A crazy 2 year journey full of Smiles, Stress and Strops [GYG]

Watch
Becca216
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
EDIT: I am lazy and did not update this GYG for 7 months, it is now a summer GYG in preperation for my postponed Y12 mocks which are now in September/October

Helloooo,

I'm sat here after completing my first half term of A-levels - just another 9 1/2 to go until a-level exams (Oh sh*t that sounds wayyyy to close).

For me the first half term couldn't have gone much better, I took the risk of leaving my high school a moving to a college which was twice the size, leaving most of my friends behind as most of them stayed at my old school. But I have managed to settle in very well, I've made friends both in my classes and outside my classes. At the moment, for me, I haven't felt the jump from GCSE to A-level yet that everyone else is complaining about, but I know deep down that it is going too hit me next half-term. The teachers all seem really friendly and helpful, with designated subject help rooms open during the school days when I get stuck on something. So I am glad to say I think the risk of moving has paid off!

Anyway, you probably want to know a brief bit about what I am actually studying. In my GCSEs I got grades that i was truly over the moon with, getting: two 9s, five 8s, three 6s and an A*. At A-level I am studying four subjects (ahhh I know I am going to hate myself next year), which are: Maths, Physics, Geography and Further Maths (might just get an As in it). After A-levels I would like to go to uni to study engineering (probably civil or mechanical), but my mind could change over the next year or so.

At the moment I am currently writing this instead of doing my half-term homework, which I should probably start as I am visiting Nottingham Uni tomorrow, going up to the Yorkshire dales Friday/Saturday and then its my dads birthday on Sunday (and I thought I would have a nice relaxing half term holiday):facepalm:

If you have read this far, wow! Thank you! You must be procrastinating!
Oh and I thought at the end of each post I would leave a study tip, so here's today's:
Study tip #1: I've always found that have to be 'in the mood' to do a certain subject, so instead of writing myself a timetable I write myself a 'to do' list, so when I go to do some work I see what off that list I feel like doing. I personally find this increases productivity, meaning you have more time to chill later.
I will post a picture of mine when I decide to get out of bed and shake a leg

Spoiler:
Show
Tag list (I've never done this before so I hope this is okay)
5hyl33n
Last edited by Becca216; 4 months ago
Becca216
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Well, well, well....7 months ago I started this thread and what have I done to it...absolutely nothing:facepalm:

I know it's probably a bit late in the year to claim it as a GYG thread but I am going to try and post on it over the next few months because I have nothing better to do with my life at the minute
Becca216
Rep:
?
So I'll update you all on how my life is going, so I'll do that by cutting snippets out of my original post and just really talk about them...

just another 9 1/2 half terms to go until a-level exams
Hmm it is now 5 (assuming exams don't get pushed back) and yes I am more knowledgeable than I was back then but I am slightly petrified, about applying to uni.

I've made friends both in my classes and outside my classes.
I have settles down really well and I really like the friends have made, moving to college was a really good move for me, and I have just missed them all so much during lockdown.

At the moment, for me, I haven't felt the jump from GCSE to A-level yet that everyone else is complaining about
I have started to feel the jump, Maths it really hit me as we have now finished all the A2 work which I did find difficult in places and I now have the joy of Further Maths to look forward to next year.

After A-levels I would like to go to uni to study engineering (probably civil or mechanical), but my mind could change over the next year or so.
I am currently planning to study civil engineering at uni, but I am also looking at some degree apprenticeships.

I am visiting Nottingham Uni tomorrow

I loved Nottingham, the campus was lovely and the course seemed really interesting, I am planning to put that as one of my 5 options.

Anyway that's a mini update, I'll write a little about how I have found lockdown tomorrow
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Yayyy another GYG! This looks great! May I have a tag Becca216?
Toastiekid
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
maths, further maths and physics gang:woo: (i didn't do geography aha) further maths is great fun
i'm so glad you've made good friends:yep: i did a big move for sixth form and met the awesomest of people:gah: can you try to meet some of them from a distance now? i've found it lovely being able to do that in recent weeks
best of luck with everything:hugs:
Becca216
Rep:
?
(Original post by Toastiekid)
maths, further maths and physics gang:woo: (i didn't do geography aha) further maths is great fun
i'm so glad you've made good friends:yep: i did a big move for sixth form and met the awesomest of people:gah: can you try to meet some of them from a distance now? i've found it lovely being able to do that in recent weeks
best of luck with everything:hugs:
Ayyyy I know a few people at my college that do Maths, further and physics but I am yet to find someone that does geography as well :lol:
I am hopefully meeting up with some of them next week in a park which should be nice
Toastiekid
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Becca216)
Ayyyy I know a few people at my college that do Maths, further and physics but I am yet to find someone that does geography as well :lol:
I am hopefully meeting up with some of them next week in a park which should be nice
yeah maths, fm and physics is a pretty common combination:yep:
that sounds lovely, have a great time:woo:
Becca216
Rep:
?
So a bit of an update:

Before lockdown I was really enjoying college and my grades weren't too bad. For maths I was mainly getting Bs/As/A*s in the end of topic tests, which I was happy about, however I have started to struggle with some of the A2 content especially integration and some of the trig, which has made me question if I am good enough to do Further Maths next year. For physics my grades mainly ranged between C-A in the end of topic tests but I did manage to get an A* in the 'big February test' which I was over the moon about as that test covered everything we had learnt so far. Geography, well well well, it has been my weakest subject by far. My grades have fluctuated from Us to As to Ds to Bs to an A* it is crazy. I love the human topics but I sometimes find the physical topics a bit tedious.

Anyway my end of year exams got cancelled because of corona so I am hoping we have some kind of mocks in September so I have chance to prove myself before my predicted grades come out.

Since lockdown I have struggled massively, motivation has been my biggest issue. Pre-lockdown I never used to do any college work at home due to the amount of distractions, I would go into college an our early most days and would stay behind for an hour most afternoons just so I didn't have to work at home. Now...well I am struggling as I have no choice. But summer is nearly here so I guess that is a positive. But it is also a bit depressing as everything I wanted to do (events/seeing friends/ect) has been cancelled.

Anyway that is enough rambling for now, I promise it won't be another 7 months before I update this.
Becca216
Rep:
?
STUDY TIP TIME :woo:

Study tip #2: Eat, Drink and sleep well. This is one of my favourite tips because who doesn't like to eat and sleep! At the minute motivation is hard to find, so to make life easier make sure to have a good nights sleep (preferably at similar times each night) so that you are ready to wake for the day ahead. I recommend having at decent size breakfast, or at least something if you aren't that hungry as it will keep you healthy and will help you concentrate, also maybe treat yourself to a snack after you have done some solid studying, which can also act as motivation. I like to keep a bottle of squash on my desk at all times, staying hydrated is important especially in summer.
Becca216
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Soooo I am going into college tomorrow and Wednesday, for 1hr 15 for each of my subjects, I am a little nervous and worried but I am also super excited as I get to see a couple of my friends who are in at the same time as me I am a little behind on a couple of my subjects so I hoping my teachers will give me some advice, and maybe going into college will just give me bit of motivation to get back on top of my work.

Anyway I will let you know how it goes
Becca216
Rep:
?
Soooo I have been doing some thinking...I know it is a bit lat ein the year now to do a 'proper' GYG, but I was thinking that as I am likely to have mocks in September/October (Y12 ones were cancelled becuase of covid), that I will do like a mini summer GYG. Obviously I am going to use my summer to relax and actually be able to breath, but I want to do well in my mocks as they will play a key part in my predicted grades. So yeah I just thought I would share my thoughts on how I am going to do this
Becca216
Rep:
?
So I went in for two lessons in college today and it was.....different. I had Physics and Geography. In physics there was 7 of us and we just did a few revision questions as we have an online test on Thursday, it was nice to see my teacher and a few friendly faces, but not everyone in the class is in my 'usual' class. Geography was super useful, even though it wasn't my usual teacher, they gave us a load of revision materials that we could use to revise all the topics over summer, which should be good and then they gave us 5 mins of 1 to 1 with a teacher just to check we were okay..

