MA?Msc in Migration- a worthwhile degree?

Watch
isarlc
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am strongly considering applying for a masters in migration- at UCL, SOAS, Goldsmiths and Sussex. It's a subject that I would absolutely love to study, but also thinking practically, I want to study something that is going to lead me to be employable afterwards- and whether it was worth doing. If anyone has studied this subject before, what are your opinions on studying it/how did you find it?
Goldsmiths, University of London
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by isarlc)
I am strongly considering applying for a masters in migration- at UCL, SOAS, Goldsmiths and Sussex. It's a subject that I would absolutely love to study, but also thinking practically, I want to study something that is going to lead me to be employable afterwards- and whether it was worth doing. If anyone has studied this subject before, what are your opinions on studying it/how did you find it?
Hi there 👋

That sounds like a fascinating subject! I completely understand wanting to balance finding a subject you love with employability. As far as careers go, many of our MA Migration & Mobility students go on to have a range of careers such as:

• Social Researcher
  • Civil Servant
  • Fundraising Coordinator
  • Support Engagement and Legacies Manager
  • Ethnographer
  • Council Member
  • Outreach Worker
  • Marketing Officer
  • Academic, Professor or Researcher

There are a tonne of useful resources on campus for students, and I'd definitely recommend taking advantage of the Careers Service to help you find work placements, hone your CV, and prepare for your future career while you're studying.

Also, Goldsmiths has a postgraduate open day coming up on the 20 November! If you're free, I encourage you to come down and have a chat with the department to see if it's a good fit for your career aspirations 😊

I hope this helps, but feel free to message me if you have any questions 🤗

-Miranda
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by isarlc)
What do you plan to use the master's degree for? If you don't have an end goal or career path in mind, then it might be worth researching this before committing to the subject.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (54)
16.98%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (91)
28.62%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (119)
37.42%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (43)
13.52%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.46%

Watched Threads