Gap year? Watch

shriya
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
anyone planning to take a gap year, and then applying for medicine, in 2010?
kjc_us
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I heard universities don't like it if medicine students take Gap Years...
Asclepius
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by kjc_us)
Complete ********. Why comment if you don't know what you're talking about? Medical students study for 5 years, so it is quite common for people to take a gap year before starting the course. besides the fact that many successful applicants are reapplicants who have taken a forced gap year. Pisses me off when there is so much crap advice flying around this forum :mad:
Edit: You want to do languages, so what the **** are you doing in the medicine forum?
Pepe Le Poosh
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Alex L)
Complete ********. Why comment if you don't know what you're talking about? Medical students study for 5 years, so it is quite common for people to take a gap year before starting the course. besides the fact that many successful applicants are reapplicants who have taken a forced gap year. Pisses me off when there is so much crap advice flying around this forum :mad:
Edit: You want to do languages, so what the **** are you doing in the medicine forum?
A little harsh but I echo those sentiments. It does wind me up when people listen to rumors about a subject they know very little about and then post it as truth.
kjc_us
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Alright, touchy. First of all, I am a member of this site, so I shall go into whatever forum I want to. As it happens, it came up as a 'Recent Thread' so I didn't know it was in the medicine part. Secondly, I am only repeating what I have been told at every Open Day I've been to in the Gap Year talks. Oh and thirdly, one of my best friends wants to do medicine and when I asked her if she was considering a Gap Year, she laughed at me.

Now in future, kindly do not fly off the rail and starting f-ing and blinding at me for no good reason. Good day.
kjc_us
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Pepe Le Poosh)
A little harsh but I echo those sentiments. It does wind me up when people listen to rumors about a subject they know very little about and then post it as truth.
To quote myself: "I heard..."

Last time I checked, saying that you'd heard something doesn't mean you're saying it's true.
Asclepius
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Alright, touchy. First of all, I am a member of this site, so I shall go into whatever forum I want to. As it happens, it came up as a 'Recent Thread' so I didn't know it was in the medicine part. Secondly, I am only repeating what I have been told at every Open Day I've been to in the Gap Year talks. Oh and thirdly, one of my best friends wants to do medicine and when I asked her if she was considering a Gap Year, she laughed at me.

Now in future, kindly do not fly off the rail and starting f-ing and blinding at me for no good reason. Good day.
In which case your best friend is equally misinformed then, taking a gap year does not put you at a disadvantage, in many ways it can make you a more appealing applicant as long as you do something useful with your time. The problem comes when everyone starts repeating what they've heard, the decent advice soon gets lost among the sea of **** that is posted
Asclepius
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Pepe Le Poosh)
I get ratty in the mornings
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

You're all misinformed, please go back to Chat now kthxbai.
Beska
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hey guys.

I'm not studying Medicine, but I went to an open day at a university that doesn't do the A100 course and are going to study languages, and I heard there that the university doesn't like it if medics take gap years!!!!!!! Hope this helps.
Asclepius
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Beska)
Hey guys.

I'm not studying Medicine, but I went to an open day at a university that doesn't do the A100 course and are going to study languages, and I heard there that the university doesn't like it if medics take gap years!!!!!!! Hope this helps.
Now let me refer you to my above posts (aimed at another languages applicant). Although you may remove some of the harshness because you at least started by saying that you aren't informed when it comes to medical applications :p:
Beska
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That was a fakepost, by the way.
Cynicism 101
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Once more, from the top.
Repeat after me, people-who-have-no-knowledge-of-medicine-applications:

Unis LIKE gap year students.
Gap year is GOOD.
Many successful applicants are applying in their GAP YEAR.
You CAN take a gap year if you want.

Understood or shall we do the drill again?
Asclepius
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Beska)
That was a fakepost, by the way.
My bad I've just seen some of your other posts now
Speedbird2008
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

Kindly **** off.
No Future
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Dunno, I applied on my gap year and got in. Maybe I am just super amazing? Well, I like to think so anyway.

----

ps. Guys, chill out! Is it pre results day tension or what??
Asclepius
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by No Future)
Dunno, I applied on my gap year and got in. Maybe I am just super amazing? Well, I like to think so anyway.

----

Well I'd only just woken up, that's my excuse :p:
Cynicism 101
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by No Future)

----

Oh yes. 24 hours.
No Future
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well I'd only just woken up, that's my excuse :p:
Fair enough.

In my case, having been on a night shift last night, I haven't just woken up, that's my excuse
Saffie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Speedbird2008)
Kindly **** off.
That's out of order... you have no right to tell anyone to **** off. And Alex_L too.. harsh. OK they're wrong, just say tell them that. There's no need to be rude.

Gap years are good.
Make sure you apply for deferred entry in 2009 or you might get the new higher fees that come into play in 2010.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (234)
39.39%
No - but I will (40)
6.73%
No - I don't want to (43)
7.24%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (277)
46.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise