How many driving lessons would I actually need to pass?

Watch
Jxb1y12
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
I know this question has been asked about a million times, but I recently just turned 17 and want to start learning to drive, but I’m not too sure how long it’ll take before I can actually pass my test.

The main reason I’m posting in here is because I don’t really have a lot of money to pay for the lessons Because I’ve only just started at a new job and it’ll take a while before I can pay for the lessons, so I intend to use my mums car and she can help teach me and help me to gain experience with driving. So basically what I’m asking is how many lessons do I actually need because I want to pass ASAP but idk if I can just learn with my mother and have just a few lessons?
Cheers

tl;dr: I want to learn to drive but I’ve got no money really, how many lessons do I need?
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Jxb1y12)
I know this question has been asked about a million times, but I recently just turned 17 and want to start learning to drive, but I’m not too sure how long it’ll take before I can actually pass my test.

The main reason I’m posting in here is because I don’t really have a lot of money to pay for the lessons Because I’ve only just started at a new job and it’ll take a while before I can pay for the lessons, so I intend to use my mums car and she can help teach me and help me to gain experience with driving. So basically what I’m asking is how many lessons do I actually need because I want to pass ASAP but idk if I can just learn with my mother and have just a few lessons?
Cheers

tl;dr: I want to learn to drive but I’ve got no money really, how many lessons do I need?
How long is a piece of string?

DVSA say the average is 45 lessons + 22 hours of private practice. A lot of people need a lot more, and a lot of people need a lot less.
Jxb1y12
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
How long is a piece of string?

DVSA say the average is 45 lessons + 22 hours of private practice. A lot of people need a lot more, and a lot of people need a lot less.
Oh ok so it’s sort of based on how quick you pick it up I suppose then, thank you
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Oh ok so it’s sort of based on how quick you pick it up I suppose then, thank you
Absolutely.

See how it goes, best of luck. Having access to a private car for practice is incredibly beneficial.
Mona123456
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago

Cheers

Another option is having automatic lessons—if your Mum’s car is automatic, having automatic lessons speeds up the process and providing you practice independently you may be able to pass with 20-25 lessons. However, this does rely on your Mum having an automatic car, and also you would maybe need to take another test later on if you wanted to drive manual cars or rent cars abroad.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (47)
16.04%
I'm not sure (8)
2.73%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (100)
34.13%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.37%
I'm not a current university student (134)
45.73%

Watched Threads