Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I have to choose my A levels soon and im thinking-

Geography
Economics
English Lit
Politics

But im going to do one more, and its either Biology or Maths- which do you think is more usable? I will deffinately enjoy Biology more and in all honesty im intimidated by some of the A levels maths I've seen banded around but I've been told it will still be the better choice.

I got two A's in science, sat in year 10.
two B's in Math, sat in year ten and re-took in year 11.

Thanks in advance
~*~rAiNbOw~*~
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What sort of career plans do you have, if any?
thanette
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Biology-that's my two cents. Really interesting, though far, far more in detail than at GCSE.
PoisonDonna
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Maths would really be more useful. If you're naturally good at maths it will be a breeze, if not you'll have to put some work in.

Biology on the other hand is a lot easier, it's just common sense and learning some words :p:

If you need neither, go for what you enjoy more, which appears to be Biology.
inksplodge
  • CV Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you prefer biology and think you'll find it interesting, go for biology. Don't feel forced to take a subject you're not really willing to.
princess_sue
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
maths. it looks good on your CV - will most probably use it in every job to some extent...however if you feel your grade will suck because you enjoy Biology more do that.
trefusis128
Rep:
?
Thanks all!
I have no real career aim so the worlds my lobster if you like.

How hard is maths at A level? I think I could get a resonable grade if I really got into in and tried, I enjoy maths at secondary but I genuinely think that is down to my teacher not the subject.

I think I could pass Biology with less of a struggle but in all honesty I dont enjoy it in any big way it just doesnt scare me as much as maths!
callum9999
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by princess_sue)
maths. it looks good on your CV - will most probably use it in every job to some extent...however if you feel your grade will suck because you enjoy Biology more do that.
You will not use A-level maths in virtually any job.
princess_sue
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by callum9999)
You will not use A-level maths in virtually any job.
Ive had my placement job for two weeks in New product development (Flavoured Milks) and I have already used aspects of my A Level maths. And ill be using it during my full time career...maths is pulled into every job in some way or another!
callum9999
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by princess_sue)
Ive had my placement job for two weeks in New product development (Flavoured Milks) and I have already used aspects of my A Level maths. And ill be using it during my full time career...maths is pulled into every job in some way or another!
I know maths is but I doubt it is at A-level standard in many jobs.

Just out of interest, where does A-level maths come into flavoured milk development? Or is it something like integration to make the packaging etc.?
princess_sue
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by callum9999)
I know maths is but I doubt it is at A-level standard in many jobs.

Just out of interest, where does A-level maths come into flavoured milk development? Or is it something like integration to make the packaging etc.?
Ive used it in understanding costing formula's, and other such formula's for the likes of packaging specs and probably use it in loads more places aswell before the year is out.
Echolife
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I would say Maths would be more useful, but I'd go with the one you enjoy the most. I took chemistry purely because i was good at it, not because I enjoyed it and regret that decision.
Sarahl89
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I got an A in maths in yr11 & used to enjoy it, then managed to average Us in AS and ended up dropping it before the summer exams.. just couldnt do it - lots of people do manage it fine though, (i was just stressed with the combo of chem & maths - if you find your other choices easier / understandable you should be finee.)

i lovee biology Alevel though, it was so interesting! if you enjoy it more then id definately go for that! Also, geography was my total favorite subject, the Alevel is soo good, you'll enjoy it
GemmyMonster
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you've no idea where you're going, could you remove one of the others and do bio and maths? Solve the choosing issue? Or are you set on those 4?

Do you have any idea of direction? I know Maths is useful for economics. And I take it you don't want to do a science degree? But if you could at least eliminate what you DON'T want to do, would make choosing easier.
trefusis128
Rep:
?
I am dead set on those four in all honesty, I deffinately dont want to do a full science degree but want to keep the path of geology ect open and I thourhgt you needed another science to do this?

However Economy also screams out at me and this makes me lean majorly towards doing maths. I think it hindges on my Resit results tbh.
shootbangfire
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Depends which degree you want to do. Economics would probably be helped more by maths, and I can't see how your other possible degrees would tie in with Biology.
trefusis128
Rep:
?
I was told that for geosciences (geology ect.) I would need another science.

However, due to the obviouse pay benifits aswell as reknown and satifaction I will proberly be aiming for Law, politics or economy at degree level. So now Im thinking maths is essential, I might just need to grow some balls and grab the bull by the horns.
GemmyMonster
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well looking on UCAS, for Geological Sciences Cambridge say 2 of Physics, Maths, Chemistry and Biology. For Geology, Oxford says Maths and Physics or Chemistry.

Used them as a quick guideline only. But maybe look at some prospectuses or look at courses at a few unis?

Just looked, Birmingham asks for 2 sciences either both A2, or 1AS and 1A2 - with Geography included as a science. Their Geography and Geology only asks for Geography to A-Level.

So there can be large differences :dontknow:

ETA: So if you took Maths, it would leave options for Law and Economics better open. But you're better getting an A in biology than a C in Maths.

Also think about how hard Maths GCSE would've sounded in year 7!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.83%
No - but I will (88)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (560)
47.82%

Watched Threads