The Student Room Group

Dyspraxia Aiding App

I am in my third year of Media Communications, and am currently designing an app / virtual reality or augmented reality experience for one of my modules. I wanted to design an app to help those with dyspraxia, as I have been recently diagnosed with it myself, and there does not appear to be much awareness around dyspraxia (specifically in students) and so does not appear to be many helpful apps for us (feel free to provide me with examples if I am wrong, all helps with the research!). It is still in the early stages of design (and we do not have to actually make them so ideas can be pretty wild), but the general idea would be that it would provide reminders and be like a personal assistant.

I wanted to ask those on here who have dyspraxia to respond to this post with ideas of what they would ideally want from an app of this kind, so that I can incorporate these elements into my final proposal. Any ideas welcome, thank you!
Original post by Amb3rAl13n
I am in my third year of Media Communications, and am currently designing an app / virtual reality or augmented reality experience for one of my modules. I wanted to design an app to help those with dyspraxia, as I have been recently diagnosed with it myself, and there does not appear to be much awareness around dyspraxia (specifically in students) and so does not appear to be many helpful apps for us (feel free to provide me with examples if I am wrong, all helps with the research!). It is still in the early stages of design (and we do not have to actually make them so ideas can be pretty wild), but the general idea would be that it would provide reminders and be like a personal assistant.

I wanted to ask those on here who have dyspraxia to respond to this post with ideas of what they would ideally want from an app of this kind, so that I can incorporate these elements into my final proposal. Any ideas welcome, thank you!

A reminder system would be helpful.
This is an awesome idea!

I'm dyspraxic! You're right, it doesn't get spoken about much.

I've not really delved into which aspects of what I find difficult are down to dyspraxia. All I know is I have very poor coordination in my legs. If i don't wear wide sole shoes my chances of falling over are pretty high. However I have heightened coordination in my upper body. Weird.

There's never the exact same thing in everyone, as you know. I know that it can effect sense of direction and spacial awareness as well. Would be a good idea to create a questionnaire off the back of this thread and circulate it to gauge the spectrum of needs that people dyspraxia require.

You can do this in a google sheet and it records the results. This is a great place to start though :smile:
Help writing and concentrating.
This is such a good idea!! I just wish it was real :tongue: Reminders would definitely be helpful. You could also have an area of the app that helps with organisation, like a planner where you can write lists, deadlines, etc... Kind of like the notes app on your phone but more specific and detailed...?? Also somewhere that gives tips on different ways to cope with dyspraxic issues, like writing, driving etc. You could even include a forum where other people with dyspraxia can share their own personal tips and anecdotes. I'll let you know if I have any more ideas, goodluck with it :smile:
A feature that has voice recorded notes, a mind-mapping/spider-diagram feature to collate ideas, an info page on sleep hygiene cos it's hard to get to sleep cos our minds are buzzing with ideas
Reply 6
Thanks for all your responses so far, these are some fantastic ideas, they will be really useful for my research! Keep 'em coming!
Reply 7
Original post by Amb3rAl13n

Reminders and somes sort of planner geared more to dyspraxia would be great, and lots of different colour options, I colour code basically everything. Different types of reminders might be good too, like something for what you need to remember to put in your bag, appointments, and random notes you need to remember. I imagine a speech to text option would be really helpful for some people too
Reply 8
These responses have been so interesting to read!
Reply 9
Anyone else wanting to make a contribution to this discussion, please speak up ASAP as I will need to wrap this up soon!!

Quick Reply

Latest