.
You havnt really got anything to loose except a bit of time but youve got a lifetime of experiences to gain
steve2006
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i would defer. Its unlikely that once you finish uni you will have any free time. Plus you want to be a doctor which means even less free time. I would take the opportunity and defer
Excalibur
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I would ordinarily defer if I were in that situation; but you're going to study medicine (5 years) plus foundation year (1 year), and you're already a year behind (1 year). If you take out another year, you'd have 8 years ahead of you before you qualify as a doctor (or even 9, if you do an intercalated degree) - just take that into account!
blackeyedpea
Report 10 years ago
I'm probably better qualified to comment here because I'm old (hell, aged 35, I'm probably the same generation as your Mum).

Go on your trip, travel, learn.

You'll never regret it, but you *will* regret never having taken it - your next opportunity for a five or six month trip would be about the time that you retire in forty or so years' time.
magicbean
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Norfolkadam)
Even so just imagine what it will be like sat on your sofa 3 months after getting back, no job, getting texts from your friends about how amazing Uni is and knowing you won't be there for another year. Not to mention the fact you are putting off earning and paying off student loans for another year.
No, surely she'd be getting a job? That's valuable experience too. She'll get back Jan/ Feb and can go on Camp America in May, that's nothing!

Six years is a hell of a long time to be studying and am I right in thinking there's another couple of years training before you become a qualified doctor? Medicine isn't the best course to have a gap year after, go for it now!
Spotty Dog
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by afc1886)
I would say yes go for it but the prospect of ebing 2 years behind evryone else in terms of earnings by the time you leave uni, also being what 24 without any money to speak of would suggest you shouldnt. Only my opinion though, if you feel you want to do it even given doubts about deferring, go for it, why should anyone tell you not to

This makes me feel a whole lot better about going to uni at 21 and not completing until 24... :rolleyes: xD
paperclip
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
it's only 2 years, you might not have the chance to do something like this ever again!

go travelling, get a job when you get back and have a smashing year travelling then a smashing time at university
Annaconda
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
definitely go for it. you will still graduate when your only 26ish
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (558)
37.78%
No - but I will (115)
7.79%
No - I don't want to (103)
6.97%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (701)
47.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise