how to deal with relationships in the navy?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
My boyfriend left to start his 10 weeks basic training for the navy down in Plymouth very recently and I'm just wondering if anyone has been or is in the same boat as me, it seems like such a long time until I'm able to see him, I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to cope (cried all day after him leaving)- up until him leaving we saw each other almost every day, it's going to feel so strange not being able to see him now
its selfish of me but a small part of me hopes he does a few years and then finishes in the navy, I just think it could take a toll on our relationship even though we love each other very much.
anyone got any advice on how to think about it in a more positive way or if anyone is in the same boat as me?
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If this ten weeks is too difficult then have a good think about if this relationship is right for you.

I'm a submariners daughter, have dated men in the navy, and have lived on naval estates the majority of my life. Many navy GFs/wives just can't handle it. Their mental health suffers. The relationship falls apart. I have lost track of the amount of couples I've known who have split because the woman has decided she can't handle the loneliness anymore and leaves with the children to be closer to their own parents. Many also live apart from their partners for this reason - even after marriage and children. I personally know at least three men who drive to another country every weekend to see their family. When you're in a naval family you dont get to pick and choose where you live. Your partner will be away months at a time. It's a whole lifestyle.

in saying that though, my parents have been married almost 28 years. My mother isn't the type of person to pine over my dad while he's gone. She just gets on with life and figures he'll home when he gets home. She credits the forced breaks for the fact they've not driven each other mad and divorced.
lmsm641
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m lucky that I only have to wait 8 weeks to see him because he gets 2 weeks off for Christmas and then goes back for 2 weeks to finish his training, it’s still hard though. Hopefully it’ll pass quickly for you ☺️
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (606)
33.87%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (749)
41.87%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (354)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (80)
4.47%

Watched Threads