A worrying statistic Watch

Simplicity
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Well, I was reading an article about what subject gets you the most girls. Basically, a study of Cambridge students who do different subjects, get asked about their partners like how many you had or our you a virgin.

Now, I was looking at it, History is near the top and medical degree near the top, with a low percent saying they are still virgin. Skim down, Vets last, then Theology, which is no surprise as religious people would not have lots of sex and go out partying extra. Then mathematics, I just look down in shame when I read 26% still virgins.

Why is this? Seriously, is their no girls studying mathematics or something. Maybe, it because if you study mathematics you're likely to be a geek. So pratically, if you study maths than say bye bye to having sex. Maybe, studying math leaves you with little time to actually go out and find a girl or something.

Anyway, do you agree with the statistic above, or is it just Cambridge mathematics i.e. mathmoth. I know somebody studying mathematics at Cambridge and he said I'm proud I don't have a girlfriend, however I suspect he might be gay.
generalebriety
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well, no; if you're completely socially inadequate, say bye bye to having sex. Turns out that being socially inadequate, while not being necessary to study maths, does help quite a bit. So whether you choose to study maths or history, you'll get the same amount of sex. Panic not.
Prudy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Simplicity)
Well, I was reading an article about what subject gets you the most girls. Basically, a study of Cambridge students who do different subjects, get asked about their partners like how many you had or our you a virgin.

Now, I was looking at it, History is near the top and medical degree near the top, with a low percent saying they are still virgin. Skim down, Vets last, then Theology, which is no surprise as religious people would not have lots of sex and go out partying extra. Then mathematics, I just look down in shame when I read 26% still virgins.

Why is this? Seriously, is their no girls studying mathematics or something. Maybe, it because if you study mathematics you're likely to be a geek. So pratically, if you study maths than say bye bye to having sex. Maybe, studying math leaves you with little time to actually go out and find a girl or something.

Anyway, do you agree with the statistic above, or is it just Cambridge mathematics i.e. mathmoth. I know somebody studying mathematics at Cambridge and he said I'm proud I don't have a girlfriend, however I suspect he might be gay.
:rofl:
Cexy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Why is this statistic worrying?

As Popper said, "correlation don't imply causation".
manderlay in flames
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
maths---->autism---->low social skills----> damn
DomAD
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm pretty sure doing maths doesn't turn you into a socially inept virgin-person, it's just those kinds of people are more prominent in maths degress than others.
Cexy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by only nihilism)
maths---->autism---->low social skills----> damn
I give up.
Simplicity
Rep:
?
Turns out that being socially inadequate, while not being necessary to study maths, does help quite a bit.
Isn't their a strong correlation.
So whether you choose to study maths or history, you'll get the same amount of sex.
Isn't their alot more females studying history than maths. So if your sitting in a class of a hundred with only 11 females, say bye bye to sex. In my Further math class their is mostly males and about 3 females. In my Psychology class, their is 3 males and about 15 females.
generalebriety
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Are you really asking me to insult myself?

Isn't their alot more females studying history than maths. So if your sitting in a class of a hundred with only 11 females, say bye bye to sex. In my Further math class their is mostly males and about 3 females. In my Psychology class, their is 3 males and about 15 females.
Yes. So? That doesn't mean "say bye bye to sex", it means "get out of lectures and meet some people who aren't mathmos".
-WhySoSerious?
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There are a few girls at my college thinking of doing maths...but yeah, it would probably be low overall
RightSaidJames
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
:rofl:

You've got the variables in the statistics the wrong way round; the people who take subjects like Maths are more likely to be less socially capable. In real world terms, the subject you take doesn't affect your chances at all, it just depends on the kind of person you are and the reason behind you taking that subject; if you're a huge maths nerd to the point of it being an all-consuming obsession (along with computer games and sci-fi), you might get less action than other people, but if you took maths simply because you're good at it and know you'll do well, then it's a different story.

Note that the above is a huge generalisation.
Prudy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

Do you have a rule that you can only be interested in people on the same course as you?

*there's a bigger world out there, rest of college for example* :ninja:
GemmyMonster
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Vets are last?! But that's like almost half girls! :eek:

Bet doctors is high.

And link :p:
qgujxj39
Report 10 years ago
Then mathematics, I just look down in shame when I read 26% still virgins.
...which means that 74% percent of 'em aren't, which is, erm, a significant majority.
generalebriety
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Prudy)
Do you have a rule that you can only be interested in people on the same course as you?

[/irrelevant]
Dirac Delta Function
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
^^ well, some things just can't wait.
Simplicity
Rep:
?
Yes. So? That doesn't mean "say bye bye to sex", it means "get out of lectures and meet some people who aren't mathmos".
When they say, what do you study? if you say maths. Most people have math anxiety, so mention math and they have a heart attack. Also, wouldn't two people have more in common if they study the same thing, hence they can talk about it.
Bateman
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't think it's because they're studying maths that they're not getting any, if the same people not getting any had done medicine, they'd still not get any, if that makes sense.
qgujxj39
Report 10 years ago
if you say maths. Most people have math anxiety, so mention math and they have a heart attack.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
RightSaidJames
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
When they say, what do you study? if you say maths. Most people have math anxiety, so mention math and they have a heart attack. Also, wouldn't two people have more in common if they study the same thing, hence they can talk about it.
What? Lol. If that's the case, I may as well give up on women not taking Music, because taking Music apparently makes you gay, doesn't it?

[/sarcasm]
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.86%
No - but I will (88)
7.52%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (559)
47.78%

Watched Threads