hailssouthlondon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Looking for some tips!

I've managed to get a day observing an art class at a secondary school, and wonder if anyone has any advice on what on that might entail? Would it be normal practice to interact with students, or is it expected to literally sit and observe with minimal interaction?

Any tips appreciated!
AC79
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
As a student doing art I feel I may be able to help you!

First of all, well done on getting the placement. As it’s a day I expect you will be seeing a bunch of different year groups(?) so you may want to change your interactions based on what year group is in. The younger ones tend to be louder (this is based off my school so no guarantee with everything I say) and more energetic - more likely to be anxious talking to people they don’t know so if spoken to may give minimal answers, unless of course you can figure out the chatterbox then they’re probably your best bet! Older ones tend to be more quiet and get their heads down but are happy to probably explain their theme/ style etc. to you. Also you could ask the teacher of the class(es) what they would recommend I’m sure they’ve been in your shoes before at some point and they know their students best. Sometimes just standing back and watching is as interesting, you can see the difference between everyone’s styles, techniques, thinking etc.

Hope this was of some help and good luck!
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by hailssouthlondon)
Looking for some tips!

I've managed to get a day observing an art class at a secondary school, and wonder if anyone has any advice on what on that might entail? Would it be normal practice to interact with students, or is it expected to literally sit and observe with minimal interaction?

Any tips appreciated!
I'd speak to the class teachers you are observing beforehand if possible- ask what they would like! Most teachers will be happy for you to chat to and work with the students when they are working independently. Teachers may also be happy to answer any questions you might have before or during the lessons.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (162)
18.93%
Labour (369)
43.11%
Liberal Democrats (167)
19.51%
Green Party (47)
5.49%
Brexit Party (22)
2.57%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.35%
SNP (11)
1.29%
Plaid Cymru (7)
0.82%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.12%
Sinn Fein (1)
0.12%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (1)