Transferring University in the Second Term

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am currently at the University of York which was my insurance university choice. I never really wanted to go to York university and I was very set on going to the University of Nottingham (my first choice). On results day I felt very stuck with my options and in a rush I decided that I MUST go to York.

Now I am here and I am feeling very miserable. The people here seem to all be very similar. I have become antisocial and quiet. The city at night is not fun. I know that this shouldn't be the main reason for picking a university but for me, I look at my friends in city universities like Nottingham/Birmingham/Leeds and can't help but think that I am missing out.

I am currently deciding between dropping out and doing a degree apprenticeship or attempting to transfer university. I am scared to transfer into the second term as I feel like everyone will already have made friends and have people to live with already, and that I will feel just as lonely and out of place as I do right now.

Has anybody heard any success stories of people transferring universitys in the second term or has experienced this?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do you mean transferring in second year or are you hoping to transfer mid year?

Universities will not allow transfers mid year.

If you look at the top of the applications, clearing and ucas forum there’s a thread called University Transfer FAQ. The first post explains what you need to consider, decide and do to arrange a transfer.

It’s not usually possible to transfer into 2nd year of a degree if you didn’t meet the first year entry requirements. Transfer to start again in first year using your first year study to supplement your A levels is more likely
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I am currently at the University of York which was my insurance university choice. I never really wanted to go to York university and I was very set on going to the University of Nottingham (my first choice). On results day I felt very stuck with my options and in a rush I decided that I MUST go to York.

Now I am here and I am feeling very miserable. The people here seem to all be very similar. I have become antisocial and quiet. The city at night is not fun. I know that this shouldn't be the main reason for picking a university but for me, I look at my friends in city universities like Nottingham/Birmingham/Leeds and can't help but think that I am missing out.

I am currently deciding between dropping out and doing a degree apprenticeship or attempting to transfer university. I am scared to transfer into the second term as I feel like everyone will already have made friends and have people to live with already, and that I will feel just as lonely and out of place as I do right now.
I expect you have good A levels since you got into the University of York, so it shouldn't be a problem for you to get accepted by a different uni, although probably not Nottingham if you didn't meet the entry requirements last year. Transferring mid year is not possible. Some people transfer straight into Year 2 of an alternative uni (you could email ones you are interested in to start the discussion) but more commonly, (and easier socially) is for people to drop out of one uni and reapply via UCAS to begin Year 1 again somewhere else.

If you drop out by the end of the first term you are normally only liable for 25% of the year's tuition fees at York, although you may also be liable for the year's accommodation costs unless you or the uni can find someone else to take over your room. These are things that you will need to check with York student services. Assuming you do drop out, you will still be entitled to student finance for the whole of your next degree course.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (276)
56.44%
I don't have everything I need (213)
43.56%

Watched Threads