LeedsStude1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
My details:

GCSE’s: 5 As, 5Bs
A Levels: 3 As 1B (General Studies) AS: 1B
I’ve just graduated from Leeds Uni with all 60+% in modules in my second and third year.

I applied for a few vac schemes/TCs in my second year but didn’t get anywhere because: I only got a 2:2 in my first year, I only made four or so applications which is not enough really and I was very naïve and severely lacking in interview/assessment day experience.

This year (my final year) I sent out apps like crazy. I had a vac scheme with a small west end firm who have offered me a TC. However I have some more vac schemes with larger firms (e.g. BLP!) coming up at the end of the month.

I need some advice guys. The deadline for my TC offer is before my other schemes are finished. The TC offer I have is with a good firm but they are very small and don’t do the more Corporate type things that I would like. However, because of all my rejections in my second year I don’t want to turn down what may be my only TC offer. I am, now, really good at interviews and stuff but the whole TC process is a lottery.

If you were in my position what would you do? Apologies for such a long winded post but I’m tearing my hair out.

xx
mariad
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Why did you apply to them in the first thing if they 'didn't do the more Corporate type of things that I would like'?
LeedsStude1
Rep:
?
(Original post by mariad)
Why did you apply to them in the first thing if they 'didn't do the more Corporate type of things that I would like'?
Because I was desperate after getting so many rejections in my 2nd year. I applied to every Tom, **** and Harry! They are a good firm but I just feel like I can do so much better and also I'm still not sure that law is completely right for me - that maybe I should try and get into banking or finance?!
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
End of the day, its all a personal choice. We cant tell you how good or how much you will enjoy law, banking or finance or any other career.

Dont take the TC just for the security if you dont really want to work there, i say this as you say you've made lots more applications and have other vac schemes, if you prefer a handful of other firms, wait for them? (just saying what id do)
LeedsStude1
Rep:
?
(Original post by sarforaz)
End of the day, its all a personal choice. We cant tell you how good or how much you will enjoy law, banking or finance or any other career.

Dont take the TC just for the security if you dont really want to work there, i say this as you say you've made lots more applications and have other vac schemes, if you prefer a handful of other firms, wait for them? (just saying what id do)
Thanks sarforaz. Positive rep.

It is my own decision I know but I am soo confused. When you're applying and get rejected you feel like you would take any TC offer out there. Yet a few months later you become picky and choosey. I just feel like I could do better and am wondering about my future career after this firm. It isn't Clifford Chance by a long way!
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well, obviously i dont know the full details of what you've done and are doing etc.
But say you have atleast a couple more vac schemes this summer and making more TC applications for bigger firms i presume?
The vac schemes (if with better firms) suggests you should be able to get a TC with a firm around that size and to me it sounds you WANT that more but just afraid to let go of the security blanket (the offer you have now).
Charlottie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'd telephone the places that you have vac schemes, and tell them that you have an offer (which assumedly expires before their vac scheme). Explain that you are very interested in them, but that you are wary to reject an offer - a sure thing - in case you did not succeed with them. Ask if you could perhaps have a TC interview pushed forwards. I suggest this because when I accepted a TC and then telephoned a place I had a vac scheme at to reject their vac scheme, I was told that had I contacted them about the offer before accepting it, they'd have offered me an early interview so that I might have more choice.
Lewisy-boy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You can always accept the offer and then just go back on it later if you get a better one. This is quite common from what I've heard. Lets be honest, this may not be best practice, but what can they do? It's not like they'll have advanced you any sponsorship money or anything at that time which they can demand to be repaid, is it?
LeedsStude1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lewisy-boy)
You can always accept the offer and then just go back on it later if you get a better one. This is quite common from what I've heard. Lets be honest, this may not be best practice, but what can they do? It's not like they'll have advanced you any sponsorship money or anything at that time which they can demand to be repaid, is it?
haha, positive rep!

I would be a bit worried that the SRA may ban me or summat for being dishonest. Aren't you meant to stop dealing with ofer firms once you accept an offer too!
NW8_SW1_EC3
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I really would of thought with your credentials you would of got further, I think you have been unlucky. If what lewisy-boy stated is correct then go with that, keep your options open with something to fall back on. Good luck.
LeedsStude1
Rep:
?
(Original post by NW8_SW1_EC3)
I really would of thought with your credentials you would of got further, I think you have been unlucky. If what lewisy-boy stated is correct then go with that, keep your options open with something to fall back on. Good luck.
Thanks London Postcodes. very kind of you to believe in me. Personally I think my credentials are quite average: I'm no Oxbridge first by a long way!

I do have a TC offer which I guess is my back up. i am just a bit worried because it has a deadline. I can only keep it as a back up for a short period.
Lewisy-boy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Thanks for the positive rep, because some hardline boring person negged me on that one . I don't know all about it - if you are meant to stop dealing with other firms then so be it, but I know of people who have had a TC offer, accepted it, then rejected it to take up another one. It's not like it's never been done.
Ethereal
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by LeedsStude1)
haha, positive rep!

I would be a bit worried that the SRA may ban me or summat for being dishonest. Aren't you meant to stop dealing with ofer firms once you accept an offer too!
There is something in the guidence about this but I can't remember it off the top of my head and I can't be arsed to look for it.

Check the sra website.
TommehR
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I haven't read the thread properly, but have you asked if you can have a bit more time to make your decision?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (228)
39.31%
No - but I will (40)
6.9%
No - I don't want to (41)
7.07%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (271)
46.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise