The Student Room Group

NSAA Calculator Model

Is the Casio fx991ex Classwiz allowed in the NSAA section 2? This was the calculator I brought today but I was told to use my GCSE calculator instead, so for future reference, is the Classwiz not allowed in these exams?
Original post by PPGG
Is the Casio fx991ex Classwiz allowed in the NSAA section 2? This was the calculator I brought today but I was told to use my GCSE calculator instead, so for future reference, is the Classwiz not allowed in these exams?

As far as I’m aware as long as it’s not graphical it’s ok...
Reply 2
That's what I had thought too... I'm really disappointed as I feel like I wasted time trying to use an unfamiliar calculator :frown:
Though to be honest Section 2 was harder imo this year anyway.
Original post by PPGG
That's what I had thought too... I'm really disappointed as I feel like I wasted time trying to use an unfamiliar calculator :frown:
Though to be honest Section 2 was harder imo this year anyway.

What questions in section 2 did you attempt??
Reply 4
C1 and C2
Reply 5
how did you find c1 and c2 ???
Original post by PPGG

Calculators must be:
- of a size suitable for use on the desk
- either battery or solar powered
- free of lids, cases and covers which have printed instructions or formulas.
Calculators must not:
be designed or adapted to offer any of these facilities: - language translators
- symbolic algebra manipulation
- symbolic differentiation or integration
- communication with other machines or the internet
be borrowed from another candidate during an examination for any reason*
have retrievable information stored in them this includes: - databanks
- dictionaries
- mathematical formulas - text.
The candidate is responsible for the following:
- the calculator’s power supply
- the calculator’s working condition
- clearing anything stored in the calculator.

That’s on the NSAA specification, the Classwiz seems to make these requirements
Reply 7
Thanks for the information.
I'll be so disappointed if that was the case. There was a particular function on the classwiz that I needed during a question but I ended up spending a lot of time doing the calculation manually. I may have been going about the question completely the wrong way but it's still annoying that I wasted time like that :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by jf52444
how did you find c1 and c2 ???

Terrible to be honest haha. I'm pretty sure my invigilators were using the calculator specification for the Oxford PAT exam too... C1 I made some careless mistakes in, and I ended up just moving on to C2 because I could tell it was taking me far too long to use the calculator and C1 was quite heavily maths based. C2 was better - I know I've made one careless mistake in my hurry, but I'm fairly confident with my methodology for the rest of the question. I was very behind my time and quite flustered at that point though so I probably made a few more mistakes in C2 too. How was it for you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending