Carla02
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hey everyone.
I want to study Hispanic Studies and Politics at uni, but would anyone mind explaining me what Hispanic studies is fully about, as I need to do more research on it but cannot find anyone who takes it. Thanks x
FionaMG
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi.

Hispanic studies would generally include a Spanish language module and modules addressing different aspects of Spanish and Latin American history, culture and current affairs. Depending on the university, there could also literature or linguistics modules. Some universities also offer a Portuguese language module as part of Hispanic studies.

There will almost certainly be the opportunity to spend a year abroad in a Spanish-speaking country. At some universities this will be compulsory; at others it will be optional.

I think you will find it helpful to read the full details of the course at each of the universities you are considering because there is considerable scope for variation and you might find that some universities will offer modules you would love to do, whereas others may have modules that you would absolutely hate but which are compulsory, and this could be a deal breaker for you.

If there is insufficient information on the website of any of the universities you are considering, do not be afraid to ring or e-mail them. They will be happy to provide you with more details.

I hope this helps.
Good luck.
Carla02
Rep:
?
(Original post by FionaMG)
Hi.

Hispanic studies would generally include a Spanish language module and modules addressing different aspects of Spanish and Latin American history, culture and current affairs. Depending on the university, there could also literature or linguistics modules. Some universities also offer a Portuguese language module as part of Hispanic studies.

There will almost certainly be the opportunity to spend a year abroad in a Spanish-speaking country. At some universities this will be compulsory; at others it will be optional.

I think you will find it helpful to read the full details of the course at each of the universities you are considering because there is considerable scope for variation and you might find that some universities will offer modules you would love to do, whereas others may have modules that you would absolutely hate but which are compulsory, and this could be a deal breaker for you.

If there is insufficient information on the website of any of the universities you are considering, do not be afraid to ring or e-mail them. They will be happy to provide you with more details.

I hope this helps.
Good luck.
So what would you say is the difference between studying Hispanic studies and Spanish
FionaMG
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Carla02)
So what would you say is the difference between studying Hispanic studies and Spanish
Essentially, it boils down to there being more focus on non-language-related aspects and less on the language learning per se. But again, it all varies widely from university to university, which is why you need to study their course descriptions carefully to ensure you pick the one that's best for you.
Carla02
Rep:
?
Thank you!
University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hey everyone.
I want to study Hispanic Studies and Politics at uni, but would anyone mind explaining me what Hispanic studies is fully about, as I need to do more research on it but cannot find anyone who takes it. Thanks x
Hi!

I don't study Hispanic studies exactly in my degree (Spanish and ab initio Italian with European Studies) but I have a module that is very similar (1st year it was Spain since the 20th century, and 2nd year was called Latin American studies). These covered the basic history, politics, literature, and culture (film and art) of the country since the 20th century. I can only speak for Bath, but this module covered such a large range of topics that we would be able to choose 2 of our favorite lectures of the whole semester and be examined on them.

Have you considered Spanish and Politics at Bath at all? Let me know if you have any questions about it

Katie, 3rd year Modern Languages student
Carla02
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Bath)
Hi!

I don't study Hispanic studies exactly in my degree (Spanish and ab initio Italian with European Studies) but I have a module that is very similar (1st year it was Spain since the 20th century, and 2nd year was called Latin American studies). These covered the basic history, politics, literature, and culture (film and art) of the country since the 20th century. I can only speak for Bath, but this module covered such a large range of topics that we would be able to choose 2 of our favorite lectures of the whole semester and be examined on them.

Have you considered Spanish and Politics at Bath at all? Let me know if you have any questions about it

Hey!
What would you recommend that I include about Spanish in my PS since I did not study it for A level or GCSE, but instead on my own.
To answer your question, no, I have not as I do not wish to move out! But it may be worth a look for me. Thanks x
University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hey!
What would you recommend that I include about Spanish in my PS since I did not study it for A level or GCSE, but instead on my own.
To answer your question, no, I have not as I do not wish to move out! But it may be worth a look for me. Thanks x
I'd say there's a lot to mention given you taught yourself. I would highlight the fact that being self-taught shows how passionate you are about languages and the dedication and drive you have to improve. Definitely include your interests in the cultural side of Spain/Latin America, whether that be the books, movies or music you enjoy.

I'd encourage anyone to be really open in the application process and explore all options! You never know what you might end up finding - interestingly I applied to all Spanish and Politics courses aside from Spanish, Italian and European Studies at Bath - and by the time it came to choosing between them, that was my first choice!

Let me know if you have any more questions

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (297)
60.37%
Yes- I don't like it (24)
4.88%