The Student Room Group

Talking to the psychologist just made my day worse

I had to talk about the problems that happened in my family and my fear of failure. Spent an hour talking about them and they didn't try to solve any of my problems. They just sat and listened. It actually made my day worse. My day only got better when I sang for two hours later on. Why do psychologists not solve my problems?
Original post by GeolPhysics
I had to talk about the problems that happened in my family and my fear of failure. Spent an hour talking about them and they didn't try to solve any of my problems. They just sat and listened. It actually made my day worse. My day only got better when I sang for two hours later on. Why do psychologists not solve my problems?

Hey sorry for the way you feel, but you’ve been really strong throughout it.
However, psychologist can’t really solve your problems, they can help you in coping your stress and understanding how you feel, etc.
You can message me and talk about it if you want to :smile:
Original post by adviceisallineed
Hey sorry for the way you feel, but you’ve been really strong throughout it.
However, psychologist can’t really solve your problems, they can help you in coping your stress and understanding how you feel, etc.
You can message me and talk about it if you want to :smile:

I think next time I'll spend less time talking about my problems. The more I talk about them, the more I notice them and it just makes it worse. I'm on a gap year an haven't been doing much tutorial sheet work this week.
Reply 3
They don't solve your problems they talk with you so you can figure out how to solve them yourself. They can't do things "for you". That's not really how therapy works. Is this your first session?
Original post by Pathway
They don't solve your problems they talk with you so you can figure out how to solve them yourself. They can't do things "for you". That's not really how therapy works. Is this your first session?

Ok. Yeah, it's my first session. All the problems came to light after it and I now know what they are. They're all to do with the way other people are behaving emotionally around me. I get annoyed by other people's negative emotions. Sometimes I get upset and cry. But I know and they have spoken about how I can't really change people. It's been like this since my teens and I can't wait to leave the house and live on my own one day. But I can't do that right now.
Therapy/counselling does tend to make one feel pretty **** at first - takes some getting used to. Hang on in there if you can :smile:
Because it's not their job to solve it. If you want to actually solve your problems rather than just have someone listening you need to go to therapy not counseling. Therapists won't solve them for you, that's not possible. But they will give you tools to deal with them. These things tend to make people feel worse at first because they are unearthing upsetting things they may have tried to ignore or bury
Original post by CoolCavy
Because it's not their job to solve it. If you want to actually solve your problems rather than just have someone listening you need to go to therapy not counseling. Therapists won't solve them for you, that's not possible. But they will give you tools to deal with them. These things tend to make people feel worse at first because they are unearthing upsetting things they may have tried to ignore or bury

Yeah, I think it's time for me to solve my emotional problems. I just don't know how to go about it.
Yeah, I think it's time for me to solve my emotional problems. I just don't know how to go about it.

The psychologist will guide you in the process of solving it. You won't necessarily be noticing what they are doing, but they will be doing something - you need to keep at it.

well, you’re already well on the way as you’re aware that your emotional state isn’t perfect, or as good as you’d like it to be & you’ve acted on that by getting in contact with a psychologist. so you’ve already taken some pretty big steps in order to reach your end goal ~ you should feel proud of yourself for that, even if you don’t feel much better by reaching out, trust me, you will & you’ll be thankful of that in the future.

mental health & emotional state isn’t an easily solved puzzle though ~ often not having the greatest mental health is because of multiple issues & feelings you’ve endured, not necessarily to your delight. so you may feel like the steps you’ve made so far aren’t amounting to much progress in your journey but they are. they really are. because at the end of the day, actually taking steps, no matter how small they are, is better than taking no steps at all.

you’ve got to have faith in yourself to conquer your mission ~ & i have faith in you so you should too! :smile:

hopes this helps, or boosts your mood, or something :smile:
Same happened to me when I was in therapy, i always came out of it feeling worse and it never got better, in the end I gave up.

Quick Reply