Lying. Watch

k823127
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
If your ex and so called friend constantly lies to you and you're stupid enough to even carry on talking to them, could you look past lies and just be a friend?

Basically would you be friends with someone that is a compulsive liar?:

Could be about little things or huge things??
generalebriety
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I am friends with a couple of compulsive liars. As long as it's not malicious and doesn't seriously affect me, it's fine; I can generally tell when they're lying anyway.
Hedgeman49
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I would feel very uneasy - my friendships are based strongly on trust so if somebody was constantly lying to me (even small lies) I'd start to have doubts.
PoisonDonna
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I really wouldn't. I just have issue with lies down to past stuff. I'm not talking about pointless little lies, obviously they happen all the time, but if it's intentional lies I just really can't be arsed with it. I don't see the need or point to it. I'd rather know a few bad things about a person and be able to respect them that have them lie to me.

When it's face to face you can pick lies out in an instant really, so it's a pointless thing to do.

Like I said, I have issues with lying :mad:
Cherry Kisses
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I hate to admit that I find myself lying compusively about tiny things, it ruined my relashionship though. I need help to over come it.

I was great friends with someone at college who lied all the time but she was a great friend though, it didnt bother me.
Jamin
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ive been "friends" with a few people like this throughout school.

However, instead of pulling them up about it when i know they are lying, i kind of just slowly cut them out of my life, talking to them about important stuff less and less as i knew when we all left school we'd all go seperate ways and that i didn't have to keep in touch anymore.

I can't stand associating myself with people who lie all the time.
glow stick
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I wouldn't, it's just a very annoying personality trait.

it would be too hard to trust them, and in pretty much every relationship if you don't have trust what have you got?
kinglrb
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I hate lying but it wouldn't stop being friends with a certain somebody just because they're a compulsive liar. I'd say about 80% of time you can tell that they're lying. I don't understand why people feel the need to lie though
keekee107
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
One of my exs is a compulsive liar - just about little things, and, to be honest, I'm not really all that bothered. I know when he's lying because I'm now such close friends with him (incidentally it's why he never lets people get too close to him but I kind of broke that). It's a different kind of friendship than that I have with other friends though and I do think that lying really ruins trust in a friendship/relationship. I don't think I could ever go out with someone who I knew was a compulsive liar.

At the same time though, I'm a hypocrite because I also seem to have problems with lying - to the point of it being compulsive at sometimes. It's like I have two personalities - almost, and I really do speak before I think sometimes. This means I get myself into absolutely ridiculous situations and have to lie my way out of them so frequently because I've agreed to things I really don't want to do. Sometimes it scares me how good a liar I am. I don't like the trait and really try not to lie but sometimes it seems the only way out... And sometimes I just say things about me that aren't true - like how I feel, my opinions etc and mould myself into them. A lot of that is awkwardness/nervousness and a lot of that is just not really knowing who I am - so I change my views like the weather . On the other side I can be cripplingly honest...
pritnep
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think the old saying "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me" comes into play when this happens.
RightSaidJames
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If it's just lies about stupid things (I used to have a friend who'd make up stuff involving encounters with BB-Gun-wielding gangsters, cars and general show off stuff), then maybe just accept it as part of who that person is? It's just an annoying character trait if the lies don't involve you or people you know.
Ang|ophi|e
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't surround myself with compulsive liars. But I have a friend who can be manipulating sometimes. I just don't tell my personal information to them. Keep them close but not close enough.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
One of my friends has a self-proclaimed 'Web Of Lies' which he maintains to his girlfriend. The problem is, he forgets what he has said and then she catches him out :p:

I don't like people who lie to get attention or sympathy, it's just stupid.
EnR
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No way. People like that are sick and should be treated accordingly. If they refuse to acknowledge it or do something about it, cut them out. Even if they do something about it, cut them out. They're probably lying about it anyway.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (371)
37.29%
No - but I will (75)
7.54%
No - I don't want to (70)
7.04%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (479)
48.14%

Watched Threads