Have we left (or stayed) yet? Watch

mmmmmmh
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I tried googling about the current Brexit situation but still haven't come to an answer. Have we left the EU yet or has the whole thing been delayed again?
thomasp360
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Delayed
Oscarisapenguin2
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you have Instagram and are interested in getting updates about politics, I follow this page called ‘simple politics’. They just post updates that really simplify the whole situation because they know how overwhelming news articles can be. This isn’t sponsored btw I just genuinely think people could benefit from this page when feeling a lack of information. Hope this helps !
Burton Bridge
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The establishment dont want us to come out, so we haven't
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
The establishment dont want us to come out, so we haven't
The establishment are representing my views brilliantly. Presimibly democracy only works if it supports your view?
Uori32qu
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
The establishment are representing my views brilliantly. Presimibly democracy only works if it supports your view?
Your view is the minority's view...
GCSE_beginner
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This is boring
Same thing's happened again. If the Labour party says that it can make a better deal than Boris Johnson's( which would probably keep Northern Ireland in some sort of customs union) then why don't they explain what it may include?
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think you misunderstand the point of my sentence, all it was stating was "The establishment dont want us to come out, so we haven't" nothing about reputsentation of views was said.

However when democracy supports a minority view over a majority, why do we have democracy? Also was it not you who told me you did not hold a view on the solution to Brexit?

So this begs the question, how can the establishment be supporting you're view when you dont have one to support?
Last edited by Burton Bridge; 1 week ago
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by mmmmmmh)
I tried googling about the current Brexit situation but still haven't come to an answer. Have we left the EU yet or has the whole thing been delayed again?
The answer to your question is "No". We have neither left, nor have we stayed. We are, subject to any future changes of plan, leaving at 11PM on 31 January 2020. However, the key words in that sentence are "subject to any future changes of plan"
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Uori32qu)
Your view is the minority's view...
It was 3 years ago. I would say the view has changed if polls are to believed. Parliament is doing very well at representing a divided nation.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
I think you misunderstand the point of my sentence, all it was stating was "The establishment dont want us to come out, so we haven't" nothing about reputsentation of views was said.

However when democracy supports a minority view over a majority, why do we have democracy? Also was it not you who told me you did not hold a view on the solution to Brexit?

So this begs the question, how can the establishment be supporting you're view when you dont have one to support?
My view has changed. We are coming out of the EU. I get that. But hard Brexit works for no one. Get the deal through and then we can negociate a lasting relationship. Either way, as a nation we are screwed. But there is no such thing as society according to Thatcher so from my own selfish perspective, I'll be alright Jack. And in a few years muself and my wife will be in a position to work anywhere in the world so when it all goes to sh1t, we can easily escape. Its just a shame that may need to be an option.
Kitten in boots
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Happy non-Brexit day.
frantika
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
My view has changed. We are coming out of the EU. I get that. But hard Brexit works for no one. Get the deal through and then we can negociate a lasting relationship. Either way, as a nation we are screwed. But there is no such thing as society according to Thatcher so from my own selfish perspective, I'll be alright Jack. And in a few years muself and my wife will be in a position to work anywhere in the world so when it all goes to sh1t, we can easily escape. Its just a shame that may need to be an option.
Yeah, but the deal pleases nobody. Most brexiteers want no-deal (since a deal still ties us to the evil EU) and remainers don't want to leave in the first place. It's like 2 kids fighting over some chocolate and the parents come in and 'sort it out' by giving each kid some carrots instead. No one is happy. So I doubt a deal will pass.

Basically, what is happening right now will continue for many many many more years. Such a waste of time and effort, and for what? Selling off our NHS to the USA.

I'm bored btw, that's why I'm replying.
winterscoming
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
We haven't left yet, and even if the withdrawal agreement takes effect on the 31st January (assuming a Tory victory on 12th December), the UK will not have left then either. 1st February will mark the beginning of the UK's transition period where it is still effectively a full EU member, although without any representation in the EU parliament - this arrangement will last until at least December 2020. That will also be the beginning of negotiations on the eventual trading relationship between EU/UK, with the Transition period and negotiation deadline able to be extended until the end of 2022.

