The G Word: Gold Panda's GYG for 2K19-20. Watch

Poll: Should we have a team name, like other GYG blogs?
Hell yeah! (1)
100%
Oh hell no! (0)
0%
I don't mind lol (0)
0%
Gold Panda
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Countdown to end of A Levels

Do YOU like cheesy school-based puns? Perhaps you like reading about people’s meltdowns over Ranvier’s nodes? Or maybe you’re a lazy procrastinator who is putting off studying for that maths test because hey! Netflix and TSR right?

Hola chicos and welcome to The G Word, my GYG blog for the academic year 2019-20. Apologies for the late start but I've had an immensely busy first start to term so I couldn’t be starting nuttin’. This is my academic diary and I’ll use it to track (hopefully I will update every Friday) and update my academic plans, get good advice and support and hope it’s a useful thing to people. Besides, I really want that free Macbook.

Introducing Gold - Who Am I And Why You Should Follow Me

I am Gold Panda, a Y13 student who is in her last year of school and hopefully passes her A-Levels! Obviously, my real name ain’t Gold Panda but I'm sure someone here knows too bloody much and considering the size of my sixth form, subject combinations and unique things only my sixth form seems to do, I am sure some bright spark would work out my identity. I currently go to a school sixth form and I study biology, Spanish and English Lit A-Levels (I know the mix is hella strange but Que será, será ). English is just about the only subject I like and do ok at and Spanish is fun but the exams take a whole ‘nother level. As for biology, well....we’ll leave it at that.

If you like stupid jokes about school, are a lazy a$$ (I have a religious server, God Bless🙏🙏🙏) procrastinator who can't be bothered doing their own work and wants to watch someone having a meltdown over why AQA Spanish have rammed up the grade boundaries or are simply entertained by the ravings of a lunatic biology student, then you're at the wrong blog!

Jokes jokes, you are at the right blog! Now, let's get to the nitty gritty of what you people really want to know...

MY GRADES

GCSEs: They were a pretty decent batch of GCSE results. I still am kicking myself about maths tho. Damn maths
Spoiler:
Show
English Literature - 9
English Language - 8
Maths - 5
Spanish - A (one mark off an A* goddamnit!)
History - A
Core Science - B
Additional Science - A
Drama - C
L2 BTEC ICT - L2 Pass

AS Levels: Yeah, these were so bad, they made the Titanic look like a success in comparison
Spoiler:
Show
English Lit (Edexcel) – B
Spanish (AQA) – E
Biology (OCR) - D

Predicted Grades are ABC with A in English, B in biology and C in Spanish. TBH, I'm kinda lucky for lol but ofc, I'm out here hoping to get dat AAB u no hahha

Unis and offers
Spoiler:
Show
Queen Mary’s - ABB with A in English. BBC with successful completing of RO programme with B in English
Royal Holloway – ABB with B in English.
Goldsmiths – BBB
UCL – Rejected
King's College - Contextual offer of ABB with A in English

Important Exam dates
Spoiler:
Show
Spanish Listening, Reading and Translation Paper - 21/05/2020 (AM)
English Literature Paper 1 (Drama) - 21/05/2020 (PM)
English Literature Paper 2 (Prose) - 1/06/2020 (AM)
Biology Biological Processes - 4/06/2020 (AM)
Spanish Writing - 5/06/2020 (AM)
English Literature Paper 3 (Poetry) - 9/06/2020 (AM)
Biology Biological Diversity - 11/06/2020 (AM)
Biology Unified Biology - 16/06/2020 (AM) also this is my last exam and last ever day of sixth form so 🎉🎉🎉🥂🥂🥂

GOALS FOR 2019-20

ACADEMIC
Spoiler:
Show
To get AAB minimum in my A Levels (I am aiming for A*A*A lol but girly needs to be realistic)
To get into uni
Beat procrastination (and learn how to spell it 🤣🤣🤣🤣) maintain self-discipline and have an effective study and homework routine
Have partial fluency in Spanish

Also, these aren't my only goals for the year. I have some more personal goals for this year.
Spoiler:
Show
Beat procrastination and maintain good self discipline
Grow long, thick, healthy hair that is around 24'' (mid back/bottom of boobs for the uneducated here)
Go on a proper diet and exercise plan
Drink 2L of water and take vitamins everyday
Develop and maintain a proper skincare routine (no, solely using a superdrugs jelly cleanser apparently doesn't count)

Overall, I want this academic year to be my best academic year and to do fantastic overall! Thank you so much for coming to me!

•?((¯°·._.• 🎀 𝒮❀ 𝓅𝓁𝑒𝒶𝓈𝑒, 𝓁𝑒𝓉’𝓈 𝒻𝒶𝓁𝓁 𝒹🌸𝓌𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓇𝒶𝒷𝒷𝒾𝓉 𝒽💮𝓁𝑒 𝒾𝓃𝓉🌺 𝒲🌸𝓃𝒹𝑒𝓇𝓁𝒶 𝓃𝒹 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝒿☯𝒾𝓃 𝓂𝑒 𝒾𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓁𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝟩.𝟧 𝓂💍𝓃𝓉𝒽𝓈 🍪𝒻 𝓂𝓎 𝓉𝒾𝓂𝑒 𝒾𝓃 𝒻𝓊𝓇𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓇 𝑒𝒹𝓊𝒸𝒶𝓉𝒾🌞 𝓃. 🎀 •._.·°¯((?•

Also fellow GYGers who I really like their content and am not just fully tagging for clout 🤪🤪🤪
Last edited by Gold Panda; 4 days ago
Gold Panda
Rep:
?
EXAMS OVERLOAD

Hello everyone and welcome to my first update. I have just finished all my exams for AP1. AP1 stands for assessment point 1 and it is one of my school’s 3 exam seasons, in October, January, and March. I have done 6 exams for my AP1. I did one in biology, which is just on the topics we have studied in class (communication + homeostasis, patterns of inheritance, cellular control, excretion, plant hormones, ecosystems (the Y13 bit) and biological molecules and membranes (the only bit of Y12 content). We had 2 for English, one of which was on Keats’ poetry where I compared emotional pain in Ode to Nightingale and Ode to Melancholy and then the full drama paper, which was Othello and Streetcar. In Othello, I compared the relationship between Othello and Iago and in Streetcar, I compared social orders. As for Spanish, it was split into 3. I had to do an oral exam which was on immigration to Spain before the huge reading, listening and translation paper was split into 2, to accommodate for time. Otherwise, I'd be there for three hours trying to work out what the point of Los Castellers is. 😅😅😅

Biology I found quite easy but I have this sickening feeling in the bottom of my stomach I screwed it up cause, OCR is a B***** . Spanish listening and oral went considerably better than the reading, which is the goddamned bane of my existence. The translations actually went well. There were only a couple of words that I didn’t know so I shoved something random in to make sure it made sense. Of course, bloody AQA will give me 0/10 because I ‘’DiDnT uSe tHe rIgHT wOOOrdssss’’ These exams have got me simultaneously feeling like

But damn, it feels gooood that these exams are out of the way.
Last edited by Gold Panda; 2 weeks ago
Gold Panda
Rep:
?
Also, this isn't an update but I plan on doing a bunch of blog posts over the weeks talking about the apps I use for study, my favourite study tubers, tips I recommend and updates about things like my beauty regimes and whatever and also how I beat procrastination cause like, I'm lazy. ahahah
Gold Panda
Rep:
?
Stir Up a Hornet's Test

Today was the longest, most exhausting day of school everrrr! Firstly, it was a full day! I had all 3 lessons! I did biology, English lit, and Spanish today and was just about ready to drop after that. These lessons are 100 minutes long! DID Y’ALL HEAR ME!? 100 minutes LONG! I was about ready to faint in English because of the length.

Today P1 was Biology. We went over the flight and fight response, going over the basics of the hormones and the parasympathetic nervous system. In P2 Spanish it was Los Movimentos Populares, with summary practices and even reading aloud. I swear to God, I have the most English accent ever. Today P3 was English and we were going through scene 1-2 and especially at Blanche’s closer characterisation. I was also ready to drop by that point. 😴😴😴😴😴😴😴

I also got one hell of a deal last week! At the end of Y13, I'll be getting my own Airpods as a well-done treat and If I get my AAB minimum, guess who’s getting the latest iPhone????!!` This gyallie hereee!!

P.S - FINALLY MANAGED TO USE COLOURSSSSS! Aren't y'all proud of me yet.

P.P.S - I hope you all like my witty exam based puns. I know, I'm wet lol 🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪
Last edited by Gold Panda; 2 weeks ago
ThunderBeard
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Just wanted to say, I read your blog n it's very entertaining, with the drama and the extra bits. Carry on doing well.
Airpod pro or the normal ones?
Nice change of colours but light green is kinda hard to see.
Gold Panda
Rep:
?
(Original post by ThunderBeard)
Just wanted to say, I read your blog n it's very entertaining, with the drama and the extra bits. Carry on doing well.
Airpod pro or the normal ones?
Nice change of colours but light green is kinda hard to see.
Hey, thanks for the support! Noted on the bits about colours being hard to see, I will change it forthwith! As for the AirPods, I am hoping I can get the Pro but the normal AirPods shall suffice. If I get the new phone, I can exchange my current iPhone and basically get the AirPods for a tenner 😂😂😂😂
ThunderBeard
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Gold.Panda)
Hey, thanks for the support! Noted on the bits about colours being hard to see, I will change it forthwith! As for the AirPods, I am hoping I can get the Pro but the normal AirPods shall suffice. If I get the new phone, I can exchange my current iPhone and basically get the AirPods for a tenner 😂😂😂😂
Nice deal!
Gold Panda
Rep:
?
(Original post by ThunderBeard)
Nice deal!
Thank you 😄
Gold Panda
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I have some fantastic news

Yesterday at 6, I was checking my emails when I got a new popup from King’s College, telling me that there was a new message regarding my application to the English degree. I logged in, half bracing my self for rejection and I see a start date, which provided me with a lot of hope I got in and get a message.

A congratulations message

I GOT ACCEPTED INTO KINGS COLLEGE GUYS! DID YOU HEAR ME! KING’S! FLAMING! COLLEGE! OH MY GODDDD!

AND I GOT A CONTEXTUAL OFFER OF ABB WITH A IN ENGLISH WHICH IS PRETTY DAMN MANAGEABLE! AND THE WAIT IS OVER!

You do not understand. I was fully expecting to wait until March or something before Kings would respond and a rejection considering what my teacher said and the AAA requirement. This is also great motivation as well.

Now it is the big one I have left – UCL.

Attached files
mez_merising
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
omg congrats!!! what does a contextual offer mean?
Tolgarda
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by mez_merising)
There were probably extenuating circumstances that lowered some of the grades required from what a typical offer would have.

Gold.Panda, what sort of mitigating circumstances allowed you to get the contextual offer?
Last edited by Tolgarda; 1 week ago
Gold Panda
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tolgarda)
There were probably extenuating circumstances that lowered some of the grades required from what a typical offer would have.

