?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
What grades are needed for Emory/Georgia tech ? I have A B C
mathplustutornj
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I don't have specific knowledge of this, but ABC is not the level schools like that would look for. They probably want something like AAA, but there are other things they are looking for and US schools don't tell you what scores you need. Are you moving to Atlanta?
bennyj901
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Im sorry but I think for most schools in the USA an AAB is probably the minimum
mathplustutornj
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Depends on the school. Those mentioned are both competitive and have about a 20% acceptance rate (those rates are lower in the US as you can apply to however many schools). There are plenty of schools that will take almost anyone and ABC should be fine for those.
bennyj901
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by mathplustutornj)
Depends on the school. Those mentioned are both competitive and have about a 20% acceptance rate (those rates are lower in the US as you can apply to however many schools). There are plenty of schools that will take almost anyone and ABC should be fine for those.
Sorry I should clarify. This is true as there are many schools that will take practically anyone they can get (far more of these than selective ones). However you probably will not want to go to them as you likely have never heard of them. Practically every US school you have heard of (The Ivys, MIT, GIT, CIT, Tufts etc etc) are all selective and will receive plenty of applications with better grades than ABC. I expect even AAB would be a push for many of the VERY selective ones.
mathplustutornj
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
AAA is about right for Georgia Tech or Emory. For top Ivies or MIT, probably you need at least two A*, preferably like A*A*A*A*, and that is just the beginning.
bennyj901
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by mathplustutornj)
AAA is about right for Georgia Tech or Emory. For top Ivies or MIT, probably you need at least two A*, preferably like A*A*A*A*, and that is just the beginning.
Agreed, below AAB is pointless and AAA should be the standard, but I think 4 A*s is a bit much for the Ivies. Oxbridge and the Ivies are around the same level, so I would expect they would want between A*A*A - A*AA. With Oxbridge this range will be in regards to subject choices, whereas I expect in the USA this range will be in respect to the strength of the rest of your application (weaker GCSE results will likely need to be compensated by an extra A* at A level).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (126)
20.19%
Labour (311)
49.84%
Liberal Democrats (85)
13.62%
Green Party (30)
4.81%
Brexit Party (7)
1.12%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.48%
SNP (14)
2.24%
Plaid Cymru (3)
0.48%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
0.96%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (3)