In my 2nd year of university and no friends...

Watch
username1292215
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I believe I have no friends. I have many people who I could talk to on the way to class/ back from class. Or if I saw them around. Basically just acquaintances.

Last year I really struggled to find a friendship group, everyone else seemed to connect and form cliques really quickly and easily.

My housemates don’t really want to include me into their group, and so now I just treat them as housemates.

I’m part of a sport but it’s more individual based.

This is going to sound dumb, but I don’t know what to do. It seems like everyone isn’t looking to make anymore friends because everyone’s already got their groups figured out since last year.

And uni has been pretty hard on my mental health, feeling isolated doesn’t help.

I am part of a sport (but it’s more individual based and has less socials), I have a part time job lined up. I plan on going abroad with my course society. But like I said it just seems like people are really unwilling to make extra friends at this point
Last edited by username1292215; 1 year ago
username1292215
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Just me then...
Genie20
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Have you thought of confiding in one friend/acquaintance that you wouldn't mind tagging along with this/her group of friends ? perhaps to the pub, cafe, hang out place? there's no harm in admitting you are feeling low to the acquaintance as they might just surprise you and try to help you join in with he established friends.i know it must be difficult for you but keep trying and be positive but true to yourself and don't try to be someone you are not. All the very best to you! Network and you will make a friend soon.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
I totally understand this I’m in the same boat as you. I struggled to connect with people on my course last year and due to being mixed lectures it was hard to find somebody doing the same course. My flat mates are the same they don’t want to include me in to their group.

I’d suggest joining society’s if you can find one that suits you (mine are all mostly sports related, which I’m not into) so I haven’t but that could potentially be a good way to make friends.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
Same I have no friends whatsoever. My acquaintances are eh it's like there's no point in having them. I make the effort to continually meet up during breaks/or the weekends and they can't even do the SIMPLE - meeting up in uni.
I am so lonely and I can barely even help myself. Everyone says joining societies are a good way so maybe try that.
I've joined societies and didn't gain much from it.
I am so alone and with the flatmates I don't even see them to get that chance to talk to/be friends with. Since I've moved in to my private halls I've only seen them (2 girls) like 4 times. And I moved in at the start of this month.

I'm also in second year and I fear I won't progress and be embarrassed at graduation day. I have no connections with my course mates and it's been over a year :O I'm constantly trying to integrate but I'm often ignored so :/
Plus they don't even voluntarily talk to me about or with anything so it's like why am I even trying but I'm still trying because my course mates will have to acknowledge me at some point bc we will be together for 2 years from now so.
I have zero friends, no social life. To prevent from being and feeling even more lonely I just join my coursemates and hang out with them during my breaks as I tag a long.
It's so clear that I don't have any friends and I'm just so miserable about it and my uni experience. I'm just waiting to graduate and be done with it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (705)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (888)
42.71%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.9%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.47%

Watched Threads