BBC graduate article from 2003 - could have been todays news.... Watch

lifehitshard
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3068443.stm

I find this really depressing to read. What are you're views to this and the jobs after graduation?
Dr. Robotnik
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well I did about 9 job applications from the beginning of my final year at uni (my graduation is next week) and I only got 1 job offer out of those 9 applications. To be honest, the first couple of applications were really bad cos I didn't really put much effort into it as I was depending on grades and did no research into the companies/firms and the job role which had a big impact on my success.

But gradually I realised what was expected of me to prove my worth to potential employers and I managed to convince somebody to give me a job. I suspect a lot of the comments at the end of that BBC article where people say they did 150 applications (which I think is an insane amount!) and still got no jobs is a clear case of quantity over quality. Still I will say that it's not easy, but personality and charm are ultimately what get you through interviews and assessment days couple with the ability to demonstrate you have the required competencies to succeed in the job.

Even if you have to make **** up in the interviews (only advised if you get stuck coming up with a true example).
BBBBen
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think what people lose sight of is how difficult it can be getting any sort of good job without a degree. I spent 2 years after A-Levels trying to and just ended up in constant dead-end jobs; its then even more soul-destroying to see graduates end up in far better jobs as you just grind away! Also don't ignore the fact that a lot of jobs require a degree as a minimum requirement, so whilst a degree is not a guarantee of a job, you can be damned sure you will need one to compete at all. Hence why I am now heading to university!

I think most university students now realise that to be able to compete in the job market they must be rounded individuals with work experience, some extra-curriculars such as societies and perhaps a bit of travel, as well as their degree. Access to these things is so simple now that there can be no excuse for not taking part.

Finally its all about mindset, if you think you won't get a good job then it usually does to come pass. I am looking at a number of competitive careers for when I finish and I am certain that I will use the coming the 4 years to create a very powerful CV.
prodriven
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm struggling to see the relevance of a 5 year old article with the current job market :confused:
ThePants999
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hmmmm... I'm fairly sure I remember reading that precise article when it came out
elizabeth27
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I definitely think this article applies today still. I have probably applied to 30 places, and done some assessment centres etc as well, throughout the whole of my final year and since finishing in May this year - I have now graduated with a 1st, I also have volunteer work and significant work experience in the area of my degree (marketing), but still have not been successful getting a job... i will also add, that I didn't even get a position with the company I have worked for for 2 years!
It is a really unlucky time to graduate this year I think, with the economy being how it is, many companies dont seem to be employing, or even making people redundant.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The jobs are still there
but there are more graduates
if your good you will still be taken but it has always been the case you might need to make 20+ apps
Prince Rhyus
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Read the comments after. The editor of Prospects magazine said:

AGR represent the big companies who recruit graduates but according to the Institute for Employment Studies less than 20% of graduates go on to high-flyer graduate schemes.

And

What is important for graduates looking for jobs is not that they get a 'graduate job' but they get a job that matches their skills attributes and ambitions with a job and a company regardless of size or brand name.

A university careers advisor also said

Let's be more honest and stop pretending all graduates get huge starting salaries, those who go to Oxford, Durham, and Cambridge might but the vast majority don't. Probably the AGR member companies employ 15% of graduates. Real starting salaries for graduates from "new Univs are more like 14-17K.

It took me 4 years of groundwork before I got into a "graduate" post - but am stronger for those years of learning and preparation.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think to earn less than 15k with a degree makes the whole thing pointless. The degree would have added little/no value and since your not paying off the loan your getting more into debt because of the interest.
prodriven
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by elizabeth27)
I definitely think this article applies today still. I have probably applied to 30 places, and done some assessment centres etc as well, throughout the whole of my final year and since finishing in May this year - I have now graduated with a 1st, I also have volunteer work and significant work experience in the area of my degree (marketing), but still have not been successful getting a job... i will also add, that I didn't even get a position with the company I have worked for for 2 years!
It is a really unlucky time to graduate this year I think, with the economy being how it is, many companies dont seem to be employing, or even making people redundant.
Depends on the Industry, I know of many companies that are having trouble recruiting people fast enough but then of course theres always some companies who are trying to tighten purse strings. If you've been able to make 30 applications then their is clearly no shortage of jobs, perhaps just lots of very suitable applicants - but as I say, that is always going to be a sector specific problem. Keep hunting though, I'm sure you'll find the right job soon :gthumb:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (179)
39.51%
No - but I will (25)
5.52%
No - I don't want to (32)
7.06%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (217)
47.9%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise