The Student Room Group

Homelessness women

What do you think and what can we do to address the problem of women and homelessness in the blackburn area as except for the salvation army and the project all the hostels and homeless shelters only except men in 21st century i think it's disgraceful and something needs to be done before one of these unfortunate girls ends up attacked and badly injured or dies of cold
How else can you help? You will not invite them to live in your house ...
Well, first off, although women are subject to more sexual harassment etc, it's vital to remember that both men and women are affected by homelessness, and if you are tackling the problem of homelessness, then you should probably try to help both seeing as men are in a bad situation too.

I have seen these videos on youtube about helping people on the streets - although it is only a short-term aid and doesn't focus specifically on women, they do things like give a bunch of bananas and a new tshirt, which can be a small difference to their lives but helps them for another day (bananas specifically because they are slow-release energy, keeping them fuller for longer). Another thing to do would be to try set them up with job interviews? In this case, it is important to have someone who is a) an adult, and b) official, who can project your idea and make it actually happen. It is also important to make sure they are a specific type of homeless, which means they want to get better and improve their life, and won't spend their money on drugs.

Unfortunately, this is is the difficulty. You should help them, but money isn't the way to do it because you never know what they will spend it on. Homelessness is a shame and 'disgusting' and it's good that you are so passionate about it - but there is so much help out there with charities and shelters that will let them in that really, no-one should be homeless. It's often a matter of pride that stops them from going into one. A practical solution, as you see, can be difficult to find! If it was such a simple solution, the government would have dealt with it by now.
there's actually womens refuges - they do need more attention though. they're always full + sometimes there's men outside that 'prey' on vunerable women. i don't think there's much we as the public can do except for donating to food banks + put pressure on the gov. to do more.
Reply 4
Original post by DessySS18
What do you think and what can we do to address the problem of women and homelessness in the blackburn area as except for the salvation army and the project all the hostels and homeless shelters only except men in 21st century i think it's disgraceful and something needs to be done before one of these unfortunate girls ends up attacked and badly injured or dies of cold

are you actually kidding?

homeless men greatly outnumber homeless women. Over 70% are male

Back when I got kicked out of my parents home [temporarily] some years back I was dismayed to find that there was no groups/organisations out there willing to take in single males, but I did find some willing to take in women.

Not to mention homeless women regulary get offers from random men to house them. Yeah i've actually seen it. If you are a homeless female under 40 and at least average looking then you are homeless by choice, because there are plenty of men willing to house you. yeah they'll probably want something in return no doubt, but it's a way off the streets..........., a way males don't have
Original post by ANM775

Back when I got kicked out of my parents home [temporarily] some years back I was dismayed to find that there was no groups/organisations out there willing to take in single males, but I did find some willing to take in women.

Not to mention homeless women regulary get offers from random men to house them. Yeah i've actually seen it. If you are a homeless female under 40 and at least average looking then you are homeless by choice, because there are plenty of men willing to house you. yeah they'll probably want something in return no doubt, but it's a way off the streets..........., a way males don't have

Are you seriously suggesting sexual exploitation as a way to get off the streets?
Reply 6
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
Are you seriously suggesting sexual exploitation as a way to get off the streets?

If I was homeless living on the streets and someone of the opposite gender offered me a place to stay for sexual favours i'd seriously consider it and likely take it.

Living on the streets looks HORRIBLE, especially in this weather.....
Reply 7
Original post by DessySS18

First, there's shelters for women in the area, and not all advertise for privacy reasons as they take in victims of domestic abuse. Second, you have to address the underlying reason why people are homeless. In some cases, they won't seek help. Not everyone wants to be off the streets and not everyone will abide by the rules of no drink or drugs in longer term accommodation, so will be refused help.

What has brought this to your attention and what figures are you talking about for homeless women? What research have you done into what assistance is already on offer and where improvements can be made? 'Something needs to be done' is an admirable sentiment, but the 'something' needs to be tangible.
Homelessness is both an issue for men and women. Tbh with some of these individuals if they really want help and support they can go to the council and they might at least get a room or something. I remember last December a homelessness guy approach me and ask me to call his mum it was his dealer. A lot of these "homeless individuals" are junkies. 2 week ago another homeless person approach me and I gave money I just couldn't say no this time after he explain his situation a couple days ago I saw the same guy and he was high as kite. Some if homeless people really do want help they need to show it (some just want to beg and not better themselves). You have to be willing to help yourself and make the effort in order to others to assist. Now I'm reluctant to help again.
Reply 9
Original post by ANM775

I'm going to get out on a limb here and say you deserve to be homeless.

I hope you still are.
Original post by ANM775
If I was homeless living on the streets and someone of the opposite gender offered me a place to stay for sexual favours i'd seriously consider it and likely take it.

Living on the streets looks HORRIBLE, especially in this weather.....

^How to spot an XY
This is toxic femininity at its finest.

84% of rough sleepers are male and there is an immense number of women-only homeless shelters whereas there is no such thing for men.
But no, the REAL issue is that 16% are women. This is appalling, that number needs to be 0% because women matter more!
I observe most homeless people are male.

But about 5-6 months ago (was early autumn I think), I went to the tesco garage to get some food early morning, before 7am when it opened. On the way there was a rough looking lady, and she approached me asking if I smoke, I said no, then she asked if I would buy her some ****, I said no, and she started walking alongside to the shop, trying to I suppose be friendly with me. When we got to the petrol pumps, I carried on into the shop and she started asking everyone if they would buy, and no one agreed, she went in the shop started begging, and out of pure desperation started undoing her top offering people a look if they would buy her the ****, she got kicked out of the store.

Whilst in there I decided I was going to buy her the ****, but when I went outside after paying my food, she was gone, I wasnt going to ask for anything in return, it was a response to seeing her desperation.

Dont know fur sure if she was homeless, but she looked very rough.

I think the solution is to change things in society that cause homelessness, such as how difficult it is to get council housing, and policies related to housing benefits. So you prevent it from happening in the first place. Sadly we are in an era, where councils and other entities try to avoid responsibility for things like this and we promote everyone looking after themselves mentality.
Reply 13
Original post by creepyguy79
Whilst in there I decided I was going to buy her the ****, but when I went outside after paying my food, she was gone, I wasnt going to ask for anything in return, it was a response to seeing her desperation.

Weak username to post ratio
Check my first post on here, and username makes sense. :wink:
It's very sad.

There are homeless shelters and as another user pointed out they can go to the council.

If I'm correct pubs offer free water from the tap and this is a legal requirement now I think.

There are also food banks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending