The Student Room Group

Oxford PAT 2019

Hi guys! Just finished PAT. How did everyone find it? Personally, I found the maths questions more straightforward than the physics ones.

Scroll to see replies

Found it was so much harder than any past paper I'd done
I dont even know what that pile of crap was
The worst paper I’ve ever done ugh genuinely i thought I’d do ok given I’d done a lot of revision but no......
Reply 4
Much more new information to process as opposed to other papers which focuses more on problem solving. More difficult than 2017 paper.
That paper was absolutely awful, It was harder than even the 2012 paper which was pretty bad. I must have missed out like half the paper
Anybody have any links to any unofficial mark schemes that people have put together? I feel like I’d be lucky to get about 70/100 at this point
To be honest I am quite glad that the general consensus at the moment that it seems to of been hard for many. I know I made many silly errors and I felt as if the questions could have been worded differently. For some questions I spent longer trying to figure out what it was asking me than answering it. As well as this I felt as if there were quite a few sequences questions of which I haven't covered yet in school and so only had very limiting knowledge.
(edited 4 years ago)
Mood after the exam:
Excuse-a-me what de ****
Original post by Callum_Brown_
What a pile of horse **** like on the past papers was cruising w 80-90%, I was so f***ing ready. I mean wtf did the [] even mean?!?! Like towards the end I was just missing question after question, like I’ll b happy to get an interview now and I was hoping to cruise in.

Same here .. just hoping they meant to make it harder because of the [].
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Ligretto Cowboy
Same here .. just hoping they meant to make it harder because of the [].

Like if it makes u feel better I found it impossible and yet just a couple months ago I came top 30 in the country for the senior physics challenge. It was criminally hard.
(edited 4 years ago)
I believe I am in a similar situation. Instead of considering marks on a past paper I always used to look at percentiles as my range here was a lot smaller. The effect of a hard test (while it may have a large effect on your mark) shouldn’t change your percentile too much. In essence it’s just a translation of that cumulative frequency curve you see in all the paper reports to the left a little bit. You’ll probably find you’re still hovering above the 10th percentile.

Realistically speaking, a hard paper favours people in your position, and spreads out the higher percentiles more which should be in your benefit.

Hope this calms you down a little bit after what was certainly a very rough exam 🙂

What a pile of horse **** like on the past papers was cruising w 80-90%, I was so f***ing ready. I mean wtf did the [] even mean?!?! Like towards the end I was just missing question after question, like I’ll b happy to get an interview now and I was hoping to cruise in.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Harry.Ell
Anybody have any links to any unofficial mark schemes that people have put together? I feel like I’d be lucky to get about 70/100 at this point

Get in the bin

F**k*ng hell, I’d be lucky to get that on a good day. P*ss off
Original post by KarolisB
Get in the bin

Big emphasis on the word “lucky”, btw

I’m hoping that much as well now. For every physics question, I only finished half or at least about a quarter left (didn’t do most of that [] tho).
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 17

I’d be lucky to pass😭😭😭😭
Reply 18
Like if it makes u feel better I found it impossible and yet just a couple months ago I came top 30 in the country for the senior physics challenge. It was criminally hard.

I was considering switching to maths until I saw this, at least Im in good company then
Dropped a huge amount of marks on content that I haven’t covered yet in school :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending