Pharmacy Uni stripped off - damaging news Watch

member9876
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
[qoute=asa]
University stripped of recognition on course

A masters degree course at the University of Wolverhampton has been stripped of its official recognition due to “serious concerns” about its leadership, it emerged today.

The Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain will no longer endorse the postgraduate degree in pharmacy and is also investigating a complaint about standards. Around 120 students are on the course.

The university today denied the course’s credibility was in jeopardy, insisting the loss of accreditation was simply because it had not appointed a chairman of the department.

Jeremy Holmes, RPSGB chief executive and registrar, said: “Following an accreditation visit in March 2008, the RPSGB imposed a number of important conditions on the university. A condition relating to pharmacy leadership remains unresolved and until this is addressed, the RPSGB will be unable to re-engage with the university.

“The society has learned students have raised concerns about standards and will investigate these too.”

The university is appealing against the decision.

Professor Sally Glen, academic pro-vice chancellor, said today: “There is no evidence of any concerns over standards or any discontent from students.”

[/quote]
Riim
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I wonder what the students must be going through. Waste of time and money.
petrolhead
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No wonder the school's in trouble if they're stripping off as the title suggests
evil groove
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by petrolhead)
No wonder the school's in trouble if they're stripping off as the title suggests
;yes; I thought this thread was going to contain mild nude-based scandal.
e-lover
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
oh my god! Some of my friends have Wolverhampton as their firm/insurance! What'll happen 2 them?
inksplodge
  • CV Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I feel sorry for the students. They must be really angry.
KAv.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
feel for the students there... what a pisstake
inksplodge
  • CV Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by e-lover)
oh my god! Some of my friends have Wolverhampton as their firm/insurance! What'll happen 2 them?
They could always ask to be released and reapply somewhere else?
evil groove
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
For past students, as well, it's a nightmare.
e-lover
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by inksplodge)
They could always ask to be released and reapply somewhere else?
hmmm, acording to a student from Wolverhampton there's word going round that they're going to affiliate themselves with another pharmacy uni. (a bit like how Keele affiliated themselves with Manchester for Medicine)
TigerSwift
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hmmmm, something similar happened to LJMU a while back, something to do with lack of professors or something. Or so i was told. We're getting re-accredited this year too.

If they sort out the problem soon enough they should be able to keep teaching the course. Its a good job they didn't have a cohort graduating this year - now that would have been a tender subject!
member9876
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by TigerSwift)
Hmmmm, something similar happened to LJMU a while back, something to do with lack of professors or something. Or so i was told. We're getting re-accredited this year too.

If they sort out the problem soon enough they should be able to keep teaching the course. Its a good job they didn't have a cohort graduating this year - now that would have been a tender subject!
What re-accredited? I thought jmu was always strongly accredited.
Irrelevance
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by member9876)
What re-accredited? I thought jmu was always strongly accredited.
Maybe it's more like re-evaluated than actually re-accredited

Poor Wolverhampton people
Random.Girl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I thought it was DMU that was having problems a little while ago? Something to do with lowering pass marks ... or adding marks to make students pass.

PS - Every uni has to be re-accredited every so often - nothing to do with if they're performing badly.
TigerSwift
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by -Emmz-)
I thought it was DMU that was having problems a little while ago? Something to do with lowering pass marks ... or adding marks to make students pass.

PS - Every uni has to be re-accredited every so often - nothing to do with if they're performing badly.
Yeah, DMU was in the limelight not too long ago for lowering pass marks way below the 40% margin as so many students failed that year... i am sure some passes went below 30%!

Yeah, LJMU is having an inspection from RPSGB this year. Its just like one of those OFSTED things that high schools and colleges have every so many years. If we pass we will be re-accredited. They will give the school a list of things to work on if there is anything wrong.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (219)
39.46%
No - but I will (38)
6.85%
No - I don't want to (37)
6.67%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (261)
47.03%

Watched Threads