2008 Graduates: Are you in full-time employment? Watch

Poll: What is your current employment status?
Full-time (7)
30.43%
Part-time (0)
0%
Temping (0)
0%
Unemployed (12)
52.17%
Other (please state) (4)
17.39%
Dramatic Star
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Latest news suggests that "just six per cent of graduates completing their first full-time degree last year were unemployed after leaving their course" & gain salaries averaging "£15,000 to £23,000 according to the Higher Education Statistics Agency".

Source: Metro

I thought it would be interesting to see how far this article applies to 2008graduates of TSR at this current moment. Although, I understand this article is applying to recent figures of graduates of 2007.

Vote in the poll & (if you feel comfortable divuldging your wage) how much you earn.
IcEmAn911
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just graduated with a 2:1 and currently unemployed. Reason being I'm looking for a temporary job before undertaking a masters in marketing although I've yet to succeed mainly because most temporary jobs require experience which is something which I don't have as by the time I'm all trained up I would have had to leave the job.
Dramatic Star
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by IcEmAn911)
Just graduated with a 2:1 and currently unemployed. Reason being I'm looking for a temporary job before undertaking a masters in marketing although I've yet to succeed mainly because most temporary jobs require experience which is something which I don't have as by the time I'm all trained up I would have had to leave the job.
I completly sympathise with you. Last year, I had such a job gaining temporary employment because I had no experience. Eventually got it & have found that this year, it was much more the case that companies were freezinf recruitment rather than being picky over experience (although, because there are less temporary positions out there, competition is fierce & those with experience prevail). Good luck

Anyway, my response to the post! I'm temping at the moment, however have just gained a First in Marketing & have found a full-time position within the sector (hence why I put full-time).
Interrobang
  • Volunteer Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by IcEmAn911)
I'm in a similar position - I'm looking for experience I need to apply for a post grad course next year. A few of my friends are carrying on education now they've graduated as well
F1 fanatic
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I will be working by September, but am currently enjoying some time off until then to appreciate my final months of freedom :p:
PieMaster
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Dramatic Star)
Latest news suggests that "just six per cent of graduates completing their first full-time degree last year were unemployed after leaving their course" & gain salaries averaging "£15,000 to £23,000 according to the Higher Education Statistics Agency".
I'd be pretty annoyed if I were earning that little after graduating.

Personally, I start work in about a month for around double the lower end of that 'average', and am graduating with a 1st in Computing Science.
Luize
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm working at the moment, but only part time in my local pub where I've had a job for 2 years. Really I would class myself as unemployed.
I've put out about 10 applications. had 1 failed interview and have another interview coming up. I don't expect to get the job but it will be good practice I guess.
Have another 6 positions to apply for this week.

the average salary is a bit off though. Some of the grad positions i've applied for are as low as 12k. Most don't advertise a salary anyway.
apotoftea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just got my results and I'm working 4/5 days a week but it's the same job I had since the end of my second year, just upped my hours.

I'm not looking for grad level jobs as I'm doing an MA
Kitty Pimms
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah, this poll would be much more useful if there was a 'graduate job' and 'further study' box.
princess_sue
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
my cousin has just graduated with a First on the same course as me and is in a graduate scheme on 27K. She starts 23rd July
WoWZa
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm not working at the moment, don't really need to and am sort of relying on pursuing an MSc! One of my ambitions is to make millions from my laptop
Ollie87
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i'm a labourer aren't i bais!
prodriven
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Been in full time work for 5 weeks now.....

I am earning more than the averages given in the article but I do have considerable relevent experiance in the industry I am working in. Plus I am not really in a graduate scheme/role so I have full responsibility/accountability for all myself, alot of people I speak to in grad schemes seem to have a bit of a safety net for them to make a few mistakes (and learn from them I guess!).
travisfan
Report 10 years ago
do graduate schemes pay less than a normal job?

(Original post by prodriven)
Been in full time work for 5 weeks now.....

I am earning more than the averages given in the article but I do have considerable relevent experiance in the industry I am working in. Plus I am not really in a graduate scheme/role so I have full responsibility/accountability for all myself, alot of people I speak to in grad schemes seem to have a bit of a safety net for them to make a few mistakes (and learn from them I guess!).
Kitty Pimms
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by travisfan)
More, ordinarily.
oriel historian
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Is waiting for term to start again (PhD this time around!) an other or unemployed!!! Heh, I guess I'm an other.
prodriven
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by travisfan)
Well, in our 'heirachy' structure I am sat above grad/placement people (I'm well powerful, me :p:) which puts me in a higher salary code etc. Once the people on the grad scheme finish their 2 years they will be the same level as me, although hopefully by then I would have moved up aswell.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (307)
37.44%
No - but I will (63)
7.68%
No - I don't want to (61)
7.44%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (389)
47.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise