Oxbridge Applications? Watch

Danomind
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I really want to go to Oxford or Cambridge, but what are the grades required (GCSEs or IB) and how do you apply? And the interview?
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It varies by course (although no real GCSE requirements are given, only A-level). Although AAA (at A-level) is the normal offer for most things. What do you want to study?
imomo16
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There's all the information you need in the undergrad prospectuses and on their websites.
OllyThePhilosopher
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Check the websites.
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
http://www.cam.ac.uk/

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/inter...nts/index.html

Although remember that, as far as I know, you can't apply to both.
Asclepius
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You can't apply to both no, and the deadline for applications is earlier (around October 14th IIRC)
Graphix
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Also check both the Oxbridge, University of Cambridge and University of Oxford forums...

If you search for long enough, you will most likely find the answers to all of the questions you most likely have.
Dionysus
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There are no specific requirements, but you are normally expected to have mostly As and A*s at GCSE and a prediction of AAA for your A Levels. However, I was interviewed last year for Oxford with pretty weak GCSEs by their standards, so you should at least apply if you think you have any chance of getting in. If you are studying alternative qualifications, provision can also be made for that. They have equivalent requirements for almost everything. There's much more information on their websites. You can only apply to either Oxford or Cambridge, not both, in the same year.
Excalibur
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Some general info:

You can't apply to both and you must apply by the 15th October.

You can only pick one college to apply to, although you may get a second interview at a second (or even third) college at Oxford, and you may be pooled in January at Cambridge. You can also put in an open application which means you will be randomly allocated a college by an automated system. An Open application should not decrease your chances.

You may need to fill out an extra form on top of your normal UCAS form. For Cambridge, you'll need to provide all your UMS marks for every module you've taken, including retakes. Oxford doesn't require this.

You may need to take some entrance exams depending on your subject (e.g. the HAT for History at Oxford, the TSA for a lot of subjects at Cambridge etc). Both interview the vast majority of applicants, although Oxford tends to pre-select before interview more.

The interview is not an oral exam of your knowledge, but more of a test to see how you think, your potential to learn, etc. They'd ask you about things you probably wouldn't know but would be able to make educated suggestions on, so it doesn't necessarily matter if you get things wrong. There's more information about particular subjects on the Wiki or in the Oxbridge forums.

There are no minimum set of required grades - people with 10A* and 7 As get rejected while people with no A* and AABB may sometimes get in. Though of course, the better your grades, the better your chances. IIRC the average GCSEs for a successful applicant was something like 6A*.

All offers are usually AAA, or more. Sometimes they make ask for AAAA, or AAA + distinction in an AEA, or to get As in every A2 module, etc. If there were extenuating circumstances while taking your exams, or if you are the first in your generation to go to university, your school's crap etc, you may be eligible to apply through the respective Access Schemes. If you get an offer through that you may get an AAB offer.
Danomind
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by Dionysus)
However, I was interviewed last year for Oxford with pretty weak GCSEs by their standards, so you should at least apply if you think you have any chance of getting in.
What did you get for your GCSEs?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
38.82%
No - but I will (46)
6.76%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.5%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (319)
46.91%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise