Neurocandid
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Ive been using gumtree for over 6 years. I am not a regular seller or buyer but whenever I'm upgrading any gadgets I post my old ones there

Recently, I posted a camera DSLR and phone... the response I got was overwhelming. This seemed very unusual as mainly/ often I start to get responses after a number of hours or days. Also, one thing that was much common was that they all wanted to pay via PayPal with others bidding a higher offer. Just as I was about to send 'Alice' -a potential buyer with the highest offer, something told me 'if it's too good to be true then...

I immediately flinched and came to realisation that I could have have been scammed in broad daylight. I was just wondering if anyone have come across these bots on gumtree?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Neurocandid)
Ive been using gumtree for over 6 years. I am not a regular seller or buyer but whenever I'm upgrading any gadgets I post my old ones there

Recently, I posted a camera DSLR and phone... the response I got was overwhelming. This seemed very unusual as mainly/ often I start to get responses after a number of hours or days. Also, one thing that was much common was that they all wanted to pay via PayPal with others bidding a higher offer. Just as I was about to send 'Alice' -a potential buyer with the highest offer, something told me 'if it's too good to be true then...

I immediately flinched and came to realisation that I could have have been scammed in broad daylight. I was just wondering if anyone have come across these bots on gumtree?
Ive heard of it before and think a quick google would reveal the same.
Maybe better to look on ebay and see what the going rate is.
I believe it would be something to do with paypals refunds, stolen accounts or stolen cards.
Neurocandid
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Ive heard of it before and think a quick google would reveal the same.
Maybe better to look on ebay and see what the going rate is.
I believe it would be something to do with paypals refunds, stolen accounts or stolen cards.
Thank you! Very unapologetic these scammers are 🙆*♂️
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (95)
19.43%
Labour (207)
42.33%
Liberal Democrats (97)
19.84%
Green Party (33)
6.75%
Brexit Party (15)
3.07%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (6)
1.23%
Plaid Cymru (5)
1.02%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)