The Student Room Group

Awkward religion thing

At work tonight, i was speaking with a colleague and somehow Celtic/Rangers came up. She blurted out "i can't ****ing stand catholics, they're a load of irish gypsies. proper idiot scum". i laughed along out of politeness lol but i'm in fact irish and catholic!
i'm not a strong catholic or anything, but i think no matter what religion or nationality i was, that was a pretty shocking generalisation. i didn't want to get defensive so just let it pass and didnt mention any of this to her.
i don't really mind if that's her view on catholics, but for anybody to voice her views in such a way if pretty rude, or am i being a tad stupid? she's actually a nurse which is what made me a bit more shocked.
Reply 1
Yes, she was rude, but you'll never change some people/group's opinions. Put yourself above her, hold your head high and carry on.

Haven't you got some sort of noticeable Irish accent, or are you a plastic paddy? :s-smilie:
Some people are bigots. No, you're not being stupid.
Reply 3
No you aren't being stupid. You could make some sort of derogative sweeping generalisation about her religion or nationality and I bet she wouldn't roll over and take it. You can't exactly bring it up again without looking liek you want a fight, but if it ever does by chance come up again don't let it pass. She'll probably be so embarassed when she's confronted that she'd think twce about makign such a judgement in future.
Reply 4
Ducki
are you a plastic paddy? :s-smilie:

yesss, yes i am a plastic paddy.
Reply 5
Frannnnn
yesss, yes i am a plastic paddy.

*wonders if that was sarcastic...*
Reply 6
people scream ignorance sometimes..
its like hearing generalizations about the muslim faith and the culture associated with it.... Im not muslim and know nothing about the faith to make any assumption about it.... but when people say hadji this or rag head that, it makes my mind hurt :/....
Reply 7
She's completely out of line there, whether you are an irish catholic or not. There are valid criticisms of the Catholic religion, God knows (:wink:) but those are not some of them.
Its stupid and ignorant to make generalisations based on nationality, religion, or otherwise.
Reply 9
Frannnnn
At work tonight, i was speaking with a colleague and somehow Celtic/Rangers came up. She blurted out "i can't ****ing stand catholics, they're a load of irish gypsies. proper idiot scum". i laughed along out of politeness lol but i'm in fact irish and catholic!
i'm not a strong catholic or anything, but i think no matter what religion or nationality i was, that was a pretty shocking generalisation. i didn't want to get defensive so just let it pass and didnt mention any of this to her.
i don't really mind if that's her view on catholics, but for anybody to voice her views in such a way if pretty rude, or am i being a tad stupid? she's actually a nurse which is what made me a bit more shocked.

Her comment is not only bigoted, it's also incredibly dumb. Surely in modern British society the majority Catholics have no/little connection to Ireland. There are (imo) many valid reasons to criticise the Catholic Church, but making bigoted comments against the Irish is not one of them.
She was rude and ignorant, just ignore her. And no, you are not being stupid.

Latest

Trending

Trending