The Student Room Group

Chemistry at Oxford

I am in year 12 and I have always loved the idea of going to oxford uni- I was taken there on a school trip a few years ago and completely fell in love with it. I would love to do Chemistry at oxford, however, I don't do maths. Is it worth changing one of my subjects to maths just so I can apply to oxford next year? I don't love maths but I think that if I really do want to go to oxford surely I should do everything I can to be able to apply, even if I don't get in because then I know rather than wondering what could have been. Equally, the chances of me getting in is slim because oxford is so hard to be accepted into, so am I just wasting my time doing a subject that I don't enjoy? Please help, thank you!!
Reply 1
Original post by Student01234
I am in year 12 and I have always loved the idea of going to oxford uni- I was taken there on a school trip a few years ago and completely fell in love with it. I would love to do Chemistry at oxford, however, I don't do maths. Is it worth changing one of my subjects to maths just so I can apply to oxford next year? I don't love maths but I think that if I really do want to go to oxford surely I should do everything I can to be able to apply, even if I don't get in because then I know rather than wondering what could have been. Equally, the chances of me getting in is slim because oxford is so hard to be accepted into, so am I just wasting my time doing a subject that I don't enjoy? Please help, thank you!!

A levels are tough, so you want to be doing subjects you enjoy. However if you really want to study Chemistry at Oxford then you'll definitely need A level maths, so it depends how much you're willing to commit to trying to go there!
Original post by Pippa_12
A levels are tough, so you want to be doing subjects you enjoy. However if you really want to study Chemistry at Oxford then you'll definitely need A level maths, so it depends how much you're willing to commit to trying to go there!

Yeah you are right, thanks :smile:
Reply 3
Hey, I need some advice, I want to do chemistry at oxford but am unsure whether I will be accepted. I got 9999988877 (8 A* and 2A) . The A Level I do is chemistry, physics, maths and further maths, initially, I thought I wanted to do physical natural science at Cambridge but realised that while revising physics wasn't for me. I don't know whether I should drop it because the oxford requirements for chemistry do not need physics. So I could do chemistry, maths and further maths. But I don't want to drop it and then regret dropping it, but at the same time, four levels are very hard to manage.
Hey, just thought I’d respond to this as the initial post in this thread was mine. Bit funny that I’ve had an email notification so thought I can’t not say something! So I guess I had a similar issue 2 years ago and this is what happened: I changed to maths, predicted all A*, similar gcses to yourself, lots and lots of supercurriculars to talk about, and then applied to oxford for chemistry but got rejected after interview. I think it’s important to highlight that you can be the most qualified candidate on paper but it still doesn’t work out. I’m studying Chemistry now at a different uni and would say that chemistry as a subject is a spectrum and you have the physical side, but it also interlinks with biology, medicine, pharmacology etc. So what I’m trying to say is that when applying I suppose they don’t care about where on that spectrum you are (as long as you’re on it!) so it’s up to you. At the end of the day do what you enjoy and what you’re interested in. The subjects you are looking at clearly show ability and that will defo come across. Although I do not regret switching to maths as it is useful in a chemistry degree, looking back I don’t think it’s worth studying something you don’t want to do because it’s what you think they want- because it might not even work out. Passion and enthusiasm will get you further than anything else (in my opinion). Good luck, I hope things work out well!
Hey, just thought I’d respond to this as the initial post in this thread was mine. Bit funny that I’ve had an email notification so thought I can’t not say something! So I guess I had a similar issue 2 years ago and this is what happened: I changed to maths, predicted all A*, similar gcses to yourself, lots and lots of supercurriculars to talk about, and then applied to oxford for chemistry but got rejected after interview. I think it’s important to highlight that you can be the most qualified candidate on paper but it still doesn’t work out. I’m studying Chemistry now at a different uni and would say that chemistry as a subject is a spectrum and you have the physical side, but it also interlinks with biology, medicine, pharmacology etc. So what I’m trying to say is that when applying I suppose they don’t care about where on that spectrum you are (as long as you’re on it!) so it’s up to you. At the end of the day do what you enjoy and what you’re interested in. The subjects you are looking at clearly show ability and that will defo come across. Although I do not regret switching to maths as it is useful in a chemistry degree, looking back I don’t think it’s worth studying something you don’t want to do because it’s what you think they want- because it might not even work out. Passion and enthusiasm will get you further than anything else (in my opinion). Good luck, I hope things work out well!

Sorry 3 years ago now! I’m second year, dk where the time went!
Reply 6

Thanks, I have dropped physics now after realising I do not want to study physics as a whole at university.

Quick Reply

Latest