UCL more likely to reject you if you apply to Oxbridge? Watch

gangsta316
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Is there any truth to this?

Do they just surmise that you applied to Oxbridge when they receive your application earlier?
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That is not true. You hear the same thing about other similar unis (LSE, Durham, Bristol). Unis don't know which other instiutions you've applied to (they used to, years ago). Yes, they make guess that you are if they receive your application earlier but they aren't stupid enough to reject you because of that. It would be a big assumption to make and may mean they miss out on a great student.
secretmessages
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Are you suggesting that because UCL receive a certain application early, they guess that someone's applied to Oxbridge? I don't think this is the case. Universities never (officially) know the other universities you've applied to, which is important when it comes to fairness. I suppose they could guess that someone's applied for Oxbridge if they receive an application early (although of course this isn't always the case - many schools encourage everyone to apply early), but it shouldn't make any difference to the application. However I don't know the truth of the statement in the thread title although I would guess it is very unlikely to be the case.
Lord Hysteria
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by River85)
That is not true. You hear the same thing about other similar unis (LSE, Durham, Bristol). Unis don't know which other instiutions you've applied to (they used to, years ago). Yes, they make guess that you are if they receive your application earlier but they aren't stupid enough to reject you because of that. It would be a big assumption to make and may mean they miss out on a great student.
Yeap they don't know.
And not should they. It has no bearing on your application.
They only know after you have submitted your firm and conditional.
qgujxj39
Badges: 15
Report 10 years ago
Logically, surely a good university would rather have a potential Oxbridge candidate (who is more likely to be intelligent and ambitious) than someone who isn't. Also, the fact that universities are obliged to give equal consideration to anyone who applies before the deadline would deter UCL from doing what you suggested and potentially being caught.
River85
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Exactly. I was quite well organised and sent off my application early (very beginning of October). It certainly didn't stop me getting my offers (although I didn't apply to UCL). I even got an offer within one day of sending off the application

Just to repeat (as it's a myth that needs to be eradicated) they do not know which other unis you have applied to and they will not assume. It doesn't do anyone any favours.
faber niger
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Not sure. But it can't be an absolute, or even a widespread, policy, as of course most of UCL's applicants will also have applied to Oxbridge!
username138327
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Not an exact quote, but said by a lecturer doing the presentation at the UCL economics open day in novermeber:

"You're here because you're the best. We all know that most of you have applied for oxbridge, and some of you will be successful some of you not, but we have given you offers because you are the best"

The point being, that it doesn't matter whether you have applied for oxbridge or not, if they think your the right student for them they will give you an offer.
quintsy
Badges: 3
Report 10 years ago
It'd be a bit of a risk for UCL and other similar universities to take, rejecting all potential Oxbridge candidates merely in the hope of being more people's firm choice. Like others have said, if you're good enough to have a chance to Oxbridge, then you're probably quite a good candidate for UCL etc. to have; and statistically a large number of people who apply to Oxbridge may not be successful anyway.
james s
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Officially they don't know, but I heard of someone who was rejected from Edinburgh because they already had 2 offers for Vet Med from RVC and Cambridge.

Don't know if this is true or not, but that is really bad form on behalf of the unis if it is.
River85
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by james s)
Officially they don't know, but I heard of someone who was rejected from Edinburgh because they already had 2 offers for Vet Med from RVC and Cambridge.

Don't know if this is true or not, but that is really bad form on behalf of the unis if it is.
That would be crap. There could have been a number of reasons why he/she was rejected by Edinburgh. Where they actually told this?
ThePenguinMafia
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
hahahahahah

then why are half the people at this uni oxbridge rejects?

anywho, the uni wont know unless they ask you.
Onearmedbandit
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
How many people apply to UCL but not Oxbridge anyway?
OllyThePhilosopher
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's possible. I've heard it is more of a problem with places like Durham though.
Annaconda
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by james s)

yeah i just started a thread on the vet med forum cos someone told me that the unis could talk to each other for vet
River85
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by OllyThePhilosopher)
It's possible. I've heard it is more of a problem with places like Durham though.
The official line (for history): -

"How are Oxbridge candidates treated?

There is absolutely no truth in suggestions that are sometimes made, to the effect that we are biased against Oxbridge candidates. We do not know which of our applicants have applied to Oxbridge; and in practice very many of our students have also applied to Oxbridge. It is true that in some instances, candidates rejected by Durham are given offers by Oxbridge; this is not surprising since we have so many good applicants, and do not interview in the way that Oxbridge colleges do."

http://www.dur.ac.uk/history/undergraduate/faqs/

It would take a massive assumption on behalf of the university. They could miss out on having a great, dedicated student. I had no problems getting my offer after sending my UCAS application off before the Oxbridge deadline.
flugestuge
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Fellas)
said by a lecturer doing the presentation at the UCL economics open day in novermeber:

"You're here because you're the best. We all know that most of you have applied for oxbridge
They can hardly be the best if they were the ones that Oxford and Cambridge rejected.
River85
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by flugestuge)
They can hardly be the best if they were the ones that Oxford and Cambridge rejected.
Oxford and Cambridge haven't rejected them! An open day in November. Those attending the open day in question may have applied to both UCL and Oxbridge and would be waiting on offers. Besides, like it or not Oxbridge don't always get the "best" students.

Also there's a bit of UCL arrogance in that "you're here because you're the best" but we'll gloss over that...
james s
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That would be crap. There could have been a number of reasons why he/she was rejected by Edinburgh. Where they actually told this?
Yeah, they were =/

Can just be glad she got those offers I suppose.
OllyThePhilosopher
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It is true that in some instances, candidates rejected by Durham are given offers by Oxbridge; this is not surprising since we have so many good applicants, and do not interview in the way that Oxbridge colleges do.
This is a good point actually, thanks for that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
    Sat, 29 Jun '19
    Sat, 7 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (121)
39.54%
No - but I will (16)
5.23%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.54%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (149)
48.69%

Watched Threads