Just starting A-Level Maths, for 2020.

Watch
satsun
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
How can I be efficient and fast, Edexcel help!
studyrani
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do you mean efficient and fast as in revising the content? If so, I suggest making flashcards for every topic you complete, summarising basic concepts and formulas you will need to remember (you only need to do one card for each topic). This will be great when you're at the end of your course. You can quickly skim over the notes to refresh your memory, and focus more on exam practice. This especially helped me in stats where there are some wordy answers you will need to provide based on key words and phrases that need to be memorised.

As well as that, I really suggest actually understanding what's behind the concepts (e.g how the formula for differentiation came about, how the formulas for calculating probabilities, variance, and mean came about). "Khan academy" is a website which is amazing for this! It really helped me understand things like trigonometric identities, and calculus.

And finally, something you will probably get a lot, try and do exam practice asap! This doesn't mean you need to be doing exam papers two months into your course. Rather, every time you finish a topic, search up online (or buy a workbook) good exam questions based on that topic. Exam technique is what will be the difference between an A and an A*.

If you're thinking of maths for uni (or some sort of STEM subject for uni), consider doing some UKMT olympiad questions sometime in year 12. A lot of admission tests have questions which use AS level maths content, but the questions force you to think outside the box, so students that usually get full marks in an AS paper may struggle a lot with these types of questions. If you're not interested in admission tests, no matter, doing these types of questions can help you think differently and can help do your Alevel maths exams much quicker and easier!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (43)
5.75%
Uncertainty around my education (86)
11.5%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (80)
10.7%
Lack of purpose or motivation (96)
12.83%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (39)
5.21%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (42)
5.61%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (81)
10.83%
Financial worries (50)
6.68%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (32)
4.28%
Exposure to negative news/social media (46)
6.15%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.21%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (71)
9.49%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (58)
7.75%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed