My hamster :( Watch

Sapphire_Eyes
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Yesterday it was my 20th and i found that my hamster had died.

It was sudden as i had checked on her the night before and she was fine, cause i ha changed her food and water and she was ok.

I looked to see if she was fine, and she was just lying there, on her side, and she had died in the night.

My brother had her orginally with another but we split them up when now his hamster kept biting and scrathing her and part of her fur never grew back. My mum says she was well loved and cared for a lot.

I've just kept thinking i didnt do enough though. I know she was a hamster, but she was my own hamster, my responisbllity. I was just wondering with other people how long other peoples hamsters lived and what breed are they/were they and if they lived alone and what circumstances they had when they brought them or came to own them?

Could she of got an infection though the bites?

Please dont be insulting
nuttygirl
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ah, sorry :hugs:

Beauty was 3 and a half when she died. no idea about her getting an infection, it doesn't sound very likely.

:hugs:
maria0208
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oh, I'm so sorry. My hamster died about a week after my 17th. I was really, really upset so I know how you feel. She was a Syrian; we got her from Pets and Home, and she was very healthy. It's possible the bites could have been the cause, but it could be age. My hamster lives for about a year; it does simply depend. Again, I'm sorry -hug-
randomgirl
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
:hugs:

I've had three hamsters over the years. I'm not sure of their breeds though. One of them lived for at least 3 years, the little cutie :yep: and the other two must've lived for at least 2 years or so.

I'm sure you cared for your hamster adequately, it was probably just her time sadly.
GemmyMonster
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If she was a syrian (the big ones) they should be alone. Smaller ones (dwarfs) can be kept together but will often fight.

Syrians usually live around 1.5 - 2 years. I've had them live between 14 months and almost 3 years. Dwarfs are usually 2 or so. Some people say 3.

But they sometimes do die without ever knowing why
Annaconda
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
This is going to sound really weird but are you 100% certain shes really dead?
because some hamsters go into an alost death like state but can wake up again a day or two later
princess_sue
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
aww im sorry. I think it was just her time by the sounds of it. becuase it does sound like she was looked after and loved.
FadedJade
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I have a Syrian and he's nearly 3. He was a rehab pet and I'm going to be at such a loss when he dies.
Sapphire_Eyes
Rep:
?
she was a chinese dwarf a female

my brother got her in november and i got her as mine during x-mas/jan time

heres a thread i made in jan with some background info http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=508692

she barley made it a year here though

My mum keeps saying that if i hadn't looked after her then she wouldnt of lived as long, she was so sweet as well and really chatty like making clicks and different noises. I filmed her on my mobile less then a week ago of her trying to move some tubes in her cage, and she was so happy and healthy and plently of energy.

She wasnt the quickest of hamsters after she moved into her own cage, she had an injury to her a back leg, that although recovered it always seemed like it wouldnt fully recover, im not a qualified vet so its only my opinion.
inksplodge
  • CV Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My hamster died when he was nearly 3... I think it's just old age.
inksplodge
  • CV Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Annaconda)
because some hamsters go into an alost death like state but can wake up again a day or two later
Oh, this reminds me of my boyfriend's hamster. It seemed to be dead but... it wasn't.
*Bleachage*
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I feel for you, i really do because I had a Roborovski hamster called Muffin.

One night, about 3 weeks ago, I looked into her cage and i tried to feed her some food, and when she wouldnt take it from me I realised something was up. It was only when she started to shake and wonder around her cage I knew that she was in a pretty bad way.
I didnt want to sleep that night because the only time she would eat or drink was when I gave it to her by hand, so imagine how I felt in the morning when I woke up to the sight of my hamster now very still, and not breathing like a marathon winner which she was doing previously.

This is why I can relate to you, I felt such guilt and "I could have done more" and my mum didnt really understand why I felt so bad about it, and especially when I felt terrible that she died on her own.

