The Student Room Group

How to learn how to fight?

I can't do taekwondo or karate lessons and I'm not sure about using YouTube. I plan to take self defense classes when I'm older and if I can afford them but for now I can't.

My brother gets angry quite easily and gets physical and I hate it. I go easy on him when it comes to using objects as I know I could seriously hurt him if I used objects and end up getting in trouble. But I hate it when he bloody hits me because of his stinking anger issues.

Can't have a decent calm discussion because he's dumbass thinks fighting is the way to go. And he gets a bloody kick out of seeing me flinch when he pretends to punch me. It pisses me off that I can't control my flinches.

Any advice for learning how to fight? I want to make sure that he doesn't want to mess with me.
Krav Maga is supposed to be good, for both sexes, but bare in mind a lot of what you get taught can be quite nasty outside of a street fight/ fight for your life situation. Maybe Aikido?
I know you said you’re hesitant about YouTube, but fightips is really good, You’ll learn enough without having to go to a class.
(edited 4 years ago)
With regards to flinching I hope you realise that flinching is a good thing and should not be 'stopped'. It's a reaction that makes you much less likely to get hurt (particularly in the eyes).
Attachment not found
Reply 5
Thank you, what do you mean by it being nasty outside of street fights. Do you mean it's like overkill?
Reply 6
Original post by Kryptonitekid43
I know you said you’re hesitant about YouTube, but fightips is really good, You’ll learn enough without having to go to a class.

Thanks, is fightips a YouTuber channel?
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
With regards to flinching I hope you realise that flinching is a good thing and should not be 'stopped'. It's a reaction that makes you much less likely to get hurt (particularly in the eyes).

I just don't want to flinch when my brother pretends to punch me.
Reply 8
Original post by zedius
Attachment not found

I chuckled, I'll give you that 🤭
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks, is fightips a YouTuber channel?

Yep :smile:
Watch Dragon Ball Z.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending