Forced to be in work/education post-16?

Watch
Kiipp
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm currently 16, and a couple of months into college. Now I don't mind college at all and I'm a happy guy. However I have big goals in the future; none of which will require any qualifications. My priority at the moment is programming - I self-taught myself to program, and through developing games on the 'Roblox' platform, at peak I have made over £3,000 in a week. Due to this, I have decided it would be best for me to quit college and focus full-time on this.

This would be my primary source of income for a couple of years, however my goal in the end is to become an athlete, and quitting college will allow me enough time to pursue my dreams. Currently, staying in college takes on average 10 hours a day (Mon-Fri). With this schedule, I am not able to pursue my dreams.

So having done some research, am I seriously forced to stay in full-time education/apprenticeship until I turn 18? I find this to be seriously ridiculous considering it does nothing but hinder me from chasing my dreams.

tl;dr I have big dreams and big aims that don't include any qualifications, currently earning £3,000 a week from developing on the 'Roblox' platform. Am I forced to stay in full-time education/apprenticeship?
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In England it is the law to do one of the following until you’re 18:

• stay in full-time education, for example at a college
• start an apprenticeship or traineeship
• spend 20 hours or more a week working or volunteering, while in part-time education or training.

If you are wanting to become an athlete you shouldn't be leaving it for a few years, you should be attached to a club and in training now!
adam271
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I stopped going to school at 15. But I am 27 now.
I regretted it.

But no one stopped me, ye I got a few letters in the post that I promptly ignored.
Kiipp
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Surnia)
In England it is the law to do one of the following until you’re 18:

• stay in full-time education, for example at a college
• start an apprenticeship or traineeship
• spend 20 hours or more a week working or volunteering, while in part-time education or training.

If you are wanting to become an athlete you shouldn't be leaving it for a few years, you should be attached to a club and in training now!
I do attend a club and train; though with College, I'm unable to train as hard as I want to as well as keep my income. It simply takes up too much time. I have thought through all possibilities that I would have in the future, and none of them would require any qualifications. College would literally waste 2 years of my life. What could the possible consequences be if I dropped out? Does earning money on my own through games development not count as 'self-employed'? I am earning above average of an adult after all.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (69)
37.7%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (18)
9.84%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (12)
6.56%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (45)
24.59%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (24)
13.11%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (15)
8.2%

Watched Threads