Should the Church of England appoint women bishops? Watch

Have Your Say
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
The Church of England's General Synod will debate the issue of women bishops on Saturday. Can the Church unite over this and other controversial issues?

The Bishop of Manchester, the Rt Rev Nigel McCulloch, will lead a debate on Saturday on a report outlining the options open to the Church of England in proceeding with women bishops.

Traditionalists want the legal right to opt out of the supervision of a woman bishop, and into the care of a male alternative.

Last week conservative Anglicans agreed to create a global network to combat modern trends like the ordination of gay clergy.

Are you an Anglican? How do you feel about the ordination of women bishops? Is the Communion heading for a split over controversial issues - such as the appointment of women bishops and gay vicars?
K0ntraband
Report 10 years ago
It is the twenty first century, I couldn't give a toss what the church does or thinks.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by K0ntraband)
It is the twenty first century, I couldn't give a toss what the church does or thinks.
Equally I doubt anybody would give a toss what you do or think in any century.

In answer to the question... I'm not really sure myself. Ultimately it will be a sticking point to greater unity both within the Anglican Communion and with other similar churches. Simply out of conservatism, I don't really want it; but I wouldn't go so far as to condemn it as improper.
Lord Hysteria
Badges: 16
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
Equally I doubt anybody would give a toss what you do or think in any century.

In answer to the question... I'm not really sure myself. Ultimately it will be a sticking point to greater unity both within the Anglican Communion and with other similar churches. Simply out of conservatism, I don't really want it; but I wouldn't go so far as to condemn it as improper.
Why so harsh L i b ?
I thought we all respect opinions in this day and age?

How do you feel about the ordination of women bishops?
I don't see why not, surely God doesn't think men are superior and that women can't be holy?
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Lord Hysteria)
Why so harsh L i b ?
I thought we all respect opinions in this day and age
That wasn't an opinion that I was responding to, just a ridiculous outburst of abuse.
SarahhhD
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Courae
its a more liberal institution, and woman should have equil right to become a bishop.
trefusis128
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I agree with L I B, for all the GCSE RE reasons really- all the tosh about all male apostles and what not. But I wouldn't protest or anything like that.

What im trying to say is- It concerns me neither way (im a practising Catholic)
cantthinkofaname
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i think they should, Jesus' closest freinds included women, so why cant they become bishops?
anon53
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Some people would say that it has been the tradition of the Church not to appoint women leaders for centuries, but I personally believe that this attitude is outdated.. We are in the 21st century after all!
SunderX
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think the Church should be able to do whatever it likes.

It's up to people to decide for themselves when organised religion is bunk.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by anon53)
Some people would say that it has been the tradition of the Church not to appoint women leaders for centuries, but I personally believe that this attitude is outdated.. We are in the 21st century after all!
We have not done it for twenty centuries, so somehow the twenty-first is different?

(Original post by SunderX)
I think the Church should be able to do whatever it likes.
Well of course, it is a matter for the Church and its Synod - but ultimately we will have opinions on the matter, particularly those of us who are Anglicans.
username196545
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Have Your Say)
The Church of England's General Synod will debate the issue of women bishops on Saturday. Can the Church unite over this and other controversial issues?

The Bishop of Manchester, the Rt Rev Nigel McCulloch, will lead a debate on Saturday on a report outlining the options open to the Church of England in proceeding with women bishops.

Traditionalists want the legal right to opt out of the supervision of a woman bishop, and into the care of a male alternative.

Last week conservative Anglicans agreed to create a global network to combat modern trends like the ordination of gay clergy.

Are you an Anglican? How do you feel about the ordination of women bishops? Is the Communion heading for a split over controversial issues - such as the appointment of women bishops and gay vicars?
Nononononononononono!!! Seriosuly...no
And on the same subject; NO GAY, MARRIED PRIESTS EITHER!
OllyThePhilosopher
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
A God who disallowed female bishops shouldn't be worthy of worship.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
This is a bit of a useless thread to be honest. It's a theological issue.

However, I would like to see the disestablishment of the Church of England. Surely it's the right thing in our de facto secular, pluralist, democratic society.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by OllyThePhilosopher)
A God who disallowed female bishops shouldn't be worthy of worship.
Ultimately not worshipping God, regardless of his actions, is your loss. I think I'd rather accept a few things which to me seemed incomprehensible in faith than condemn my soul by arrogance.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by 2026)
This is a bit of a useless thread to be honest. It's a theological issue.

However, I would like to see the disestablishment of the Church of England. Surely it's the right thing in our de facto secular, pluralist, democratic society.
We're categorically not a secular society. Pluralist, perhaps; democratic, certainly within limits.

I wouldn't mind very much either way if the C of E (and the C of S) were disestablished, but it opens a constitutional can of worms over the exact status of religion in respect of the state that I realistically think we need not worry about.

Bishops will probably be removed from the Lords eventually, but I doubt much will be done vis-a-vis the Queen's position as Supreme Governor.
Lord Hysteria
Badges: 16
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
Ultimately not worshipping God, regardless of his actions, is your loss. I think I'd rather accept a few things which to me seemed incomprehensible in faith than condemn my soul by arrogance.
You are a clever man L i b - would you buy a house - sign a contract - with a term that seems bizzare?
Would you invest your soul into something as important as that without knowing exactly what it entails? Or would you just nod your head to whatever?
trefusis128
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
All religeons require some kind of sacrifice for the peace of mind they offer. Tbh sexism seems a realatively small issue compared to sacrifce. Or even worse- growing a beard!
The_Bear
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
What a load of old tosh.

Lets analyse the job description of a bishop. Manipulate and prey on peoples insecurities in order to keep themselves in a paid job.

As a man or woman could do that why shouldn't women bishops be allowed?
electriic_ink
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
As men are superior to woman in every way, as proven in the Book of Genesis when God created Adam before Eve, woman should not be given such an important job. It has been proven time and time again that woman are incapable of handling positions of power - look at Maggie Thatcher, the Queen, they did / are doing terrible jobs. Conversely, men like George Bush and Robert Mugabe are fine leaders.

Perhaps most importantly, if women are out bishoping, who's gonna stay at home and look after the kids? The husbands?! :rofl: God forbid...

:rolleyes:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (356)
37.63%
No - but I will (74)
7.82%
No - I don't want to (66)
6.98%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (450)
47.57%

Watched Threads