xhaylssx
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi,
im looking for more detail into what a mental health nursing degree involves. Is it more to do with nursing and personal care or is it the mental health side that you study and learn more about?
Thank you
Chlomitch
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hey!
I have a couple friends studying mental health nursing (and I’ve also applied for mental health nursing myself!), and from what I’ve heard, the first year you learn general nursing care etc, along with the nurses from other branches as you all learn the same fundamental nursing skills. Second year onwards the course is much more to do with the mental health side of things. There are some things mental health nurses won’t learn that adult nurses might, such as taking bloods. But you learn more specific stuff to your branch instead such as assessing risk etc hope that helps!
xhaylssx
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
thank you for your reply , how comes you chose mental health nursing? what would you like to do in the future? im stuck between this and psychology, but everyone has been saying it is a pointless degree
Chlomitch
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I’ve personally had my own experiences with mental health problems myself, so I’ve been on the receiving end of mental health services. I guess it inspired me to want to help others who are in the position I was in to better their lives. It’s such a rewarding job (although exhausting), and it’s a job for life! There’s always so many vacancies for nurses in general so you’ll never be without job opportunities

I would love to work in adolescent eating disorder inpatient! But I’m open to other areas as I’m sure I’ll find other areas I really enjoy on placement.

What is it about psychology that you enjoy? And what kind of area/job are you looking for in the future? I assume something to do with mental health?

Psychology is very interesting but I know you have to do further training to be a psychologist, plus the competition is higher for psychology degrees as opposed to mental health nursing. I think mental health nursing is one of the least competitive areas of nursing to go into (adult and child nursing are very popular). But I believe you’re less limited with a psychology degree as to what you can do with it! With a mental health nursing degree you can only really become a mental health nurse.
AWA00047
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My mum made me go to school and I hided in the school toilet for half the section. I didn't go to that class because I didn't know how to do the assessment. I hate this. I wish I never struggled with anything. I wish I was smart and better. I think I am depressed
MoonlightRain
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You provide personal care to patients, administer their meds, record patients mental and physical wellbeing. Just like any old nurse but your patients will have mental health issues.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (214)
52.58%
No, they should still go ahead (57)
14%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (136)
33.42%

Watched Threads