Help? Watch

snorty_swirl
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
What is the best way to start a newspaper article? I have been asked to write something for the local paper on conservation and the Heart Of Borneo project, mostly as an awareness raising peice.

Any advice?
RightSaidJames
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The basic idea is to have one sentence that sums up the cut and thrust of the article. I'll type out a few examples for you from Today's Times:

"Britain is doubling its aid to Pakistan to almost £500 million, reflecting concern over rising Islamic militancy in the lawless areas along the border with Afghanistan."

"The pregnant man who conceived a child after a gender-reassignment operation has apparently given birth to a healthy baby girl."

"Girls Aloud singer Cheryl Tweedy has died in hospital after being hit by a car in Oxford Street, London on Thursday."

"Britain's spending watchdog is refusing to approve the Treasury's accounts, compounding a miserable year for Alistair Darling, the Chancellor of the Exchequer."
jakeee
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Start with a racist joke.
Ducki
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by RightSaidJames)

"Girls Aloud singer Cheryl Tweedy has died in hospital after being hit by a car in Oxford Street, London on Thursday."
Almost gave me a heart attack! :mad:
RightSaidJames
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ducki)
Almost gave me a heart attack! :mad:
Haha, sorry, couldn't resist chucking in a fake story.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
38.94%
No - but I will (46)
6.78%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.52%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (317)
46.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise