The Student Room Group

do most the questions in the A level maths exam come from year 2?

do most or all the questions come from year 2? i know year 2 does build upon year 1 but would there be any questions that are specifically from year 1? for edexcel a level maths
Original post by anonymous230
do most or all the questions come from year 2? i know year 2 does build upon year 1 but would there be any questions that are specifically from year 1? for edexcel a level maths

The questions are based on the specification, it’s just depends on how your teacher/lecturer teaches you the spec in relation to the exam questions.
There are often parts of questions that just use Year 1 knowledge, for example, a simple differentiation question for part a. In an a level exam, there won’t usually be a full question that is just Year 1, but it could happen if it was difficult. You could look at a past paper and see how much you can already answer to get an idea of how often this happens.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by anonymous230

If we look at the most recent past paper available the 2018 paper. Of which was the second examination of the new reformed course we can see that many of the questions are usually a mixture especially the harder ones. But looking at Paper 1, Question 2 appears to be only year 1 material. It is a simple differentiation question and gives you relatively easy marks. Every paper will be different but, using this paper we can see that they do have and will exercise their ability to use just one year's worth of material.
(edited 4 years ago)
ah okay thanks a lot guys

Quick Reply

Latest