I now have a new hamster, a Syrian called Apricot. The pain does get easier

Jess x
Sapphire_Eyes
Rep:
?

please dont say that she was regird and still and lifeless and like rock hard like a statue.

we've burried her today but i couldnt the way i would of liked to cause the igloo we brought her is plastic so cant break down but she loved it.

i feel like ive failed her even in death cause i cant let her stay in her favourite place forever

(Original post by inksplodge)
Oh, this reminds me of my boyfriend's hamster. It seemed to be dead but... it wasn't.
she was to me, she was i would love it if tomorrow she isnt freaky but i would but if she is then i know shes happier, cause she isnt in pain or any distress anymore

(Original post by *Bleachage*)
I feel for you, i really do because I had a Roborovski hamster called Muffin.

One night, about 3 weeks ago, I looked into her cage and i tried to feed her some food, and when she wouldnt take it from me I realised something was up. It was only when she started to shake and wonder around her cage I knew that she was in a pretty bad way.
I didnt want to sleep that night because the only time she would eat or drink was when I gave it to her by hand, so imagine how I felt in the morning when I woke up to the sight of my hamster now very still, and not breathing like a marathon winner which she was doing previously.

This is why I can relate to you, I felt such guilt and "I could have done more" and my mum didnt really understand why I felt so bad about it, and especially when I felt terrible that she died on her own.

I now have a new hamster, a Syrian called Apricot. The pain does get easier

Jess x
She always took sunflower seeds, she went mad for them, but this time she wasnt actually bothered, that night i fed her one but she didnt actually eat any of it at all so i left it for her. She had a cut so found it hard to eat anything. She couldnt live with another hamster after what happened because it was quite fercious and we was told that the other one might of killed her, she seemed to prefer been on her own anyway
*Bleachage*
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Im guessing she was a Syrian then, they always prefer to live alone. My Robo (Roborovski) used to LOVE sunflower seeds, used to literally stand up to snatch one if I was holding it above her head! That was when i realised she wasnt well because it wouldnt matter if she had just eaten a full bowl of food she would still eat them!
Sapphire_Eyes
Rep:
?
sounds like what Baby did, she was so small and cute so thats her she got her name, im not to creative with names!

Cause she had to be hand fed a bit whilst she got better they were perfect for her to eat

Now i'm thinking i hope i havent buried her alive

She destroyed loads of toilet tubes to get the bedding perfect for her bed in her igloo i just wish i could of burried her in her bed.
k823127
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

Really?

Ahh crap i buried my hamster in the garden when it 'died'
Annaconda
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
dont worry, most of the time they will actually be dead, it just happens in a small number of cases i think
theredwindmill
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
aww :hugs: we used to have 40 hamsters at the most and they can deteriorate (Sp?) pretty quickly, its happened a lot to us. We had a hamset, Albert, who lived for 5 years
(Original post by inksplodge)
out neighbours hamster was like that, they asked us to bury him because they thought he was dead. so we put him in a ice cream container without the ice cream hehe and left him by the door. In the morning my mum heard scrathcing and the hamster who was thought to be dead had woken up from his hibination (sp?), we kept him and called him Lazerous
*Bleachage*
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I left my hamster in a box for a few days after she died, I checked for a pulse and breathing several times before I buried her.
When my rabbit was put down my dad buried him (Dylan but I always spelt it Dillien) in the garden straight away, which I thought was wrong because I wanted to hold him and stroke him for a couple more days, which is why Muffin had an open coffin for a while.
*Bleachage*
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I left my hamster in a box for a few days after she died, I checked for a pulse and breathing several times before I buried her.
When my rabbit was put down my dad buried him (Dylan but I always spelt it Dillien) in the garden straight away, which I thought was wrong because I wanted to hold him and stroke him for a couple more days, which is why Muffin had an open coffin for a while.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (404)
37.72%
No - but I will (82)
7.66%
No - I don't want to (75)
7%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (510)
47.62%

Watched Threads