a levels science Watch

narutoamv
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
heyo
im just wondering because i did dual award science gcse will i be behind next year to all the students who did seperate sciences?
any of you who do alevel chem, bio or physics (im duing all three next year ) is it easy to catch up? a lot more work/ a lot harder?

thanks
Diaz
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by narutoamv)
heyo
im just wondering because i did dual award science gcse will i be behind next year to all the students who did seperate sciences?
any of you who do alevel chem, bio or physics (im duing all three next year ) is it easy to catch up? a lot more work/ a lot harder?

thanks
I don't think you will be behind but if you did do triple science you may be able to understand some concepts better. That doesn't mean your on the back foot though you've done all the basics and some advanced stuff which you would need to know to do A-level. So no, you shouldn't find it harder if you're good at science. If your hard-working then there shouldn't be that much extra work you would have to put in, your going to have to work hard anyway and no doubt you will find some things hard to grasp. Good luck
Mcjazz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I did double award GCSE science. Then did physics and chemistry at college. It was fine, the stuff's mostly new anyway, and most of the class only did double too.
Tom4510
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
it doesnt really make any difference, as everything the triples did at GCSE that you need to know, you'll be going over it again anyway.
royale_sufi
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well i started off with all 3 sciences as well in my first year of AS, and i only done single science while everyone else had done much more, so you can imagine how it was.

Chemistry was really difficult for me as i just wasnt getting a lot of it (mostly because i didnt enjoy it) and i wasnt motivated enough to do the work to get it, so i ended up dropping it very early on and switching to economics

With biology, you are at no means disadvantaged than any other student. Everything in biology was practically new to everyone and we all just had to memorise stuff. Although this was the case, i didnt like it much (i am not good at memorising) so i dropped it prior to my 2nd A level year.

Physics was a different story though, i really enjoyed doing it but i did struggle during the first month or so, often getting U's in my mock exams. They often wanted to kick me off the course. I did at the end of the 2 years come out with a predicted A in it though.

This all depends on your motivation towards the subjects, if you dont like them and know less than everyone else about them... DO NOT PICK THEM.

Hope that helped.
Asclepius
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I did double award at GCSE, then Maths, Chem, Phys and Bio at AS, and I got 4 As so it shouldn't be a problem
Pigeon Explosion
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I took double science at GCSE, as that was all we were offered. I'm now doing biology, chemistry and physics at AS (and geology), and I wasn't disadvantaged compared to the people who took seperate sciences at all; I overtook most of them pretty quickly, and I'm on track for A grades. It doesn't seem to make much difference, just work hard and you'll be fine
Bateman
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It will literally take you a day to cover them yourself, AQA science is pretty useless anyway but if you want you can print off the syllabus' and read it once or twice
highachiever
Report 10 years ago
does anyone know any chemistry videos, to learn from at A level?

thx....
narutoamv
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
thanks for the help guys !!!
much appriciated
how do i rep?
shootbangfire
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I did double award, I was fine.
x_reggg
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i did separate science, then 3 sciences at A-level, but i don't think it helped much. especially after the first term.

it helped initially because you've already touched those topics before (organics especially), but then it doesn't give you any more help than that.
- skyhigh -
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
i dont think you will have any problem. Just be sure to start revising early.
Diaz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by narutoamv)
thanks for the help guys !!!
much appriciated
how do i rep?
The thumb up image on the top right of our post, (the blue bar). Click on that then its pretty self-explanatory from there.
Malsy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I only did one unit of science and that ws only additional science-so I know I will be wayyyy behind but I am willing to work HARD to catch up
royale_sufi
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by malsi101)
I only did one unit of science and that ws only additional science-so I know I will be wayyyy behind but I am willing to work HARD to catch up
Dont worry, you wont be that far behind. You might not get stuff as quickly as others do but you will be able to catch up as long as you keep up with the work. iIts simple really. Just be happy your only doing AS, it gets like 3 times as harder at A2, but dont worry about that just yet
tomster
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I only took the single science at GCSE, but will be doing chemistry + biology at A-level.

Just means I'll have to work harder.
Malsy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by royale_sufi)
Dont worry, you wont be that far behind. You might not get stuff as quickly as others do but you will be able to catch up as long as you keep up with the work. iIts simple really. Just be happy your only doing AS, it gets like 3 times as harder at A2, but dont worry about that just yet

Lol. Thanks. :yy:

But I still think it will be hard for me as I have missed a lot but I know Im not at any disadvantage to the people on my school as they don't work anyways [dont care about work like]but I know I will be to others around the country but I know to put in the hard work

Oh and thanks for the heads up on A2, but Ill leave that worry till I come to it

benwellsday
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Double-Award shouldn't make a difference if its the same as what I took two years back. All you have to do is ask the teacher if something doesn't make sense but I don't think they ever really did anything without explaining it. They know what GCSE students are like once school finishes. I went into physics, chemistry and biology sciences after doing double-award and they were all fine, its all new material anyway. Chemistry and Biology didn't go so great but that was more due to the fact that biology bored me, and chemistry is one of the hardest A-levels and I really didn't revise for that first exam.

Anyway whatever, so long as you was looking at BB or above in double science you should be able to cope easily.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.83%
No - but I will (88)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (560)
47.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed