The Student Room Group

MAT Oxford 2019 discussion

Poll

What score do you expect

How did you guys find the paper?

I messed up pretty badly.

Scroll to see replies

Definitely a hard paper I would say, I especially struggled to finish 3 in time (so I didn't) and a couple of the multiple choice I had to make a bit of an informed gamble but I found question 5 and 6 (6 because I'm doing M&CS) pretty accessible, maybe spent a bit to much time trying to write out my answers to 5 and 6 out legibly and in sentences that make sense:smile:.
Reply 2
Oh god, wish the threshold would be lower this year cauz I'm pretty uncertain bout my grade:smile:
It was definitely difficult, I didnt get q2 at all and the multiple choice was annoying. Just hoping i get above 60 :frown:
q3-5 were alright tbh
I would say that it certainly was one of the more difficult papers. In the past papers I was getting around 70 on average, from today’s paper I think I would be lucky to get 50.
Reply 5
Original post by agentofchaos
Also someone make a poll on Maths exam section. i need to make sure everybody did like ****.

done
Im also applying for durham uni, should I tell them that I took MAT? I think they check to lower the conditional offer but will they actually check others and the result data and compare it? like imagine they only check that ive got say 50 from MAT and reject me. Could this really happen?

No
anyone else fail horribly?
Reply 8
I was getting 80-95% in past papers but I think I got around 60 in this one ;-;
Should be enough for Warwick though so I guess it's fine.
(edited 4 years ago)

so dont say or this wouldn't happen? 55-65.

Its not a public exam so you do not need to put it on there, and it will also indicate to them you are applying to oxford, which at the moment they can not tell - also they won’t compare- so no and no
Original post by Hugh's Swan
Its not a public exam so you do not need to put it on there, and it will also indicate to them you are applying to oxford, which at the moment they can not tell - also they won’t compare- so no and no

Actually i might be wrong on that - sorry, they do mention something about warwick and imperial on their page, but I don’t know what that is about.
Reply 11
Should I bother telling Durham what I got? I got an offer last night and it just said A*AA with nothing about it being a reduced offer conditional on the TMUA or MAT whereas my Warwick offer said it could be reduced (the same grades as on their website).
what mark do u think will be high enough to get an offer/reduced offer from imperial or warwick
Reply 13
does anyone know how to do q7?
But wouldnt they need a standard to decide if someone did good or bad on MAT? how would Durham decide if they do not check the data like the average applicants score ,etc. ? Definitely Warwick and imperial are given by CAAT just like Oxford but durham must need one too or that would be a bit non sense? like imagine the average score was 60 and one got 70. Durham sees only 70 and thinks this is bad compared to their absolute standard mark boundaries. idk.

Yes, sorry ignore what i said, i think i gave the wrong information :frown:
How can I find and vote on the MAT score poll? I'm new to TSR and cannot seem to find it and I read on another MAT thread that one had been created.
Reply 16
Do you think the averages are going to drop this year?
I am estimating something around 55-66 for computer science, and I feel like this isn’t enough even for shortlisting honestly
Quite hard, think 5 was the hardest. Hopefully got above 60.
I did ****. I found it so hard and I've done so much for it I wanted to die lol. I think nerves got the best of us and I couldn't sleep last night. Funny now but still sad
Hi. So I missed my MAT as my Mum got into an accident yesterday and there was no one who could take care of her for her surgery today. I informed the college Oriel about it, but I just wanted to know, is it possible to get into Oxford without the MAT due to extenuating circumstances? Has anyone heard of this happening?

Quick Reply

Latest