Social Media to promote political messages? Watch

jay111a
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
After the data anylitica scandal and the interference in US elections by Russia and gods knows what else, wouldn't it be a good idea for British politicians to boycott social media as a means of campaigning?

I can see the problem in this however as unfortunately this could be the only means of reaching out to many younger voters. So is it better to be safe than sorry? Is it better to find a technological means of filtering out all the fake stuff?

It is absolutely mental, I could start posting any nonsense on social media and on the principle that you "throw enough **** some will stick" some people could start to believe it!

I got rid of Facebook years ago and this is about the extent of my social media use unless youtube counts tho I mainly watch star wars videos so I'm not affected too badly. Some people live their whole lives online so it seems logical that they will be influenced by fake content especially if they dont have the critical thinking skills to question the validity of what they are reading.

Any insights into this? I'd be interested to hear the views of younger people who use technology aswell as older people who dont so much, especially if the views oppose eachother 🤔😊
Chronoscope
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by jay111a)
After the data anylitica scandal and the interference in US elections by Russia and gods knows what else, wouldn't it be a good idea for British politicians to boycott social media as a means of campaigning?

I can see the problem in this however as unfortunately this could be the only means of reaching out to many younger voters. So is it better to be safe than sorry? Is it better to find a technological means of filtering out all the fake stuff?

It is absolutely mental, I could start posting any nonsense on social media and on the principle that you "throw enough **** some will stick" some people could start to believe it!

I got rid of Facebook years ago and this is about the extent of my social media use unless youtube counts tho I mainly watch star wars videos so I'm not affected too badly. Some people live their whole lives online so it seems logical that they will be influenced by fake content especially if they dont have the critical thinking skills to question the validity of what they are reading.

Any insights into this? I'd be interested to hear the views of younger people who use technology aswell as older people who dont so much, especially if the views oppose eachother 🤔😊
I follow my local party pages on social media, and try to read different news so try to get different sides to the story. But don't visit FB every day so also not too affected - although I know in college we were taught a bit about fake news as and what is a valid source of information etc. Saw a couple of documentaries when fake news was starting to hit the headlines a few years ago.

Interestingly, I was watching bbc news last night and online campaigns were brought up (like online capaigns being constant and such and campaign videos could come up on your facebook feed if one of your friends likes or shares something).
(https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.b...anada-50243306)

Politicians boycotting social media though - I don't think that would be popular / doubt it would be manageable/easy to enforce (like do they get their social media account back when they stop being a politician?).
Last edited by Chronoscope; 2 weeks ago
jay111a
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Chronoscope)
I follow my local party pages on social media, and try to read different news so try to get different sides to the story. But don't visit FB every day so also not too affected - although I know in college we were taught a bit about fake news as and what is a valid source of information etc. Saw a couple of documentaries when fake news was starting to hit the headlines a few years ago.

Interestingly, I was watching bbc news last night and online campaigns were brought up (like online capaigns being constant and such and campaign videos could come up on your facebook feed if one of your friends likes or shares something).
(https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.b...anada-50243306)

Politicians boycotting social media though - I don't think that would be popular / doubt it would be manageable to enfore.
good points, I saw on in the bbc news app last night that Twitter are banning all political advertising which is interesting. I'm not sure if this includes just election campaigns or also politicians tweeting everything they do also.

Ha ha I tell you what tho, Donald Trump without Twitter would be tantamount to an amputation for him 🤣
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
In theory yes, in principle no. As the other poster noted (and indeed yourself) this would severely limit their ability to engage with the electorate.
With that being said, it might well be worth looking into drawing up a legal frame work for what they can and cannot do on it.
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
In theory yes, in principle no. As the other poster noted (and indeed yourself) this would severely limit their ability to engage with the electorate.
With that being said, it might well be worth looking into drawing up a legal frame work for what they can and cannot do on it.
Agreed to a point. However, we have a two reir system. Advertising on TV is highly regulated yet on social media anything goes. Last month I saw an ad on Facebook from the Tories about them spending £13 billion on education. The BBC picked up on this, did some digging and found they had double counted. It is properganda. As a teacher I nearly fell for it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (216)
19.37%
Labour (475)
42.6%
Liberal Democrats (212)
19.01%
Green Party (57)
5.11%
Brexit Party (30)
2.69%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.36%
SNP (16)
1.43%
Plaid Cymru (10)
0.9%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.09%
Sinn Fein (2)
0.18%
SDLP (1)
0.09%
Ulster Unionist (3)