Special case Watch

Gabby-Ann
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
My Nan died right before my exams, in HK. And as I wasn't able to go to the funeral because of exams, I sat through all my exams, with grief. Now I just recovered from it and realised I have kind of messed up the exams. Is there still any point for me to apply for Oxford if I didn't get 3As or do they take my personal situation into consideration during selection process? Also English is not my first language and I've only been learning for 4 years.
butterfly_girl_5
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think you need to get your parents to write a convincing letter explaining how and why your grandmother's death affected your performance. it might be a problem that a grandparent isnt obviously close family, I think you need to make clear that she was in your case.

They will certainly take the fact you got qualifications in what is for you a foreign language, but if they think your english will limit your ability to do the course then that would be a problem regardless of whether or not its fair- I think this was a problem for my chinese friend who applied for economics- she was brilliant at maths and economics but her intellectual capability didnt come through her language skills as well as it could.
basically, if you got good GCSEs here that will show you managed that despite the language barrier- which will impress, but you need to impress upon them that your english matches up to your intellect- tell them you'll take a gap year to further improve your english by living here and reading books relevant to your subject if need be.
thomasjtl
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You're doing your ASs at the moment, right? In which case have your referee write in your reference how you were affected.
Swayum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I thought you got like 10% for free in the exam if your family member dies before it? Bank in on this.

And definitely apply with extenuating circumstances. It's worth a shot.

Sorry about your loss.
Gabby-Ann
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
thanks guys, bit late, but still thanx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 3 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (122)
39.74%
No - but I will (16)
5.21%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.51%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (149)
48.53%

Watched Threads