Is my nutritionist too harsh on my diet?? Watch

Mata
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I'm a bit paranoid about my diet. I have a nutritionist who is always niggling at me to change things about it - add more of certain things, basically. I was just wondering if my diet is only bad by HER standards, or by general standards. So, here's some days taken randomly:

Day One:

Breakfast: bowl of strawberries with 4 tbsps soya yoghurt. Coffee with skimmed milk.

Mid-morning: 1 nectarine; 1 banana

Lunch: sushi wrap with ****ake mushrooms, spinach and egg. 2 apples.

Mid-afternoon: 8 brazil nuts. 1 tangerine. Coffee with skimmed milk.

Dinner: medium sushi pack (included salmon). Bowl of raspberries with two spoons of mascarpone.

Late night: medium salted popcorn.

Day Two:

Breakfast: bowl of meusli with semi-skimmed milk

Lunch: new potato, onion and tomato frittata. coffee with skimmed milk. orange juice.

Mid-afternoon: bowl of mixed berries; 1 pear

Dinner: noodles with chicken and veg, in coconut soup. 1 apple.

Late Evening: glass of pimms; 1 handful cashew nuts

Day Three:

Breakfast: 2 slices wholemeal toast with marmalade. 1 serving mushrooms. coffee with semi-skimmed milk.

Mid-morning: 1 orange

Lunch: medium salad from salad bar - mixed beans; chickpeas; veggies; bit of rice etc. fruit salad.

Mid-afternoon: 25g beef jerky. muller light yoghurt.

Dinner: baked sweet potato with 2 tbsps quark cheese and red pesto. bowl of carrot/coriander soup. bowl of strawberries.

Late evening: 1 banana

I always think I eat healthily, then she trashes it. Sigh. Is this comparable to other people's normal diets?
generalebriety
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The fact that you have a nutritionist tells me you're trying to lose weight or something. Now, I eat a lot more than you, but I don't have a nutritionist and generally don't give a **** and stuff. You clearly do, so maybe you should listen to the professionals.

It might help us give you a fairer response if you tell us what your nutritionist wants you to eat.
Mata
Rep:
?
(Original post by generalebriety)
The fact that you have a nutritionist tells me you're trying to lose weight or something. Now, I eat a lot more than you, but I don't have a nutritionist and generally don't give a **** and stuff. You clearly do, so maybe you should listen to the professionals.

It might help us give you a fairer response if you tell us what your nutritionist wants you to eat.
Actually, I neither want to lose or gain weight - I want to maintain my current BMI, which hovers at 20. What I am eating at the moment does maintain my current BMI and I feel like I am eating a good diet.

I do give a **** about what I eat - I want to maintain a healthy BMI and a healthy body. I don't want to over-eat or under-eat.

My nutritionist doesn't have a problem with the amount of calories I am eating. Her main gripe is that I don't eat enough of the cereal/carb/potato group i.e. 4 or 5 portions per day. I have tried to include this, but a 'portion' is a very specific amount and I find myself uncomfortably full, feeling bloated, and not enjoying my food.

I am also convinced that my diet is actually acceptable to the human race, and that as a nutritionist she is, of course, hard to please. But I can get defensive about my food and would like some second opinions from peers, confirming that my diet is, in fact, ok, and that I'm not mad.
simeon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'd be more likely to listen to nutritionist saying you need more of something than one saying you need less.
Bebbs
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
you are pretty low on starchy carbs. What sort of calorie range is that? 2000-2500 quickly in my head i came out with. Seems fair on the cals, depending on your height/weight/lean body mass.

Apart from that the problems i can see are:
No protein in some meals
Breakfast is your smalled meal, should be the other way around( energy for the rest of the day)
Popcorns a bit of a waste, try eating cottage cheese in the evenings in stead
Skimmed milk? seriously get at least semi down you
you only seem to be having 1/2 servings of fats in a day, and they're not very much, fat is important to your diet, your sources are good (nuts, jerky and eggs) but you should eat more. Try supplementing some omega 3

Positives:
good food for the most part
Cheat foods aren't bad
Eating 5x day, even if some are very small

what is your weight/height/lbm and activity level?

what out of interest does your nutritionist what you to eat?
Robob
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Why do you have a nutrionist
Mata
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bebbs)
you are pretty low on starchy carbs. What sort of calorie range is that? 2000-2500 quickly in my head i came out with. Seems fair on the cals, depending on your height/weight/lean body mass.

what is your weight/height/lbm and activity level?
Calories should be 1800 - 2200, depending on the day. I'm female, 5'10" and weigh 10 stone.

I do also eat quite a bit of fish - haddock, cod, salmon etc. I am happy to have semi-skimmed milk in coffee but can't hack it in cereal. I probably need more protein generally, though. No way am I eating cottage cheese at the cinema. :p:

Activity level is literally just making sure I walk/cycle everywhere, take the stairs, etc.

Robob: interesting face. What is so bizarre about having a nutritionist? Most people could do with at least one session with one, I think. The answer to your question is that I'm in recovery from a severe eating disorder, but she is pushing me to eat more and more when I am already eating enough calories and a healthier diet than 90% of the population, or at least that's what it feels like.

All I need is some validation that my diet is within a vaguely normal acceptable range and that I am not on some crazy starvation mission. My nutritionist will never be happy with my diet; I am just aiming to eat like a normal human being.
faber niger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Robob)
Why do you have a nutrionist
Exactly.

More money than things to do with it? Or do you have health problems?
The_Bear
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jismith1989)
Exactly.

Might want to get a doctor to look at that chip on your shoulder.
faber niger
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by The_Bear)
Might want to get a doctor to look at that chip on your shoulder.
I know. Do you know the amount of calories in chips? :eek:
lemily
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think your diet looks very good for someone recovering from an eating disorder and it is better than what most people eat too. My concern is protein - yes there is fish in sushi but the bulk of most packs you buy is the rice (which is good as far as your nutritionist is concerned) but looking through your diary, looks a little low on protein. You could add a can of tuna when you had the salad or perhaps some smoked salmon if you can afford. You could also try adding some quorn to soup or something. Just try and eat more protein things as snacks too.

I think your carbs look ok. Maybe go out of your way to eat one potato or wheat thing a day, but other than that, you get carbs from the fruit you eat. Maybe add in some more vegetable varieties for snacks as well as fruit to get more fibre.

You're right - she will never be happy with your diet and its good you know that. Try and make a deal that you will try for 3 proper portions and then build up or something. But if you are maintaining your weight, at a healthy BMI of 20, then don't let her criticism get to you as you are doing really well.
Bebbs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Mata)
Calories should be 1800 - 2200, depending on the day. I'm female, 5'10" and weigh 10 stone.

I do also eat quite a bit of fish - haddock, cod, salmon etc. I am happy to have semi-skimmed milk in coffee but can't hack it in cereal. I probably need more protein generally, though. No way am I eating cottage cheese at the cinema. :p:

Activity level is literally just making sure I walk/cycle everywhere, take the stairs, etc.

seems fair enough for your heigt/weight/activity level.

you're still low on fats though day 1 is the brazil nuts + sushi. about normal intake
day2: just cashew nuts
day 3 : chickpeas, jerkey and quark

try to swap in oily fish to solve protein and fats deficit
Lady Venom
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'd ditch rice for something better - wholemeal pasta, cuscous. I don't get nearly as bloated on these compared to rice.

More protein for sure and good fats - I aim to have a large handful of nuts in my porridge each morning.

Agree breakfast should be your big meal.
Mata
Rep:
?
(Original post by jismith1989)
Exactly.

I'm sorry, but it makes me really irritated that your first reaction is to make snarky comments when someone is asking for a helpful opinion. If you had read the thread properly, you would have discovered why I have a nutritionist. I am in recovery from a severe eating disorder. You might be horrified to know I also have a therapist and a nurse.

Some people do just have a nutritionist because they find it hard to manage their eating however, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with spending your money on something that is beneficial to your health. People buy gym memberships, why not have someone aiding them in their eating habits?

Bebbs: Thank you for the help - I like the idea of getting protein and fats in the fish. I might try some smoked mackeral.

Lemily:Thank you as well - you're right about the sushi - less fish than you'd imagine. And I can definitely manage veggies as snacks.

Lady Venom: I'm addicted to sushi I'm afraid! But I am trying to eat more wholewheat noodles, and quinoa too. Thanks for the advice.

Cool. So, everyone who gave advice, its much appreciated. Its shown me that my diet is generally ok but there are some deficits that I am able to work on realistically. I'm happy to leave it there.
kjc_us
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think your diet is absolutely fine. Jesus, I couldn't stomach all of that though - and she's trying to make you eat more?! Take it from me, the professionals don't always know what they're talking about...
faber niger
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Mata)
I'm sorry, but it makes me really irritated that your first reaction is to make snarky comments when someone is asking for a helpful opinion. If you had read the thread properly, you would have discovered why I have a nutritionist. I am in recovery from a severe eating disorder. You might be horrified to know I also have a therapist and a nurse.

Some people do just have a nutritionist because they find it hard to manage their eating however, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with spending your money on something that is beneficial to your health. People buy gym memberships, why not have someone aiding them in their eating habits?
I'm sorry to hear that. But I must say that when I posted you had not mentioned your eating disorder; you posted just before I did about that, but I didn't see it as I was typing up my reply.

The only reason I replied so flippantly is that if there was nothing wrong with your health and you're not overweight, it would seem awfully silly to pay someone to be so Spartan with your food. Food should be enjoyable, as well as salubrious -- eating in such measured quantities and qualities must be rather mundane and tiresome. I thought you may have had a nutritionist simply to 'stay in shape', in which case it would be completely unnecessary. However, now that you have explained your situation, a nutritionist does seem, perhaps, necessary.
ch0c0h01ic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Mata)
My nutritionist doesn't have a problem with the amount of calories I am eating. Her main gripe is that I don't eat enough of the cereal/carb/potato group i.e. 4 or 5 portions per day. I have tried to include this, but a 'portion' is a very specific amount and I find myself uncomfortably full, feeling bloated, and not enjoying my food.

I am also convinced that my diet is actually acceptable to the human race, and that as a nutritionist she is, of course, hard to please. But I can get defensive about my food and would like some second opinions from peers, confirming that my diet is, in fact, ok, and that I'm not mad.
For a start, yes your diet is pretty healthy, but i will echo what others have said, it is deficient in protein and healthy fats. Aim to get a large portion of protein into your three main meals, so, chicken breast, eggs, basically most meats, fish, etc.

The problem with nutritionalists is that they're fairly strictly taught a rigid framework, plenty of carbs, little or no saturated fat, etc, effectively they know no different unless they go off and do their own research. It is far simpler and harder to make mistakes to advise X amount of carbs per day, rather than going into the detail of how you can happily live off a low carb diet and having a health check by your doctor before you start, but adding in other requirements like plenty of water, etc. Ditto on the sat fats side, it is harder to describe to someone how they should get plenty of exercise, have a balanced diet, etc, rather than saying that sat fats are bad and should be avoided.

Get yourself checked out by your doc, if he gives you the all clear for a 'ketogenic diet' then go for it, the main problem would be if your are diabetic. It is also worth mentioning that ketogenic diets have been shown to have therapeutic applications for epilepsy, autism, migraines, etc and pose little or no health risk or negative implications if done safely and properly.
tinkerbellejess
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think your breakfast on day one is too little. Other than that it seems to be alright but obviously I don't know your portion sizes or anything. Maybe it's the lack of variety that she doesn't like?

And I agree, sushi is gorgeous and addictive
burningnun
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
The problem with nutritionalists is that they're fairly strictly taught a rigid framework, plenty of carbs, little or no saturated fat, etc, effectively they know no different unless they go off and do their own research.
Yep, I've done a course (albeit a basic one) in human nutrition and there's no way in Hell I would listen to someone if that were his/her only credential. This is even more worrying that doctors who give out exercise advice, because the word "nutritionist" makes it sound like they should know quite a lot about nutrition, whereas it should be common knowledge that doctors don't know about exercise because they don't learn about it. Of course, this isn't actually common knowledge and foks still take ridiculous advice from people who think squatting below parallel is bad for your knees and saturated fat magically transports itself from your gut to the walls of your coronary artery. The remarkable thing is, some of the most academically talented people in the country spent 6 years learning this stuff.
_Mazza_
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Your diet is full of healthy foods but not enough of them, you also need more complex carbs (fruit and a bit of yoghurt isn't the best start to the day, try fruit, weetabix and yoghurt). There is very little protein in Day 2 until dinner and in Day 3 there is even less protein.

You're getting all your vitamins, but you're not getting sufficient amounts of food from each food group.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.83%
No - but I will (88)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (560)
47.82%

Watched Threads