Torn betweeb Physics courses Watch

dealer91
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Im planning to study Physics at University, and am currently considering Warwick and Durham.

At warwick Im considering Maths and Physics and straight physics, but given that Im only doing FM AS, would it be better to count maths and physics out?

For durham im interested in either something like Physics + Astronomy and Natural Sciences. I don't really know which to choose from, I know Natsci probably has a larger workload, but is it lacking in important areas of physics compared with straight physics?

Any suggestions?
Spanky Deluxe
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I can't say anything about Natural Sciences since I don't think I know anyone that did it. Out of Warwick and Durham, Durham has the better reputation for Physics but Warwick has a better reputation for an enjoyable Uni experience. I know friends that went to Durham and apparently it doesn't have much to do (i.e. very few clubs etc) and its massively pretentious and full of ras.

Am I right in assuming that you haven't applied yet and are in your lower sixth year? If yes then why only mention Warwick and Durham?
dealer91
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
They are not my only choices; I intend to apply to other universities as well, but these are perhaps the universities which are more likely to desire [email protected]
kcfch
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just do what you want; dont worry about not having further maths to A2, because they will cover it in the first few weeks anyway. For Warwick, if Maths and Physics is what you want to do then do it! And as fo Durham, I dont know what other A levels youre currently doing, but maybe for NatSci it would be beneficial to have chemistry/biology as well, though its not necessary.
DomAD
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'd find Physics and Astronomy much more interesting, but if you want to do physics with maths you could always do an aea/step in maths. Warwick has a very good physics rep anyway, so i don't think there's much to chose between them in that area.
Spanky Deluxe
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'd advise to do Further Maths at A2. It'd make your life at uni much easier.
-G-a-v-
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hmm maybe. It certainly makes the transition easier, but after christmas we started on maths topics that werent covered by further maths e.g. multiple integrals, vector calculus and so on.
Spanky Deluxe
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by -G-a-v-)
Hmm maybe. It certainly makes the transition easier, but after christmas we started on maths topics that werent covered by further maths e.g. multiple integrals, vector calculus and so on.
I did multiple integrals in my pure modules in Further Maths, not that they're particularly hard. Vector calculus isn't too complex either if you've done Further Maths. In my course there was a particularly steep learning curve in the first term where everyone basically had to get up to full pure Further Maths level. I might have struggled with FM but I'm soooo glad I did it, it made life a lot easier. There's not much you have to learn on top of FM Pure really unless you do GR which I didn't do until my MSc year and even then it was optional.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (446)
37.93%
No - but I will (88)
7.48%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.8%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (562)
47.79%

Watched Threads