Gold.Panda, what sort of mitigating circumstances allowed you to get the contextual offer?
I don't think I actually have any mitigating circumstances that would have affected my offer. According to KCL.com, ''King’s currently receives from UCAS a number of pieces of socio-economic, and school performance data which may be used as part of the holistic assessment of a student’s future potential to succeed at King’s. Care-leaver status will also be taken into consideration.'' Since I am not a care leaver, we can rule that out. I am assuming it either because I am a student of Realising Opportunities, which will reduce the AAA to ABB (but doesn't say so on the offer) or my things like my postcode or school location or something like that. I actually don't know ahah.
Gold Panda
Rep:
?
(Original post by mez_merising)
Thank you! I loved your GYG and I can only hope mine becomes half as successful or half as popular!
Tolgarda
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don't think I actually have any mitigating circumstances that would have affected my offer. According to KCL.com, ''King’s currently receives from UCAS a number of pieces of socio-economic, and school performance data which may be used as part of the holistic assessment of a student’s future potential to succeed at King’s. Care-leaver status will also be taken into consideration.'' Since I am not a care leaver, we can rule that out. I am assuming it either because I am a student of Realising Opportunities, which will reduce the AAA to ABB (but doesn't say so on the offer) or my things like my postcode or school location or something like that. I actually don't know ahah.
Socio-economic and school performance data can sometimes suggest mitigating circumstances despite not sounding like it. It is used as quite a broad term when applying to university.
mez_merising
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thank you! I loved your GYG and I can only hope mine becomes half as successful or half as popular!
aww I’m sure it will!
Gold Panda
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tolgarda)
Socio-economic and school performance data can sometimes suggest mitigating circumstances despite not sounding like it. It is used as quite a broad term when applying to university.
Yeah that’s a very good point. My school however performs exceptionally well apparently as did the school where I did my GCSEs so maybe it’s postcode 🤷 and ethnic background? I’m a BAME so perhaps it that as well? But idc, I got a ABB offer so I’m real pleased 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉
Last edited by 8472; 6 days ago
Gold Panda
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
School Update

sorry for the lateness uploading but I have had problems trying to upload this and another article in the last 2 or so days and I have been really busyyy!!!

Name:  Unknown.jpeg
Views: 7
Size:  10.7 KB

We have been in the middle of learning Animal Responses and Evolution (I have 2 teachers who teach different modules). Animal responses are basically the nerves and flight or fight and muscle contraction and that sort of thing. I don't know why I just didn't do it with my other teacher when we did nerves but Idk man. The last 2 biology lessons I had with my teacher were basically practicals. Friday was really unusual in that we talked in depth about doing a practical method for investigating heart rate and we had to do the practical in our own time. My teacher said every time he did it before, it just resulted in the classes running up and down for a whole lesson and was totally unproductive. Besides, the other class apparently did it soooo...😂

Name:  tenor.gif
Views: 2
Size:  21.0 KB

(Shaggy and Scooby perfectly demonstrating the flight or fight response)

For English, we have been reading Keats’ poetry and are currently doing the Eve of St Agnes. The myth of St Agnes’ Eve is really quite unique. It was a middle ages folk belief that a girl could see her future husband in a dream if she performed certain rites on the eve of St. Agnes, which is on the 20th of January (21st is St Agnes Day). She would go to bed without any supper, undress so that she was completely in the nude and lie on her bed with her hands under the pillow and looking up to the heavens and not look behind. Then the proposed husband would appear in her dream, kiss her, and feast with her. A Scottish version of the ritual would involve young women meeting together on St. Agnes's Eve at midnight, they would go one by one, into a remote field and throw in some grain, after which they repeated the following rhyme in a prayer to St. Agnes: “Agnes sweet, and Agnes fair, Hither, hither, now repair; Bonny Agnes, let me see The lad who is to marry me.” there is, of course, no suggestion that this ever worked for anyone at all but hey! Tis the middle ages! Science is witchcraft dontchaknow?? Eve of St Agnes is beautifully written but very long. Its 42 flaming stanzas and we are still only on around stanza 21 or so.

Name:  methode-times-prod-web-bin-100f6582-1b1b-11e9-944c-54b267eb465b.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  71.9 KB

(I have a religious server and minors watching this thread so Madeline has to keep her clothes on)

For Spanish, we have been doing racism and have started on countercultural and popular movements. There will later be a specific lesson on Asociación Madres de Plaza de Mayo (Mothers of the Plaza de Mayo) which will link to my topic for the independent research project about the argentine dirty war and effects 40 years on. That IRP will be the focus on an article soon enough xx (watch this space)

Name:  300px-2ª_Marcha_de_la_Resistencia_9_y_10_diciembre_1982.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  39.0 KB

In non-school related news, I recently bought a pack of 15 Stabilo highlighters in varying shades, which I will post a picture of next week. I also have written up an article about the apps I use for my school life which will be uploaded next week as well as a big AP1 update as I am waiting until I get all my exams back (still waiting for biology). So you will get an article on what apps I use and a big exams update next week!

Till next time.....
Last edited by Gold Panda; 6 days ago
Gold Panda
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
UCL

No, not the end of my A Levels sadly. My university updates. Tonight I received an email from Track saying that I need to login as there has been an update on my UCAS application. That could only mean one thing - UC-bleeding-L finally replied to my offer. It only took them a month to reply to my offer lol (tbh I was genuinely fearing that I would be waiting for an offer until May). So I logged in and then I saw the doom

''Your offer was unsuccessful.''

And just like that, my dreams of being UCL alumni were gone. TBH, i don't know why I'm shocked UCL rejected me, I knew they would based on my grades lol. But at least I gave it a shot and I will never regret applying. Although I will now have my smug English teacher telling me ''yOu sHoUld NoT hAvE aPpLiEdDdD'' like shut it man! Anyway, I got an offer from Kings and Queen Mary's so I'm fine. I will reply on Tuesday about my firm/insurance and make a blog post about it.
Last edited by Gold Panda; 1 day ago
Gold Panda
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
So a tasty indicator of what is coming up in the next 2 weeks

• Full AP1 exams feedback and breakdown (God I am going to shoot myself after making those results public)
  • A full article about the apps I use in my daily study and why I use them (plus really cool highlighters lol)
  • My planner system
  • English Coursework update
Last edited by Gold Panda; 4 days ago
Gold Panda
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
APPSOLUTELY - The Panda Post P.1

AYO WASSUP BOYZZZ??!

Name:  The Panda Post.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  143.5 KB

Hello and welcome to the first edition of the Panda Post. Panda Post is specifically for non-academia related updates but things that I want to share and also will help other people with. This is the first of my posts about other things beyond my daily school schedules. This is going to be about apps I have on my phone, that I specifically use for school. At the bottom of this post is a couple of articles from College Info Geek (one of my favourite ever websites btw) about organisational apps.
Here is the list of apps that I have for organisation

Habitica
Flipd
Scannable
My study life

Habitica is used for building my daily habits since I have a lot of things I have to self-care related but am often too lazy to do. Habitica is used by me for building my good habits (and prevent bad habits). I also use it as my todolist and replaced todoist, a similar app, with Habitica as Habitica is more fun (you even have your own characters with Habitita!!!

Flipd is the best time management app I have ever used! I love it! With a couple of specific times of study (they got rid of 30-minute organisation and 5-minute mental break RIP), I can decide what category I use. I often use studying for 1 hour. I also use work as well which is 4 hours.

Name:  IMG_1747.PNG
Views: 4
Size:  412.3 KB

Scannable is only an app for scanning documents and emailing them over. A real godsend especially since it means I don’t need to hang around the science printer photocopying my overdue homework with my teacher in the same office.

My study life is the reason I have thrown away physical copies of my school timetable. It has my timetable on it, I can record homework tasks on it and when they are due and I can also see how many classes and what else is due. I can keep track as well of any tests that I have an all sorts like that.

https://collegeinfogeek.com/my-favorite-tools-and-apps/ - link here
What about you my Goldies? What are your favourite apps?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (121)
69.14%
No I haven't decided yet (34)
19.43%
Yes but I might change my mind (20)
11.43%

Watched Threads