Combined honours (law and politics) Watch

GrahamFromJeremyKyle
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Say I took law and politics at Cardiff... is that a qualifying law degree? It says it's the LLB but I don't really understand.

I don't think I have the grades to just do straight law at Cardiff but I really want to go there!
welsh_chick
Badges: 7
Report 10 years ago
If it says the degree is an LLB then it is a qualifying law degree. So, even if its combined with Politics, or French, if it says LLB, then you can still qualify as a solicitor with it, as you still study the key modules the Law Society requires in recognising it as a qualifying degree. I applied to Law and Politics at Cardiff because I didn't have the grades for straight law, but I decided I'd rather just concentrate on Law, so did it somewhere else.
GrahamFromJeremyKyle
Rep:
?
That's helpful, thanks. I definitely don't have the grades for Law at Cardiff but at a push I could probably get the required grades for Law and Politics. Good to hear it qualifies then. I love Cardiff a lot!
Kitty Pimms
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by GrahamFromJeremyKyle)
Say I took law and politics at Cardiff... is that a qualifying law degree? It says it's the LLB but I don't really understand.

I don't think I have the grades to just do straight law at Cardiff but I really want to go there!
The Cardiff Law and Politics degree meets the requirements of the governing bodies of the solicitors and barristers branches of the legal profession so that LLB graduates may obtain exemption from the academic stage of the professional examinations (provided they include the foundation subjects in their studies). Cardiff Law School also offers the Legal Practice Course and Bar Vocational Course which graduates wishing to become solicitors and barristers respectively need to complete.
http://courses.cf.ac.uk/undergraduat...detail/80.html

I suspect it will be up to you to pick the right modules in years two and three though.
faber niger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes, it's qualifying -- as long, as course, as you pick the mandatory modules, but you can ask Cardiff what these are when you get there if you're not sure.
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes it is (although I see that's already been confirmed. But if you're ever uncertain then always check with the solicitors regulation authority. They keep a list of accredited degrees. As you can see Cardiff's JH courses are there

http://www.sra.org.uk/students/academic-stage.page#c
GrahamFromJeremyKyle
Rep:
?
(Original post by River85)
Yes it is (although I see that's already been confirmed. But if you're ever uncertain then always check with the solicitors regulation authority. They keep a list of accredited degrees. As you can see Cardiff's JH courses are there

That's brilliant, thanks!
x=o
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My sister's friend did Law & Accountancy at Manchester, and city firms were pretty much fighting over him. Law and Politics would be a great degree imo.
Kitty Pimms
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

Cheers River, that's really useful
Lord Hysteria
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by GrahamFromJeremyKyle)

Do you do the 7 core foundation modules?
* contract;
* tort;
* criminal;
* equity and trusts;
* EU;
* land; and
* public
River85
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Lord Hysteria)
Do you do the 7 core foundation modules?
* contract;
* tort;
* criminal;
* equity and trusts;
* EU;
* land; and
* public
That's it! I was trying to remember all of the seven core modules and I was having a mind blank I forgot EU and land. Forgetting land in particular is quite embarrising as I may be studying it in a couple of years time.
Lord Hysteria
Report 10 years ago
That's it! I was trying to remember all of the seven core modules and I was having a mind blank I forgot EU and land. Forgetting land in particular is quite embarrising as I may be studying it in a couple of years time.
oh dear!
couldn't have done well, if you can't even remember the module name!! :afraid: :p:
River85
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Lord Hysteria)
oh dear!
couldn't have done well, if you can't even remember the module name!! :afraid: :p:
Lol, I didn't study it. I may be in the future (as part of an MSc in Real Estate). I haven't completely dismissed taking the GDL but I'd say a career in rural surveying is more likely than a law career, right now.
Lord Hysteria
Report 10 years ago
Lol, I didn't study it. I may be in the future (as part of an MSc in Real Estate). I haven't completely dismissed taking the GDL but I'd say a career in rural surveying is more likely than a law career, right now.
I am doing the Maitres. A wise guy like you doesn't need an explanation.
I am just wondering whether to become a French lawyer or Barrister first?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (399)
37.64%
No - but I will (82)
7.74%
No - I don't want to (75)
7.08%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (504)
47.55%

Watched Threads