I think I might have to drop out :( Help please... Watch

dd1989
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Since I live in Scotland and study here, my loan/bursary is from the SAAS.

Last year (first year) I was able to access the full loan abount of £5054 to pay for my living costs, and this just got me by.

The reason I got the full loan is because my mum is fairly poor, she makes hardly anything, and not enough to be taxed on put it that way.

However, this year when applying for my second year loan, I have discovered that they now consider my step-father's income.

My step-dad makes a fair wack of money, however, since he has three children of his own, I don't have any support from him at all (I don't have any from my mum either).

This means my loan has been calculated at £3427

That's a difference of £1627.

I don't have this much money, my accommodation is £4442 next year, so my loan doesn't even cover it, and even with a job I'm going to struggle to pay rent, not to mention living costs.

The problem is however, that looking at this

http://www.saas.gov.uk/student_support/contrib_four.htm

You can see the table of parental contribution, and above it says in a 2006 law parents have an obligation to help at the levels indicated in the table.

My mum and step dad are reufing to help me at all, which means I'm going to lose out on £1600.

Any ideas? (I don't want "get a job" - that's obvious, but I can't work loads during term time because I find university genuinely quite hard, and I have to study loads to get decent marks)
Luize
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
can you get a full time job during summer and holidays?
Sell any things you don't need?
look into the university hardship fund?
Sapphire_Eyes
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What about your real biological Dad can he not give you help or advise?

Explain that you are not getting financial help from the Step parent to the Finace service

Is there any burseys or grants from university your entitled to?
princess_sue
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
im so sorry that you are in this situation. You shouldn't have to worry about money when you need to be studying hard, and I'm like you there is no way I could have got a job because I wanted a decent mark.
Maybe try looking at banks which will give you a good overdraft....I know its more debt but with your degree you will pay it back in no time. My friend has 3 bank accounts all with 2K overdraft shes used that for accommodation expenses and general living.

good luck
dd1989
Rep:
?
I have contacted the university about the hardship fund but they told me they would only give it to students who had accessed the full loan amount, which I'm not able to.

I'm looking for a job at the moment, I've applied to literally everywhere, and so far everywhere has said sorry we have no places, including supermarkets, shops, chip shops, cafes, etc etc.
mark_otbc
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by dd1989
[url
)

http://www.saas.gov.uk/student_support/contrib_four.htm[/url]

You can see the table of parental contribution, and above it says in a 2006 law parents have an obligation to help at the levels indicated in the table.
You answered it yourself - it may be a bit mean, but print it off and show it to your step-dad that by law he has to help at that level.
If not, and if you really still want to stay on and dont mind about peeing him off, tell him he is breaking the law and that you are considering going to court.
Sorry, it's all I can suggest!
MuseValheru
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Its a difficult one, you could do drug trials. I know it sounds dodgy but it pays well. Thats all I can think of, thats the system and theres no way around it. I have a shortfall off about the same however, I earnt good money in a gap year and saved it all to cover my costs.

You could take a year out, work and save then go back to your course.
Sapphire_Eyes
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Bar work in the evenings/weekends would get some money away

how far is it to travel from home to uni? do you live at uni? can you move back if its close enough?
ch0c0h01ic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
How about doing what most students have to do, get a bank loan and/or overdraft? It's what those of us have to do who don't get bursaries, don't get supported by our parents and can't have/get a job.

Feel fortunate that for your first year the government supported you in every way, many don't receive such help at all.
Luize
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
you tried a temping agency for the summer? office work? data entry? or factory work? packing boxes etc. boring but it can pay well.
SmilerNuts
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Sapphire_Eyes)
Bar work in the evenings/weekends would get some money away

how far is it to travel from home to uni? do you live at uni? can you move back if its close enough?
He lives around 200 miles from the uni so no, that's not an option.
faber niger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That's pathetic: mainly that your step-dad is such a tight arse. You shouldn't have to risk performing less well than your more affluent counterparts by getting a job. I think that in this case there should be legislation in order to make your step-dad pay up (as it's equally not necessarily the responsibility of the government when your family can afford it, even if they don't want to give you the money) -- if he didn't want to take on such responsibilities, he shouldn't have married your mother.

Have you phoned your local authority -- or whomever it is that is giving you the loan -- to explain your situation?
dd1989
Rep:
?
-I have looked for jobs everywhere, like literally, there are 6 jobs listed within 20 miles of my house on Job Centre Plus, all of them are permnanent only and 4 of them needed certain experience and skills.

-As for my read dad - haha, you'd have more luck with a brick wall.

- My overdaft is maxed out, I used it for living costs last year, and the bank are refusing to put it up any more because I don't have enough income going into the account.

- I have explained to the loan/bursary people that my Step dad cannot and will not help me, they don't seem to care, and they certainly don't care that he has three children under the age of 18 because they are not classed as being in higher/futher education, so there can't be any deductions made.

-I can't commute to uni, it's over 200 miles away in the highlands of Scotland, and the only decent uni that does my RTPI accredited course that I would be accepted into.
dd1989
Rep:
?
Oh, and to make matters worse my mum told me last night she doesn't actually care or not whether I get a degree.
ch0c0h01ic
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by dd1989)
- My overdaft is maxed out, I used it for living costs last year, and the bank are refusing to put it up any more because I don't have enough income going into the account.
So you had a £5K+ government grant to cover rent and living costs and still managed to max out your overdraft? Try living a bit more conservatively would be my biggest hint. I live in one of the most expensive places in the country and still manage to get my rent and living expenses to come to much less than what you're spending.

You should also get another overdraft entitlement this/next year as well (ie; your bank will probably offer you £1+K a year, per year that you are at uni), go into your bank and discuss your situation.
faber niger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oh, and to make matters worse my mum told me last night she doesn't actually care or not whether I get a degree.
That's symptomatic of coming from a working-class home: I do too, I'm not judging! Life can be hard, can't it?
ch0c0h01ic
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well it depends on what degree you're getting but dare i say that many students are going to uni for the sake of it (ie; the experience) and they could do the same job without a degree, making the debt and time unnecessary.

If you fall into this category, think, is it really worth X more years of your life and X thousands of pounds in debt.
SmilerNuts
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
How on earth did you manage to max out your overdraft if you were recieving a bigger student loan than most people last year? If you've got yourself in a financial mess, it sounds like it's your own fault.

Not to mention you were planning on spending 88% of this years loan on accommodation, that's not much for food or living costs.
Jamin
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Why not try take out a loan?
Or maybe see if your uni offers some kind of help?

just try not to go out as much this year/ budget more etc.
GemmyMonster
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hmm, I'd say speak to your uni - they don't want people dropping out, after all.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (524)
37.62%
No - but I will (109)
7.82%
No - I don't want to (95)
6.82%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (665)
47.74%

Watched Threads