marsai
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi Tab,

I hope you are doing fine. Here are some tips.

1. Make wise A-level choices. This should be subject you do well at and enjoy.

2. Make sure you develop skills you enjoy with relevant work experience related to your field of study. You can do this any time but best after studies.

3. Time to study is important. Make sure you find a strategy to get you started and moving.

4. Remember that career coaches help and let them clarify anything by more appointments.

Good luck! All the best!
marsai
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
English literature at A-level maybe??
Happy birthday tabia!!! 🥳🥳🥳

(Original post by Y12_FurtherMaths)
The way you talk doesn't make it seem like English is your worst subject lol
marsai
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Your anecdotal skills are outstanding.
This is good to develop but how do you maintain this quality?
Start something new every day as every little revision helps. Talk to existing A-level students at sixth form. Ask what subject are good. What it’s like. You can have a general discussion when asking if your tutor can facilitate this help. For example matching successful students who are enjoying their subject.

Best wishes,
Mariam

(Original post by Tabia)
Birthday Mocks and More...

One of my goals is to "be more consistent" and clearly, this is not going well for me. As each day of this week progresses, I've felt less and less inclined to update. Do any of you guys have tips on being more consistent, whether it is on updating or just plain revision? Also please do share some love guys, it really does help! :heart:

Monday
Spoiler:
Show
Maths - Paper One
Computer Science
Religious Studies - Beliefs

I remember a lot of the knowledge that I applied to my Year 10 EOY exams was due to cramming. Now look at the difference... I know it's unhealthy, but I promise, after these two strenuous weeks I will thoroughly expiate these gaps in my knowledge. I had three exams on Monday: Maths Paper 1, Computer Science and RS. After battling some of the questions in Maths, I was left confused: unsure whether I did well or not. It was hard. Some of my peers were telling me that it wasn't, leaving me to my now precarious confidence in Maths. Computer Science did not go smoothly either. It's one of those subjects that for the past year I haven't been focusing on, and although I wasn't satisfied with my answers, I finished the exam early.

Tuesday
Spoiler:
Show
Religious Studies - Themes & Practices
Physics

To contrast, I believe that RS compensated the lack of confidence in my previous exams, as part two continues to the next day, thus allowing me for another day of cramming. The same applies to Physics, but the results will have to speak for themselves. I was feeling much more anticipation for the next day, which unfolds as the following...

Wednesday
Spoiler:
Show
English
Design & Technology

These two subjects in particular make me nervous, especially when combined together but I advised myself that it's better not to let this feeling of apprehension rule over the rigour of my work; so I remained sanguine instead. And to my surprise, it worked. I swiftly waded through the paper, conscious of the time. I felt confident by the time I got to the creative writing section and completed it with time to spare. What? There was 30 minutes left, I've written only a page worth of creative writing. Surely this can't be right. With ten minutes left, I thought it was a good idea to quickly repleted the next page with absolute balderdash. Hopefully that didn't downgrade what I thought was quality writing beforehand.
Hey, did I mention? It was my birthday:birthday: during mocks, yes. Luckily, this positive mood reflected off of my DT exam as well. And in spite of the fact that it was 2 hours long:eek:, I managed to easily complete it. That may be because the exam board for DT is AQA - I remember doing an OCR paper last year, and it was much more difficult! :no:

Thursday
Spoiler:
Show
Maths Paper 2

Maths, oh maths. I think the problem is that I set myself such high expectations, that when I fail to meet them, I struggle to cope. I came to the exam determined, in hopes that I can amend for the loss of marks that I surely made on Paper 1. The first half of the paper was completed swiftly, with an hour left. But perhaps I worked too hard, too fast, that when I recovered from the throbbing pain of my hand signalling that I was writing too fast, my mind went blank. Convoluted questions, ones that I expected to know how to answer, started hitting me as time was running out. The next thing I knew was that I was on the same question for what seemed like forever. The sound of the clock seemed to pound upon me, along with me feeling pathetic, causing the bane of my once precarious confidence. I literally had a breakdown.

Friday

Spoiler:
Show
Chemistry

After feeling crestfallen the previous day, I decided to start the last day of the week a little bit more spirited, focusing my revision on Chemistry which was at the end of the day. Please, please, please make sure to turn over the page! There may be a 6 marker hiding from you, which was the case with me and I had to answer it within the last 10 minutes! I can conclude that Chemistry is another subject where I haven't been focusing on for the past year, and I aim to grasp its curriculum more firmly these upcoming months.

As for now, I am overjoyed that a good fraction of my mocks is over, but wish me luck for what's next! It's very much needed.:heart:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (44)
33.33%
No I don't (62)
46.97%
I work during the holidays (26)
19.7%

Watched Threads