I just can't seem to start my UCAS personal statement.

Watch this thread
nimrkhh
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I was asked to write my personal statement a month ago and I just can not seem to do it, even know I'm staring at a word document that has 5 words on it. I'm not usually the type to not do my work on time but this personal statement just seems so daunting and I don't know what to write, or what to say or what to think. I really need to overcome this for the sake of my future but I just don't know how.
username1292215
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by nimrkhh)
I was asked to write my personal statement a month ago and I just can not seem to do it, even know I'm staring at a word document that has 5 words on it. I'm not usually the type to not do my work on time but this personal statement just seems so daunting and I don't know what to write, or what to say or what to think. I really need to overcome this for the sake of my future but I just don't know how.
Which course are you applying for?

I always found intro to be the hardest so I mainly worked on the later parts of my PS when I did it 2 years ago
username4867806
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
If you are struggling, I would recommend leaving the introduction until later on. There is a lot of info online about writing the PS, just have a look. I believe TSR also has a personal statement builder to help you.
PQ
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Ask someone you trust to interview/chat to you about your choice of course and what interests you about it.
Record your conversation.
Transcribe your words.
First draft done!
zodisagoddess21
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
So I'm applying this year also, just finished my personak statement and what i did was i asked loads of questions, i read so many drafts, i watched so many youtube videos and they didn't work. so i talked to my cousin and she told me to record myself saying everything i wanted to say in the personal statement and then play it back to myself and then it helped me, then for your intro talk about something interesting about you that you think no one else has, like i talked about growing up in another country anf related it to economics. Just calm down and don't stress, break your personal statement into parts and work on those parts seperately. if the intro isn't coming to you work on the body if the body isn't flowing, work on the conclusion. it'll shock you how quick you'd finish your statement then whne you're done shiw the statement to teachers that understand the course you're applying for. it's shocking how ready these teachers are to make your statement the best, becasue when more people get inti unis it makes the school look better
Gwil
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
- Make a list of all the things that interest you in your course.
- Make a list of the things that have interested you most in your A-Levels or equivalent.
- Make a list of the skills, experience and extra-curriculars that make you suited to the course.

If you write all of this up, you will have the first draft. Then you can start shaping it into well-started paragraphs, and thinking about what would make the best opening sentence.

Good luck!
bilalmahrez25
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
For the starter go straight to the point. Just say what fascinate you about the subject and why is it important for you. I also would advice you to go to "Which University" website they have a lot of good tips which will help you a lot in your PS.
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
There's a whole load of guidance here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wik...statement_help
tw02cow
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I started my personal statement by comparing applying for uni to the time I got drunk on ouzo in Greece and went bungee jumping.Admissions tutors actually commented on how it was nice to see humour for a change.PS don't use that or you'll get stung for plagiarism!
Mihriban
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Start even if you know it makes nooooo sense. I had many drafts before I had a half-decent ps. You need to start writing something, anything, so that you have something to edit and work with.
username4867806
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by tw02cow)
I started my personal statement by comparing applying for uni to the time I got drunk on ouzo in Greece and went bungee jumping.Admissions tutors actually commented on how it was nice to see humour for a change.PS don't use that or you'll get stung for plagiarism!
Humour on PS is risky. It is very hit and miss depending on the person reading it. Humour is subjective so not everyone will understand all jokes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (12)
32.43%
They're exactly what I expected (13)
35.14%