English Oral Commentaries Watch

La Môme
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I'm gearing up for my English IOC, which will be on a select passage from Austen's Pride and Prejudice. I'm planning on writing commentaries/plans for each important passage that my teacher has indicated may be included...but what else does one have to know? Manner of speaking, any advice like that? Should I record myself before the exam, etc?

And good luck to the May 08 kids.
kate 25
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've just done mine and I have a few tips:

Firstly, what you are doing it already good - keep practicing!! But I would suggest not writing the commentaries but getting a microphone and a recording system on your computer and actually saying the commentaries. Writing them is 10x easier than saying them!!

Second - Write, and memorise a decent introduction to your text. The introduction of the text should be the same no matter what extract you get. It should include things like: title, author, plot, themes, and then important events leading up to the passage, and important events after it.

Thirdly - practice planning for the commentary. Really you should know the book well enough so that whatever extract you get you shouldn't waste time annotating it. I would say 5-10mins annotation, and 10-15 mins planning and structuring how you are going to say it. THIS IS IMPORTANT - it is soooo much easier to speak when you have a decent structure!!

Just out of curiosity - do you only have one book that your commentary is on?? I thought that you had to have more, the standard level people at my school had two books, and the higher levels had more, plus poetry!

good luck with the study!
La Môme
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Ah, no. We covered several books for the purpose of the oral examination, and had to choose a particular work. So there's a really wide field of passages I could get, but it's just been narrowed down in terms of the work. So I'll turn up on the day having to know my book basically back to front!

And thank you for the suggestions and the luck. It's on Wednesday, so I'm freaking out pretty well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (368)
37.25%
No - but I will (74)
7.49%
No - I don't want to (69)
6.98%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (477)
48.28%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise