On the first day... Watch

wanderlust.xx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
When you're unpacking etc, and you go knocking on people's rooms, if you're a guy... do you shake other people's hands?

What if it's a girl in the room? Do you shake their hand too?

Also, what if I were to invite a few people round to watch TV/have a few beers? Would that be awkward? Should I do it in the evening when everyone's sort of acquainted? What about clubs and stuff, do people go clubbing in Fresher's week quite a lot?

Damn my parents for giving me such an awkward upbringing. >_> There's going to be plenty more questions where that came from btw.
Double Agent
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I left my room door open so people would say hi, and yeh shake peoples hand. People would love it if you asked them round for a few beers, maybe a dvd. Really go for it and make an effort to be everyones friend, it pays off so much as everyones feeling lonely and nervous, so you can get a lot of friends early on. Depending on which uni you're going to, there may be organised nights out in town, if there is then go, and invite everyone you've met along. Otherwise sort your own night out and invite them all to come. It really is the easiest time to meet people, so really put yourself out there.
LaurenFah
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My friend had a door wedged open with a crate of beers to work as a double job. When people walked past he'd speak to them and offer them some door wedge.
SimonSingh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My room-mate just launched himself into my room after he'd unpacked and shouted "YO BRUV GOT A CD I CAN BORROW" :rofl:

That was 2 years ago, and we are still pretty tight now.
Y'anami!
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by SimonSingh)
My room-mate just launched himself into my room after he'd unpacked and shouted "YO BRUV GOT A CD I CAN BORROW" :rofl:
Hahaha I hope I get flatmates like that! :P

Unluckily (or luckily, I dunno yet) I'll be done unpacking cuz I'll be there early for International Students orientation.. I don't wanna be awkwardly walking around introducing myself.. and knowing my luck, none of my flatmates will arrive the first day of arrivals. I'm so scared LOL.
traxhill
Report 10 years ago
to shake a hand, means a lot for many of us (but you know, there is a lot to talk about this action only -> you can shake it honestly or only because you are forced by the other person). I like when i meet someone to shake his/hers hand and watch a little bit theirs eyes.
About the first day...i will arrive on the first day of accommodation (28 September) and i don't know how many students will be there, but i will scan the area I always do that...i can't stand in one place, i must know the surroundings and the people out there.
Of course, perhaps i will be tired after a flight and a train trip from London to University...
thats funny
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
On not reading the content of the OP and just going of the title -

...of christmas my true love gave to me. A partridge in a pear tree

On the second day of christmas my true love gave to me two turtle doves and a partridge in a pear tree

On the third day of christmas my true loves gave to me three french, two turtle doves and a partridge in a pear tree

On the four day of christmas my true love gave to me four colly birds, three french hens, two turtle doves and a partridge in a pear tree.

On the fifth day of christmas some bloke called Tf tells you - on first day do normal stuff. Say hello, unpack stuff and go out for a few drinks with your new housemates. Doesn't matter who they are, chat learn some common ground (Music is an excellent common interest pointer) and get to know them, if you fancy shaking hands fair enough, but it's not prescribed. Although it can be quite cool, that's why I do it -

Five gold rings. Four colly birds, three french hens, two turtle doves and a partridge in a pear treeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.. .."
wanderlust.xx
Rep:
?
So... what about girls? =P Shake hands with girls? Full on hug? Ask for an orgie? I'm so confuzzled.

The beer crate thing sounds cool, I'll probably do that with a sign saying "One person per beer" or something.
becky.fm
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think it's odd when someone shakes my hand, who's the same age as me, and im a girl. I would say don't shake girl's hands. :p:
Spotty Dog
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Go roun with a packet of biscuits. Offer them. :P Everyone loves choccy digestives.
Krazof
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Why shake hands? :confused: It seems really formal to me.
Annaconda
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
several guys who i have met recently have shaken my hand. i thought it was a bit weird buts a nice gesture
elisabethbridge
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I usually shake people's hands when I first meet them, male or female whatever age. I just feel like it breaks the ice a bit, and in general it's seen as a nice gesture. Also, it kind of feels more comfortable, than just saying: 'Hey! I'm so and so.' because I've no idea what to do with my hands.
WhatTheFunk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
lol my first day unpacked and said hi and that, we all said who we are what we are studying then we all had pizza and that, and was like lets get some music going and started drinking, mind you there was 14 off us in the flat, and we all remain good mates through the year, it was was good
Goldenratio
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I was going to write a load of bumpf about cultures, but if you shake hands normally, don't change for uni: guys and girls alike. Prop your door open and put some music on. Biscuits and tea are fab in the uk
EA-man
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i've been in an all-boys school up to 6th form the last 5 years and i shake hands with every friend i cross paths with basically, every day. its quite a normal thing for us
wanderlust.xx
Rep:
?
So, what about girls?

Sort of, walk in, ask their name, ask 'em how they are and invite 'em over for a beer?

I'm thinking of asking someone to go along and knocking on every flat on my floor too, that'd be pretty cool.
Goldenratio
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by wanderlust.xx)
So, what about girls?

Sort of, walk in, ask their name, ask 'em how they are and invite 'em over for a beer?

I'm thinking of asking someone to go along and knocking on every flat on my floor too, that'd be pretty cool.
Yes just knock say hi... don't spend too long and offer tea and biscuits or something. A Flat party later on in the day might be nice to get to meet people all together. Don't stress over it
beach surf babe
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just say hi, exchange names, where your from etc etc Keep your door open like people have said (very useful whilst your moving in anyway). The uni will most likely have some kinda freshers night thing in the su so you'll probably end up there. Talk to people wherever..random conversations are always good. Just network like your life depends on it! Its great fun
traxhill
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Krazof)
Why shake hands? :confused: It seems really formal to me.
Depends...i wrote before: you can be friendly or formal!
I consider it a very important action when you meet someone new (boy or girl).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (551)
37.82%
No - but I will (114)
7.82%
No - I don't want to (102)
7%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (690)
47.36%

Watched Threads