The transition period and the negotiations which take place during that time are likely to be a lot more difficult and contentious than those from the past 3 years which only resulted in an agreement on the really basic stuff (Money, People, Ireland, and how the next phase would happen).

There's no precedent for any of these trade negotiations because the UK has indicated that it doesn't want anything which resembles any other existing agreements. Most reasonable expectations are that the period leading up to December 2020 won't be enough time to cover all the different aspects of the UK/EU future relationship, and that there'll probably be a lot of tough compromises which may not be well received by the UK parliament, so if Boris' deal plays out, then you can expect the next 3 years to be pretty much the same as the previous 3 with a lot more political infighting and continued uncertainty for the UK economy.
Last edited by winterscoming; 1 week ago
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by winterscoming)
We haven't left yet, and even if the withdrawal agreement takes effect on the 31st January (assuming a Tory victory on 12th December), the UK will not have left then either. 1st February will mark the beginning of the UK's transition period where it is still effectively a full EU member, although without any representation in the EU parliament - this arrangement will last until at least December 2020. That will also be the beginning of negotiations on the eventual trading relationship between EU/UK, with the Transition period and negotiation deadline able to be extended until the end of 2022.

The transition period and the negotiations which take place during that time are likely to be a lot more difficult and contentious than those from the past 3 years which only resulted in an agreement on the really basic stuff (Money, People, Ireland, and how the next phase would happen).

There's no precedent for any of these trade negotiations because the UK has indicated that it doesn't want anything which resembles any other existing agreements. Most reasonable expectations are that the period leading up to December 2020 won't be enough time to cover all the different aspects of the UK/EU future relationship, and that there'll probably be a lot of tough compromises which may not be well received by the UK parliament, so if Boris' deal plays out, then you can expect the next 3 years to be pretty much the same as the previous 3 with a lot more political infighting and continued uncertainty for the UK economy.
Correct and this is what I was explaining to another poster about a month ago. Ironically this is why remainer parliamentarians messed up with rejecting May's deal MK1 because that was the best route to remain.

Renainer parliamentarians could of made the case to rejoin the EU at the end of the negotiation period from much higher moral and credible ground than they currently hold. They could then claim "we have left in March 2019, no trade deals have materialised we are vassal state of the EU now in the backstop, do you wish to rejoin or carry in the Brexit process. I think then it would be a landslide for remain, in that case.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by frantika)
Selling off our NHS to the USA.
This is nonsensical it really is, the irony here is the same people who chant this rubbish are the ones who wish to keep the NHS open to European companies!:rolleyes:
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thatcher did nothing but harm and was a major player in involving in the right wing EU!

Again what you suggest is a soft brexit, that's absolutely fine. We hand this soft brexit agreed, CU,SM and a safety net CU to fall into of negotiations break down. As I correctly stated, Parliamentarians rejected it? So I'll ask again, how can the establishment be representing your views brilliantly? And how do you link that with democracy only working if it supports your view?
leilaxtt
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It has been delayed, yet again. Many are calling for a 'people's vote' as majority of people feel that our voices aren't being heard and when we did vote previously, we not only had a lack of information but also false information, leading to The Conservatives being in power
absmcgill
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
We haven't left yet. It keeps getting pushed back and the EU is being really nice by pushing back the date. They can't decide on a good enough deal so they are going to have a general election in december.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by frantika)
Yeah, but the deal pleases nobody. Most brexiteers want no-deal (since a deal still ties us to the evil EU)
1. Most Brexiteers don't want a hard Brexit. That is just an illusion.
2. The EU isn't evil. We sell half of our exports to the EU and they provide us with much needed food and all the [email protected] we buy on Amazon.
3. The deal only provides a transition mechanism to ensure a smooth transition to being out out of Europe. Hard Brexiteers seem to have forgotten this.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (133)
54.29%
18-20 years old (no) (29)
11.84%
20-25 years old (yes) (38)
15.51%
20-25 years old (no) (4)
1.63%
25-30 years old (yes) (18)
7.35%