It was strange as less than 10% of the usual number of students were there but it was nice to be back, even if it was for 2 hours and I got to see a couple of my friends which was nice.

Study tip #3 coming up tomorrow!! :woo:
Becca216
Rep:
?
I have had a very productive evening today, I did some of the revision stuff that geography handed out today, but I still haven’t started on any of the work that my teachers set this week...and tomorrow is another busy day as I am back in college. Oh well it looks like I’m going to have a busy weekend!!
Becca216
Rep:
?
STUDY TIP TIME :woo:

Study tip #3: Create a list or a mindmap of 3 goals that you are able to achieve in the next few months (for example revise for at least 1 hour a day or get a B on a certain test), and 3 goals that are a bit more long term (for example get into x University that requires x grades). This should make you feel like all the studying that you are doing has a purpose.
For example I have created a mindmap of all the unis I want to go to and their entry requirements, this motivates me to do well....
Becca216
Rep:
?
Second (and final) day in college, wasn't too bad. I had double maths and we just went through some practice questions that were related to things we had taught ourselves over lock down.

I have been really struggling over the last few days (and the whole of lockdown really) to do work, I am now atleast 3+ days behind on work and I have no idea how I am going to get back on track. It's just hard being stuck inside the same building all the time, I find it hard to seperate 'school time' and downtime..but I guess I am going to have to figure out how to get used to it as I think we'll probably end up having a second spike sometime during the next school year.

This weekend I am going to write out my goals/plans for summer, that will be working towards my October exams.
Becca216
Rep:
?
Good morning

I have no idea if anyone actually reads this but if they do I hope you have a good day

I am going to try and catch up on some of the work that am behind on today, so it could be quite a busy day. I have a physics zoom call this afternoon which should be nice. Hopefully I have quite a productive day and I can make up some lost time...
Toastiekid
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Good morning

I have no idea if anyone actually reads this but if they do I hope you have a good day

I am going to try and catch up on some of the work that am behind on today, so it could be quite a busy day. I have a physics zoom call this afternoon which should be nice. Hopefully I have quite a productive day and I can make up some lost time...
:hugs: i'm reading!
i hope your physics went okay (if you need any help with physics, tsr is really great for getting help with tricky questions)
struggling with motivation in lockdown is completely understandable and happened to so many people (me included), perhaps taking a bit of a break over the summer before getting back into schoolwork will help or talking to a teacher about it?
have a lovely weekend
Becca216
Rep:
?
(Original post by Toastiekid)
:hugs: i'm reading!
i hope your physics went okay (if you need any help with physics, tsr is really great for getting help with tricky questions)
struggling with motivation in lockdown is completely understandable and happened to so many people (me included), perhaps taking a bit of a break over the summer before getting back into schoolwork will help or talking to a teacher about it?
have a lovely weekend
Aww thank you :hugs:
The physics meeting went well, we just went over some tips for tackling multiple choice questions (which always seem harder than you think they are going to be ) but it was useful.
I am due to finish next Thursaday, which will be nice, I then plan to mainly have a break over summer, just doing some work here and there to keep my brain active

Hope you have a great weekend too
Toastiekid
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Aww thank you :hugs:
The physics meeting went well, we just went over some tips for tackling multiple choice questions (which always seem harder than you think they are going to be ) but it was useful.
I am due to finish next Thursaday, which will be nice, I then plan to mainly have a break over summer, just doing some work here and there to keep my brain active

Hope you have a great weekend too
that's great to hear i found the multiple choice questions in physics took me a while to get the hang of (especially when i hadn't really conceptually grasped topics) but once you get a more solid understanding of the different topics (and how they link and use all the tricks you learn about tackling them) they become much easier
that sounds like an awesome plan:woo:
thanks! (i realise that i have lost my perception of time and wished you a happy weekend on thursday- sorry!)
Becca216
Rep:
?
Morning all :wavey:

It is my last week of college this week before the summer break! :woo: It is going to be a busy one so I don't know how many updates I will do but I hope you all have a great week and achieve any goals you have set yourself!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (731)
33.83%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (924)
42.76%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (411)
19.02%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (95)
4.4%

Watched Threads